Static Engines And Armor In Mw5?!

33 replies to this topic

#1 DieGruneMorder

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:26 PM

I am to seriously believe that you cant change engines or equip ferro....double heat sinks either in MW5???? WHY???!!! Why would they do this!? It makes no sense!! Why in the hell would they take away any customization options?? Its the biggest reason these games are awesome.... Please tell me im missing something, because this is ridiculous.......

#2 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:05 AM

Because it's closer to the source material than MWO's free customisation. I like it. It means you have to work around the limitations of particular variants.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:06 AM

No, it is a conscious decision to have fixed armour types and engines. It is just like HBS's Battletech. Then came Roguetech and modded everything. So, for now, you can only customise weapon types based on the hardpoint size.

If I'm to make sense of it then it was done this way to make the game as identical to the goings-on in the actual Battletech lore. Full customization wasn't a thing except to add spice in MWO.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:06 AM

Well, you can equip double heatsinks when you have them in your inventory. This won't swap the ones in the engine, I believe.
Some Mechs, like the King Crab 000B should be equipped with Ferro, but I haven't checked that in detail yet.

#5 DieGruneMorder

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:43 AM

Its really lame, you could go more in depth in Mech 2 for fricks sake!!! I think its a lazy cop-out and it sucks.

#6 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:23 AM

View PostDieGruneMorder, on 11 December 2019 - 12:43 AM, said:

Its really lame, you could go more in depth in Mech 2 for fricks sake!!! I think its a lazy cop-out and it sucks.

I would respectfully disagree.

Making mech customization unlimited narrows the choice of mechs down to looks and hit boxes.

Restricting customization makes mech choice a deeper decision about speed, armour and weapons.

A problem with MWO is what is the point of some of the variants?

Although I would accept at this point in the franchise it does seem like taking candy away.

#7 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

View PostDieGruneMorder, on 11 December 2019 - 12:43 AM, said:

It's not a lazy cop out. It's a conscious design decision. You'd have no reason to swap out to a new mech if you fully optimize any mech you came across, and removes some of the flavor of each mech. Full customization just turns mechs into indistinct gun bags.

#8 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

Relax, you're not gonna have trouble murdering the terrible AI

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:30 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 11 December 2019 - 12:06 AM, said:

No, it is a conscious decision to have fixed armour types and engines. It is just like HBS's Battletech. Then came Roguetech and modded everything. So, for now, you can only customise weapon types based on the hardpoint size.

If I'm to make sense of it then it was done this way to make the game as identical to the goings-on in the actual Battletech lore. Full customization wasn't a thing except to add spice in MWO.

You’re doing great work Frag, just wanted to tell you that. I fear for your health though, from fatigue of ‘keepin it rl’

#10 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:30 AM

MW5 more closely follows classic battletech construction rules. The lack of ECM or Beagle Probes though on any mech in the game, even in instant action mode which unlocks everything is that the timeline only goes to about 3040 currently (both were re-introduced to battletech in 3045) and a lot of what became available for "construction" were things which could only be factory-equipped. You couldn't for example change the mech's skeleton structure as a field-refit, and also even just repairing a damaged endo-steel structure was a lot more expensive than replacing pieces of ferro-fibrous armor. That's why soooo many mechs got FF instead of Endo steel. There are mech variants in the game which have the FF armor as stock (Mauler 1R for example) so we do eventually get access in the campaign. If you strip the armor from that mauler, you get 11.5 tons of tonnage freed up which is exactly what should be the result given the info in the 3050 TRO entry for that mauler. Although of course if the game sells well enough that Microsoft grants a license renewal next year then they'll probably offer DLC expansions that move the timeline forward with new campaigns.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Refit_Kit

Edited by Dee Eight, 11 December 2019 - 03:46 AM.

#11 RacerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:09 AM

Mechwarrior 4 leveraged a similar customization limitation. Each mech had hard point restrictions similar to it's role in lore.

I do have gripes about the game. Salvage system seems artificially restrictive, drop weights should be recommendations and not hard limits (honestly, what does my employer care if I drop in four atlas'), and I would love to start in the CIC instead of the Mech Bay's only non-working terminal. You know, little things that would overall increase my enjoyment of the game. :)

#12 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:31 AM

View PostRacerX, on 11 December 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

I would love to start in the CIC instead of the Mech Bay's only non-working terminal.

I think we will grow to hate those stairs...Posted Image

#13 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:37 AM

View PostThe Amazing Atomic Spaniel, on 11 December 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

I think we will grow to hate those stairs...Posted Image

You can just jump down.....

#14 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:57 AM

View PostNightbird, on 11 December 2019 - 01:27 AM, said:

Relax, you're not gonna have trouble murdering the terrible AI

The AI is way better than the beta. Go to the discord, there's people struggling to beat the first 4 missions. Do instant action with difficulty at 100. The AI uses cover and focuses your damaged locations and focuses your main weapon locations.

If the AI coordinated to focus fire it'd be MRBC Div C difficulty, give them all good mechs and more like Div B.

The AI is reasonably balanced for the campaign given I have to pay for repairs. Even putting real effort into protecting my Cents arm I've lost that AC10 more playing all day yesterday then in 100 MWO drops. I managed to find an LB10X - I'll probably put that in the Shad because it'll just get blown out on the Cent.

Strip leg armor in instant action and you're likely to get legged out.

You've functionally been playing the combat part of this game at a competitive level for a thousand plus hours. Your success vs the AI is not indicative of the standard. Go listen in the MW5 Discord.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:58 AM

you can access all tabs from any workstation in the ship, you just need to move through the Leopard to speak to NPC's.

#16 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:06 AM

Instead of giving every mech a loadout that isn't terrible on purpose; now almost everything has to be terrible. Creates a very narrow meta and leaves only a few mechs at the top.

Other than that, decent game I guess.

Edited by Prototelis, 11 December 2019 - 07:06 AM.

#17 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:08 AM

In MWO we have free customization but that is also why bracket tabletop builds are trash and there is only min maxing with a few best mechs. Congrats you ve narrowed everything down to a bare minimum.

Actually i do not even touch armor in mw5 to make each mech even more unique. I dont do the armor relocation and keep it vanilla. The most i d do is swap weapons, remove jumpjets.
Thats why i have to think between variants. Have a fragile srm12 brawler javelin or a more tough but less damaging 4 medlaser variant. etc

I wish you could not swap armor points either by default. Or that you had a special gamemode for that.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 11 December 2019 - 07:13 AM.

#18 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:22 AM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 11 December 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

In MWO we have free customization but that is also why bracket tabletop builds are trash and there is only min maxing with a few best mechs. Congrats you ve narrowed everything down to a bare minimum.

lol no; the meta in MWO is a lot more broad than this game or the board game.

#19 Button man

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:24 AM

i had not thought about armour and stuff but i am glad in a way that this cannot be changed yet, it is closer to source material if memory serves..down the road if this is successful then i am sure it will be different

#20 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:26 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 December 2019 - 07:06 AM, said:

Instead of giving every mech a loadout that isn't terrible on purpose; now almost everything has to be terrible. Creates a very narrow meta and leaves only a few mechs at the top.

Other than that, decent game I guess.

As time goes on enemies can get better mechs and use higher tier gear.

I foresee a mod involving optimized variants and putting those in rotation for the AI. Next is an AI tweak to have the AI coordinate more and you've got something more challenging for experienced MWO players that would mop the floor with the average MW5 joystick jockey.

I'm eager to see the mod tools.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users