- - - - -

This Needs An "easy" Setting

7 replies to this topic

#1 Honto

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:44 AM

Guys and gals I'm stopped at the 3rd mission in Mechwarrior 5. I can get to the end part where the Spider and everything jumps you but I get so chopped up eventually I die. Wave after wave of tanks and helicoptors grind me down as I try to deal with the Spider. I know about 'Get Gud' but the hardness of this is too much. For casual gamers I'd stay well clear of this game.

Anyone else stopped in their tracks by the hardness?

Edited by Honto, 13 December 2019 - 04:48 AM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:19 AM

View PostHonto, on 13 December 2019 - 04:44 AM, said:

Guys and gals I'm stopped at the 3rd mission in Mechwarrior 5. I can get to the end part where the Spider and everything jumps you but I get so chopped up eventually I die. Wave after wave of tanks and helicoptors grind me down as I try to deal with the Spider. I know about 'Get Gud' but the hardness of this is too much. For casual gamers I'd stay well clear of this game.

If one tactic isn't working, maybe you need to try something else. I typically will focus on vehicles and easy to destroy targets first to knock as many weapons off the field as I can. A Spider doesn't have much weapons, so it would take a lower priority on my targeting list.

Beyond that, I haven't had a chance to play beyond the first mission, which was just intro stuff...

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:12 PM

First question:
Are you using the Centurion or the Javelin?
If Centurion.. when you encounter the Spider, close range.
Get in the Scorpion's face and don't let up.
Don't worry, for some reason it CANNOT outrun you.
Then just shoot it...shoot it...shoot it... until it's dead.

If you pull away from it, I guess it'll get you? I dunno what it can do to be honest, but for me it was pretty pathetic and on MWO anyone with a stick up their exhaust can tell you that I'm a "terrible player."

Exactly how I dealt with it on my first encounter.
(Note I'm posting this while it is uploading, if the video isn't ready yet just back).

8 minutes left to upload as of the post (plus give it another minute or two for processing).
It's up.
(No editing or anything, this is also taken at 2 or 3 in the morning with the wife sleeping so no voice. I'm gonna use my first run's footage as footage to speak over, and my second go [after the 4 million in debt due to suddenly Hunchback meme] in order to have a playthrough with voice as I play.

In terrible shape when encountering the spider.

To follow up.. When surprise support comes up deal with it quick, vehicles are more dangerous than the spider itself.
Do not let the spider get away from you. Although I didn't notice it while playing, it gets the full speed when advancing on you and probably when it gets far enough away, but if you're really close it barely goes 60 kph allowing you to easily catch up to it. Keep close, keep on its tail. Should be easy as pie then.

Similar advice when you face the Assassin on a later level, stay on its back end (and unlike myself, listen when the ally tells you about the generators; the second is for a repair bay. I didn't know what he said so I never used it and had to take on a 40 ton and 55 ton mech with no repairs after almost a dozen waves of enemy vehicles, with one leg, and quickly losing my arms to the 55 tonner. Still won that one, barely, but only because of the Jenner ally I had.)

Edited by Koniving, 13 December 2019 - 01:33 PM.

#4 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

In the beginning up until about Rep 5, I was having a hard time staying above water. the cost of repairing mechs was almost as much if not more than the mission payouts.

That made me realize a change in mindset:

In MWO, we focus on winning at all costs while padding our c-bills with team support activities. If you trash your mech in the process, who cares?

In MW5, it's all about the profit. Don't take unnecessary risks, don't charge in underestimating enemy support weapons, and don't trash your mech. Play defensively with good MWO fundamentals, negotiate a point of damage insurance if possible, hit your objectives with minimal damage, and get out.

It also gets easier when your AI pilots start increasing in skill.

(Also, max out your armor for the most part, like in MWO, shaving from legs and cockpit, and a good upgrade IMO for the Centurion is AC10 burst fire and LRM-10 stream.)

Edited by Renzor the Red, 13 December 2019 - 01:44 PM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:51 PM

View PostKoniving, on 13 December 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

Exactly how I dealt with it on my first encounter.

Posted Image

What did I watch?

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:26 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 13 December 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

Posted Image

What did I watch?

Very lazily going through a level while toying with AI, finding my first enemy mech in the campaign and very lazily taking care of it, while dicking around to "steer" the enemy into nearby walls, give the enemy a chance, and then kill it by again exploiting how it can't handle being advanced on.

Basically the worst gameplay you can imagine to see if the AI improved much, and... my verdict is no.

#7 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:12 PM

For casual gamers I'd stay well clear of this game.

No. It's about Tier 4 - 3 MWO difficult at most.

At 9:24 positioning allowed me to squish the spider against the wall. Very satisfying.

Mech-cellent!

#8 v4skunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:33 PM

If you can't kill the Spider in a Centurion you need to git gud.
The only tips I can offer are don't stop moving and target ground units / choppers before mechs. Be aggressive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users