Mw5 Inhouse Rules For Build Restrictions.

8 replies to this topic

#1 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:08 PM

So i ve been following the rules for mw5 mech configuration or lack thereof. The goal was to make each mech varian more unique and particularly valuable based on the exact weapon and armor loadout that it has.

0) You never ever touch the armor distribution between components. Keep it vanilla and in line with AI mechs. You are not allowed to increase or decrease armor.

1) Laser types can not be changed. IE you have 3 medium lasers and a large laser. You cant switch the mediums to small and the large to medium. You can only switch the large to ER large.

Can you switch lasers to pulse lasers and vice versa? mmm i dont think so. If you want pulse lasers you have to try and grab the particular mech variant like the crabs or the annihilator. Get the pokemon as they say.

2) SRM and LRM slots are not interchangeable. Vanilla LRM stays LRM.

3) Weapon caliber is not interchangeable: LRM15 stays LRM15. You can switch LRM15 to LRM15-ST and vice versa but not to LRM 10 or 20. You can switch AC10 to AC10-burst and vice versa but not to ac 5 or 20. You probably can freely upgrade to artemis (sacrificing the heatsinks to compensate for the weight).

You cant switch AC20 for a gauss. If you want a gauss weapon you go for a particular mech variant. For example, there is an AC20 Victor and separately there is a Gauss Victor variant. You want gauss? you have to find the pokemon. Like the Nightstar.

The big question: can you switch AC for ULTRA AC or LB? What do you think about it? I have not encountered any LB or UAC mechs yet and i cant comment on that. I also dont know how rare are these weapons yet. Have seen none.

4)Flamer stay flamer, machinegun stays machinegun.

5) You can remove all jumpjets freely. Lets face it. The jumpjets are pretty useless and even more so in the hands of AI wingmen.

6) You can remove NARC?

7) Add or delete as much ammo or heatsinks as you like. You are not allowed to remove weapons for extra heatsinks. Hot mechs stay hot.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 11 December 2019 - 11:18 PM.

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:26 PM

Their is nothing stopping you from following those rules
As long they are not forced upon me.
Enjoi

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:57 PM

I could try those rules for maybe 1/4th of the way but I'd get bored real fast playing the same build hoping that one particular variant with a pulse laser appears enough times for me to salvage it.

#4 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:48 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 11 December 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

I could try those rules for maybe 1/4th of the way but I'd get bored real fast playing the same build hoping that one particular variant with a pulse laser appears enough times for me to salvage it.

Well i think of it as if the pulse lasers are luxury and not by any means a guaranteed weapon. Its not like you need them to beat the game.
Just browsing through the mech variants i can see that 90+% of mechs do not have pulse lasers. That means that this weapon type is incredibly scarce and would be hardly accessible if it was in real life.

You can get a couple of pulse lasers here and there on rare weapon events and the big reward quests. And then stumble into a pulse laser mech variant. You ll have problems with spare weapons for replacement though.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 12 December 2019 - 12:51 AM.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:01 AM

The Pulse Lasers in HBS's Battletech is rare as well. I get that they're rare and expensive weapons to be found on just about any mech you can see. My concern is restricting myself to using pulse lasers only on mechs that come equipped with them.

#6 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

"I bought a Mechwarrior game to ignore the Mechbay mechanics as much as possible"

You do you man

#7 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:58 AM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 11 December 2019 - 11:08 PM, said:

The big question: can you switch AC for ULTRA AC or LB? What do you think about it? I have not encountered any LB or UAC mechs yet and i cant comment on that. I also dont know how rare are these weapons yet. Have seen none.

Lore-wise, it is a good question. An LB 10-X is smaller and lighter than an AC-10, and the UAC-10 and 20 are the same size as their parent designs, so I can't realistically see much issue with switching those, but in the case of the UAC-2 and 5 and the other LB models, they're larger than their parent designs. Of course, this would only apply to the UAC-5's case in this game with the current timeline.

Edited by Gentleman Reaper, 12 December 2019 - 01:56 PM.

#8 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostGentleman Reaper, on 12 December 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Lore-wise, it is a good question. An LB 10-X is smaller and lighter than an AC-10, and the UAC-10 and 20 are the same size as their parent deisgns, so I can't realistically see much issue with switching those, but in the case of the UAC-2 and 5 and the other LB models, they're larger than their parent designs. Of course, this would only apply to the UAC-5's case in this game with the current timeline.

Well maybe for gameplay reasons you might allow to replace ac 5 with uac 5. Just because the weapon itself is extra rare and then the mechs with said weapons are also rare. YOu have slightly better chance to use it. You ofc sacrifice the -1 ton and a heatsink.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

i find the lack of pulse laser availability highly disturbing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users