Mw5 Ppc Range

12 replies to this topic

#1 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

Does MW5 PPC have a min range like in MWO? Doesn't say.

#2 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:25 PM

Don't quote me on this but I think there might be a damage drop but not quite zero. In one of the very early missions I encountered a Griffin with just a PPC and LRM. I parked myself in front of it, well within what we would consider minimum range in MWO and shot its cockpit off. It couldn't use the LRMs but did shoot the PPC at me and inflicted some damage but my Javelin ate a lot more shots than the amount of damage it actually suffered.

(Side note: I could not salvage the chassis due to lack of salvage points. 15 were necessary :( )

#3 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostChapeL, on 11 December 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

Don't quote me on this but I think there might be a damage drop but not quite zero. In one of the very early missions I encountered a Griffin with just a PPC and LRM. I parked myself in front of it, well within what we would consider minimum range in MWO and shot its cockpit off. It couldn't use the LRMs but did shoot the PPC at me and inflicted some damage but my Javelin ate a lot more shots than the amount of damage it actually suffered.

(Side note: I could not salvage the chassis due to lack of salvage points. 15 were necessary Posted Image )

That sounds about right for what it should be.. based on source materials.. hard to use in close and goofy low damage

#4 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

I think these PPC have no min range but have the "safety" off which will cause disruption to all units within 90m of impact, which probably includes yourself.

At least that's what I gather from the description of the weapon in game and from having taken damage from one that fired at me within 90m.

Edited by Funky Bacon, 11 December 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#5 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

Yup.
It's actually quite useful close range, and preferable to the ER PPC.

View PostFunky Bacon, on 11 December 2019 - 02:33 PM, said:

I think these PPC have no min range but have the "safety" off which will cause disruption to all units within 90m of impact, which probably includes yourself.

It causes damage at brawling range -90 m

#6 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 11 December 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

Yup.
It's actually quite useful close range, and preferable to the ER PPC.

It causes damage at brawling range -90 m

But does it cause Full damage is the question:)

#7 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:43 PM

That's a new question Posted Image

#8 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:05 PM

No min range but within 90m you get sensor disruption

#9 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:39 PM

If the weapon had a minimum range I'd expect it would lockout the weapon similar to when you fire LRMs when your target is in brawler range.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

View PostGantry, on 11 December 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

Does MW5 PPC have a min range like in MWO? Doesn't say.

No.
But you do get the disruption and it is compoundedly worse for multiple PPCs.

In the source material, "min range" is a minimum accuracy range penalty to your chance of hitting due to the field inhibitor degrading the PPC's firing time (by making it build up over time before firing). Switching it off removes the min accuracy range penalty, otherwise you just have a decreased chance of hitting the target due to the same reason you would in MWO with a Gauss Rifle up close -- the charge up time.

In MW5 Mercs there's no charge up time, and since in BT/most MW games EXCEPT MWO, there's no magic no damage range of >90 meters.

Side note
In Mw5, when design was partially led by Jordan Weissman, (pre-MWO) PPCs were going to have a charge up mechanic.

(To note, that supposedly wasn't so much a straight stackpole but an ammo explosion distablizing the reactor, which then caused a stackpole. Though I'm sure you've noticed if you do a certain amount of internal damage to an engine upon killing a mech they will stackpole in MW5 Mercs.)

Edited by Koniving, 11 December 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

That was the planning/concept phase for the original MW5 trailer, under Dev Blog 0 on MWO forums.

Side note -- got some praise that I didn't realize back when I originally saw this.
The Agra 3-L medium lasers are correctly colored from the novels.
Atlas's Defiance B3M medium lasers are also correctly colored.

Though I wonder if this is just coincidence because both medium lasers are red. I say this because that is specified to be an Atlas C, which doesn't yet exist and does not have torso lasers; it is a derivative of the Atlas K (K for Kurita and C for draconis Combine). It's noteworthy in that like the K, it is one of only 3 Atlas AS7 models to have 20 tubes for the LRM-20 (all other AS7 models have 5 tubes for the LRM 20 and a firing rate of 5 missiles every 2.5 seconds). Its an issue otherwise left unaddressed until the Atlas AS8 models of the new generation.

(Its also sporting 6 medium lasers in the CT, or two medium lasers with 3 barrels (multi-barrel lasers do exist in the BT universe and is more of a brand specific thing that never translates into the artwork. Defiance is not one of the companies that actually does this, and its a trait more commonly associated with pulse lasers than regular ones.)

Edited by Koniving, 11 December 2019 - 07:34 PM.

#12 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 December 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

stuff

*always uses outdated footage

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 11 December 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

*always uses outdated footage

Thought of it. (Side note... Thought this was for another thread about the Urban mech acceleration, and that you said "Could always use outdated footage.")
Spoiler

Here, outdated footage makes sense. I was talking about how PGI originally handled it under the direction of the franchise co-creator and visionary of how it should be done.
As such, if telling how it was done ages ago, then yep.. gotta use footage for how it was done back then.

Edited by Koniving, 11 December 2019 - 08:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users