Gameplay General BattleMechs

12 replies to this topic

#1 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:09 AM

So I finally managed to download my top tier preordered mw5.

Wow dang, it’s soooo boring compare to mwo.

Like I really like how mechs swing their arms when running, when you can kool aid man buildings and stomp tanks, that is very cool.

But the story, the voice acting, the cast?

I miss the likes of deadeye Duncan, it’s just, not enough back story lore that provides the immersion!

Such a waste of so many gameplay potential.....

If only they can let Jordan Weisman and paradox interactive does the story, lore and map / stage setting while PGI focus on gameplay and pew pew, that would made a top tier game...

On the bright side, now I really cherish mwo and your typical potato scrubs that beats A.I. Anytime cause unlike mw5 outsmarting a real player feels so much more sastiflying.

Makes me kinda glad PGI did mwo first then mw5. The other way around could had been a complete distaster

TLDR: lack or lore + good immersion kills mw5 for me. Back to nascar in mwo

#2 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:47 AM

Oh man Deadeye "How does it feel to be strapped into a walking nuke reactor at 6 am" Duncan

#3 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:18 PM

Yes, it is very undewhelming storywise. It feels like the Battletech career mode. No epicness, no hard decisions, I do not care if my lance mates die.

I still enjoy it though, it is like a 8/10 for Battletech fans.
As a game for non Battletech nerds it is very mediocre.

That said, 8 hours in it and I love it.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

what it does right is good, i like that you are forever trying to maintain a stock of spare parts. that the top tier weapon you just procured could be shot off with reckless abandon. i like how it can take weeks to repair a busted assault mech, i used my victor twice before it got butchered. i kind of like the way salvage is done. but one thing i thought was weird was i picked up a cicada as salvage, and when i got to the shop all that was left was a bit of head structure. those techs must be pretty amazing to be able to turn a bit of head structure into a battlemech. i think i would have had it so you need at least 3 components to be able to rebuild the mech, such that you could also loose mechs if they take too much damage, or use parts from one to repair another.

but there are so many unpolished details. like the field repair bay in that one mission, why isnt there more of that. or that one mission where you got to go fetch the crates, why isnt there more crate fetching? walk through the right warehouse you might find some goodies inside, some lostech perhaps. the missions are all kind of the same. it has a farcry 2 feel to it, a beautiful game ruined by horrible mission scripting. why cant we have god tier mission scripting like what you had in the freespace games? i think i compared the ship scenes as reminiscent of unreal 2, though i really hope at some point you can unlock a union class, i need more stuff. where is my damn union class, there was one in the teaser.

#5 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

Sometimes it feels like the had changed direction in the design of the game. Like they wanted to do a more story focused thing then went with the random missions thing instead.

#6 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:01 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 December 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

what it does right is good, i like that you are forever trying to maintain a stock of spare parts. that the top tier weapon you just procured could be shot off with reckless abandon. i like how it can take weeks to repair a busted assault mech, i used my victor twice before it got butchered. i kind of like the way salvage is done. but one thing i thought was weird was i picked up a cicada as salvage, and when i got to the shop all that was left was a bit of head structure. those techs must be pretty amazing to be able to turn a bit of head structure into a battlemech. i think i would have had it so you need at least 3 components to be able to rebuild the mech, such that you could also loose mechs if they take too much damage, or use parts from one to repair another.

but there are so many unpolished details. like the field repair bay in that one mission, why isnt there more of that. or that one mission where you got to go fetch the crates, why isnt there more crate fetching? walk through the right warehouse you might find some goodies inside, some lostech perhaps. the missions are all kind of the same. it has a farcry 2 feel to it, a beautiful game ruined by horrible mission scripting. why cant we have god tier mission scripting like what you had in the freespace games? i think i compared the ship scenes as reminiscent of unreal 2, though i really hope at some point you can unlock a union class, i need more stuff. where is my damn union class, there was one in the teaser.

cause piranha that is why.

#7 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:05 PM

I don't understand the comparison between MW5 and MWO but I agree with almost everything in the OP. But one key thing here... there's a lot of less annoying things in MW5 than MWO. I mean, I can actually issue commands and the team does intelligent things whereas in MWO, it's like herding cats.

