Mw5 - My Point Of View

4 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

Haveing played MW5Mercs for some time now I will try to layout what I think.

First thing that comes to my mind is "I see potential". That is good and bad at the same time because it means that the game could grow, may it be by patches or mods but it also means that PGI missed some stuff that could have made this game much better.

The first moment, when I started the campaing, was "OMG they realy did a full story with walking around in the base and talking to people???"
Then came the tutorial where I was...okay lets get this over with and a very cheese cutscene at the end and you are on the dropship, you talk to two characters that where very static and then...nothingness.

While its cool running around the hangar and looking at mechs and I love doing that, the battle damage states look very nice and are fitting to the damage the mech received, it still makes me sad every time I land in the hangar after a mission because there is Fahad, standing and giveing me the silent treatment. (I know he talks to you later but in game it was years later ! )

I know PGI isn't the Bioware of old. I should not aspect a Mass Effect like presentation but the hangar and the characters just screem at me "We want to be more then a walkable menu".

That bring me to the next point where I think PGI would have done good for themself by takeing the route of HBS Battletech. Do a story focused campaign, smaller in scope but with more character and make an extra mode for all who want the free roaming experiance where they can work for their prefered house, pirates or whatever.

Frankly if PGI did a just 7 hours (realworld playtime) campaign centered around a single world but pack those few hours with an emotionaly binding story, dosn't has to be a good. Remeber the first Grey Death novels? Not award winning stuff but you could easly relate to Greyson and go with the flow. End of the Story would be that you end up with haveing your own small Merc group and THEN, AFTER the story, you would be released into the open world that we have now with generated missions.

Sure that is my ideal idea on how I would have loved it to be but I also understand that PGI is a small developer. Even with the additional crew they have hired its still a small studio with limited resources in people, knowhow and most importently, time & money.

I just hope that they will cooperate with the community to release tools or help with mod development by not standing in the way. For example by closeing up parts of the game that would need modifications.

I realy hope that PGI reads this and I also hope that some of the people that worked in it will come over to the forums and talk to us about the decissions that where made and what plans they maybe had that where layed on ice because of budget or other constrains.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:03 PM

this is a fine example of why you cant make an excellent game on a deadline. id say that its a good game, but far from excellent.but the other side of it is, considering pgi's track record (i was literally expecting a goose egg), i was pleasantly surprised it was actually good. its got some wooden characters and some things just feel rushed. but im still having a blast.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 December 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#3 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 December 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

this is a fine example of why you cant make an excellent game on a deadline. id say that its a good game, but far from excellent.but the other side of it is, considering pgi's track record (i was literally expecting a goose egg), i was pleasantly surprised it was actually good. its got some wooden characters and some things just feel rushed. but im still having a blast.

I'm guessing someone got their HOTAS set up working.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:39 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 12 December 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

I'm guessing someone got their HOTAS set up working.

it only took an hour of fiddling around. but i did all permutations of experiments with the demo until i found a series of rituals that resulted in functioning joysticks. though im not certain that the hamster had to die.

if anyone has a ch throttle, pedals and fighterstick setup, i posted some code on the joystick thread.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 December 2019 - 03:40 PM.

#5 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:46 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 December 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

Well I think you can, if you have the resources.
As for beeing pleasently suprised...it might not sound like it but yes I am. I also aspected worse but the game is fun. Also a bit repetetive and its a bit like Pokemech the hardcore edition when you search for a specific mech or weapon and you have to like that but as long as you like blowing stuff up with big mechs, yes this can satisvy my craveing for it ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users