Mw2 Mercs Where Were You When They Patched Salvage?

Achievements

8 replies to this topic

#1 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:07 AM

Do any of you remember playing through Mercs BEFORE they added the salvage rework?

Basically it took the game to an entirely different level and there were few feelings greater than salvaging a heavier mech early on in the campaign. But I feel like a lot of newer players dont even remember that the game shipped without that feature.

#2 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:18 AM

View PostToothless, on 13 December 2019 - 05:07 AM, said:

Do any of you remember playing through Mercs BEFORE they added the salvage rework?

Basically it took the game to an entirely different level and there were few feelings greater than salvaging a heavier mech early on in the campaign. But I feel like a lot of newer players dont even remember that the game shipped without that feature.

I do. It really added a lot of depth to the game.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:14 AM

I remember playing MW2M but those little details are lost in time Posted Image
Also I remember that one mission in MechCommander where you could get a Timberwolf early....oh how many times I tried that mission.

Edited by Nesutizale, 13 December 2019 - 06:15 AM.

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:19 AM

I didn't have a computer powerful enough for MW:2 when it came out. Always wanted to play it but when I got a new one it came with Heavy Gear bundled so I ended up hooked on that instead. It wss only after I played through 3 that I tried 2.

#5 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:39 AM

No, i had the Titanium Edition (but lost it when moving) and that was already patched.

I had MW2 on a CD bundled when i bought an ELSA S3 Virge Graphic Accelerator (in fact it made things slower) but i got it not to run right, as i was not aware of that at that time, but i was one of these people who had bought one of the bad S3-Chips that slipped into production and made the Card fail in 3D Acceleration...

So i only got it to run when i got me the Titanium Edition and by that time i had already a Voodoo 2 i guess...

Edited by Thorqemada, 13 December 2019 - 07:39 AM.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:14 AM

i see what the op is doing. hell if the end result is an official mw5 forum im game.

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 December 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

i see what the op is doing. hell if the end result is an official mw5 forum im game.

+1

#8 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

View PostToothless, on 13 December 2019 - 05:07 AM, said:

I was only 7 or 8 at the time and totally save-scummed til I got all the mechs I really wanted. Had one game with 2 or 3 Kodiaks on the final mission.

#9 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:29 AM

Ive tried both versions. I think I might like the original, pre-determined salvage model better. I mean sure, the idea of being able to salvage mechs you headcap is cool, but the problem is the poor hit detection and bad hitboxes in MW2.

Some mechs are near impossible to headcap because something else will overlap with the cockpit hitbox. Ive shot at legged mechs on the floor, clearly hitting the glass, and the mech takes damage to the torso anyway.

Some mechs like the catapult is extremely easy to headcap because the hitbox is in the middle of the CT. Humanoid designs with a tiny cockpit on the top of the head are pretty much impossible to headcap however. Most mechs will have hitboxes so bad that you can shoot the CT and the arms will take damage instead.

Hit detection is also extremely bad and you can frequently see shots flying through mechs and terrain. If you hold down the fire button, and shoot med lasers at the ground, every 2nd volley will go through the floor. This is worst with ballistics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users