The only thing MWO is good for now is FW but if you're trying to drop solo, GL not getting skipped 2-3 times in a row. Just play MW5. I'd definitely avoid QP, especially if there's no event to make me play MWO.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:09 PM

So much negative, when there is actually a lot of great things about the game.

It's odd to me that I'm more surprised by the criticisms that have been generated, rather than see more happy gamers.

It's a single player game with co-op elements. It's not your wet dream made manifest.

It's the best mechwarrior game made to date. That's a fact, and to say otherwise is severe delusion. Seriously, take off your nostalgia goggles.

It's not MWO. Stop comparing it to MWO. They are entirely different games. Yes, if the reason that you play video games is to play against other people online, you will not find that in MW5.

You get to be a lance commander in the battletech universe and travel across the inner sphere in 3015, roaming around wrecking havoc on planets and salvaging mechs and weapons along the way.

There is no other game like MW5 on the market or has ever been. Battletech is close in execution of management systems, but is turn-based and not real-time.

Jump jet mechanics in MW5 are better
Weapons are better
Graphics are waaayy better*. This one confuses me the most. I have a GTX 1060 and this game looks and runs absolutely fantastic. (Could have been the patch?) *Unless you're technologically incompetent
Has salvage mechanics
The procedurally generated maps actually look very nice. Decent number of biomes, but needs more.
The AI is much improved from the demo, and does a fantastic job for the game and what it's supposed to do. Try mid-game when your running into assaults with a medium lance.
Lancemate pathing is some of the best I've seen and also improved from the demo.
The economics of keeping your company above the red, the repair screen,
Mech Innards, Mech damage
projectile drop-off
projectile behavior
destructible environments
sound
cool soundtrack
Explosions
mech descriptions
size of maps

Come on people, wake up and actually enjoy a damn good game.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 13 December 2019 - 12:47 AM.

#9 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:33 AM

MW5 isn't perfect, but I'm amazed they managed to deliver so much on what must have been a tight budget. They have got the feel of driving a big mech far better than any previous MW game and the stuff beyond the combat is also really well done. MWO is going to feel very flat after playing MW5.

#10 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:03 AM

I can't wait till modders figure out how to make it MW5 PVP...

The architecture is already there for "low lag, close range" games to be PVP with minimal work. 1vs1 all the way to 2vs2, 1vs4 +/- (what they call in WOW) NPCs.

It'll be like the old days, in college playing Doom over LAN, anything beyond 100 miles was unplayable. Now it could be several hundred miles, easy.

Don't need big algorithms to call hits if nobody has any lag to speak of..

#11 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:57 AM

I'm having a lot fun with MW5!
The core gameplay is great fun and very atmospheric!
Graphics are great, game plays very smooth, sounds are good.
Destructable buildings gives you extra strategies and ways how to fight the enemy.
It just makes you grin when playing.

Campaign and managing the Merc company is great fun. Campaign is similiar to a non story campaign from BattleTech, but I haven't finished it to be able to say if there will get more story heavy towards the end..
I am okay with it though.
I finished the story in BattleTech once and now just keep playing normal campaigns.

There are still a few bugs.
I have seen legged light mechs start running at full speed again.
Spawns from nowhere (suddenly been surrounded by 5 tanks).

And things I would like to see.
Would be great to be able to change the Logo of your Merc Company and not just the name.
And actually be able to choose your own callsign.
Changing the names for your Pilots would be nice too.

Edited by Trystan Thorne, 13 December 2019 - 03:11 AM.

#12 Forrest_3

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSkye

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

Game freezes, lag etc.. Only on this game MW5. ALL my other MMO games WoT, War thunder etc...Play just fine. Decreased graphics to Medium to no avail. Anyone else?

Edited by Forrest_3, 03 January 2020 - 01:09 PM.

#13 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

Never had a crash in 86+ hours of play. I did have some stuttering, lowering the shadows to low improved that a lot. Since upgrading my GPU from an RX560 to an RX580 and adding more memory, I have had no noticeable issues with everything on high and draw distance to far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users