2 replies to this topic

#1 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:37 PM

Overall I think the MW5 closed beta makes mech combat feel better than MWO and every other mechwarrior before it, but there's some things that could use adjustment that would really improve the experience, hopefully by the devs, but who knows maybe we'll see some good mods.
  • In first person view the footsteps are slower and more appropriate to the pace of MW5, yet in 3rd person view the footsteps seem twice as fast and the difference seems odd when switching back and forth (this was experienced in a Warhammer).
  • Weapons don't have a "ready" indicator sound, or visual indicator closer to the crosshairs (like the weapon groups ready indicators in MWO), so it requires glancing away more than preferred to know when a weapon is ready to fire again.
  • In some missions any enemy spawn wave can often appear to teleport in right in front of you which is a bit of a jarring behavior, the game should detect when its too close to the player and maybe move the spawn location somewhere else unless they are arriving in a dropship.
  • Jump jets only feel good in light mechs, for all other classes they are too slow and floaty. Heavy and Assault mechs are the worst, and reminds me too much of how bad jets are in MWO. For inspiration of what they should feel like see the Battlech PC game.
  • Tone down the cannon fodder a bit later in the game, so for more challenging missions there's not much reason to have hardly any harassers, one shot turrets, and one shot VTOLs, instead have a reasonable amount of those heavier VTOL, turrets and tanks that take a bit more to destroy.
  • Flamethrowers seem to be the only projectile which tear up my framerate, tanking it down from 70 to 20fps (nVidia GTX970, intel i5 9th gen).
If I can think of more I'll edit, but it goes to show my list is short and sweet because overall good time with it Posted Image

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 07 December 2019 - 06:05 PM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 07 December 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Overall I think the MW5 closed beta makes mech combat feel better than MWO and every other mechwarrior before it, but there's some things that could use adjustment that would really improve the experience, hopefully by the devs, but who knows maybe we'll see some good mods.
  • In first person view the footsteps are slower and more appropriate to the pace of MW5, yet in 3rd person view the footsteps seem twice as fast and the difference seems odd when switching back and forth (this was experienced in a Warhammer).

That would require redoing animations of all the mechs.. Since the animations are imported from MWO and PGI lacks an animation team, that will never happen.
In truth all their animations had to be redone. The HBS BT crew said the model sharing PGI provided also included all the animations, but they were "unusable", both in respect to the game style...and because in comparison HBS BT did far better animations. If PGI could do good animations, well MWO would look a lot better....Most of the mechs recycle animations with tweaks.

Weapons don't have a "ready" indicator sound, or visual indicator closer to the crosshairs (like the weapon groups ready indicators in MWO), so it requires glancing away more than preferred to know when a weapon is ready to fire again.

I agree, but considering how surprisingly spammy they are I'm surprised people are noticing. (I was afraid my mod would have weapons shooting far too often, but in some cases my mod would reduce the firing rate and I'm pumping in laser machine guns [MW3/lore-style pulse lasers] and multi-shot lasers.)

In some missions any enemy spawn wave can often appear to teleport in right in front of you which is a bit of a jarring behavior, the game should detect when its too close to the player and maybe move the spawn location somewhere else unless they are arriving in a dropship.

Supposedly being addressed.

Jump jets only feel good in light mechs, for all other classes they are too slow and floaty. Heavy and Assault mechs are the worst, and reminds me too much of how bad jets are in MWO. For inspiration of what they should feel like see the Battlech PC game.

I don't even think they feel right in lights, and the rest... well MWO style mechanics. It's on my list of **** to mod.

Tone down the cannon fodder a bit later in the game, so for more challenging missions there's not much reason to have hardly any harassers, one shot turrets, and one shot VTOLs, instead have a reasonable amount of those heavier VTOL, turrets and tanks that take a bit more to destroy.

Economic reasons I should think. Though that said, all the vehicles are too easily destroyed and generally start quite damaged in most of the instant action missions. Otherwise the "ever rare assault mech" will basically be the only thing ever thrown at you late game. A harsh criticism of HBS BT was going that route. Smarter enemies, and either reasonable health to cope with the weapons used against them or fix the health/damage ratio (I wish I could say they have 1x structure/armor versus mech 2x BT structure/armor and weapons are spamming out 1x damage per shot at a really fast rate of 12+ damage ratings per minute [as opposed to BT's 6 damage ratings, but in they generally have less as they're dying in shots that wouldn't even kill more than a 5 ton hovercraft as tanks.)

Flamethrowers seem to be the only projectile which tear up my framerate, tanking it down from 70 to 20fps (nVidia GTX970, intel i5 9th gen).

Addressed before the beta, but apparently didn't make it into the beta somehow according to PGI's discord.

Edited by Koniving, 07 December 2019 - 09:30 PM.

#3 kutkip

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 07 December 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

• Weapons don't have a "ready" indicator sound, or visual indicator closer to the crosshairs (like the weapon groups ready indicators in MWO), so it requires glancing away more than preferred to know when a weapon is ready to fire again.

Options -> gameplay -> last option

At least i think that is what you mean :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users