10 replies to this topic

#1 maxdest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

Well after 20 hours or so, there are obviously a lot of improvment points for MW5 (hopfully patching or modding can fix), however one point I have been plesently suprised by is the random maps.

I am not talking about the spawn points, or how the Ai uses the map - but the actual maps and how they hang together. They seem to have a nice mix of foliege , hills and canyons and various buildings and rocks, all with no real visible joining bugs.

I cant help wishing MWO had these random maps for faction warfare - would certainly make things a lot more interesting.

#2 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:01 PM

That is something they did well, but if you look close(maybe dont' want to), what they've done is altered the skin/biome of the map, and dropped you in a different location each time, giving you the illusion that you're on a different map. It also has this mechanism spaced out so well that its rare you'll end up on this re-skinned map 2x in a row keeping thing feeling fresh, however, this did happen to me because I distinctly posted my butt up on a hill surrounding a city and the next mission, I happen to wander around to the back of where I dropped, and there it was, the same hill but now its snowing outside!

Then i turned around and was like, oh damn, thats the same freaking building i was defending before! They did a good job with starting the action quickly so that you generally dont' notice small things like that bc you're to busy shooting things.

#3 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

Yea, those genetic maps are real ********
As are those generic missions.
If I would not love dudling in the mech bay and playing those mechs since MW2 I would have deleted this game very soon.
If you struggle so hard PGI, why did you not just copy MW4 or 3 with a new grafic.
Problem solved and we had a good game.

#4 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostMumuharra, on 15 December 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

Yea, those genetic maps are real ********
As are those generic missions.
If I would not love dudling in the mech bay and playing those mechs since MW2 I would have deleted this game very soon.
If you struggle so hard PGI, why did you not just copy MW4 or 3 with a new grafic.
Problem solved and we had a good game.

wot

Edited by Jackal Noble, 15 December 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

View PostHumpday, on 15 December 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

That is something they did well, but if you look close(maybe dont' want to), what they've done is altered the skin/biome of the map, and dropped you in a different location each time, giving you the illusion that you're on a different map. It also has this mechanism spaced out so well that its rare you'll end up on this re-skinned map 2x in a row keeping thing feeling fresh, however, this did happen to me because I distinctly posted my butt up on a hill surrounding a city and the next mission, I happen to wander around to the back of where I dropped, and there it was, the same hill but now its snowing outside!

Then i turned around and was like, oh damn, thats the same freaking building i was defending before! They did a good job with starting the action quickly so that you generally dont' notice small things like that bc you're to busy shooting things.

The game actually slaps together prefabs in large square sections. You'll see repeats of identical areas due to the fact that there's only so many prefabs made.

You can see how it's done during the War Stories video. Time skipped to the relevant moment.

Think of it like lego sets, and then piecing them together after they're made in different arrangements.
Posted Image
Can take the same squares and make a "whole new map" and just repeat as you please. The city blocks and such are parts of these squares, so you'll see the same arrangement.

Edited by Koniving, 15 December 2019 - 04:17 PM.

#6 maxdest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

The game actually slaps together prefabs in large square sections. You'll see repeats of identical areas due to the fact that there's only so many prefabs made.

Seems like a sensible way to do things. Should leave it fairly open to modding to add new prefabs as well... although I guess there will be some parms about which prefabs are valid to join (high/low elevatiion etc.).

Don't know what they were thinking on campaign maps though... seriously was expecting more handcrafted uniqueness to these maps and multi-phased in depth missions.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

View Postmaxdest, on 15 December 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

Seems like a sensible way to do things. Should leave it fairly open to modding to add new prefabs as well... although I guess there will be some parms about which prefabs are valid to join (high/low elevatiion etc.).

Don't know what they were thinking on campaign maps though... seriously was expecting more handcrafted uniqueness to these maps and multi-phased in depth missions.

There are a number of handcrafted maps. (The beginning maps in particular.)

I got a radio bark at one point about how the enemy has to stop me because I'm killing civilians.. and there's just empty buildings.
But I found out the real reason why that came up -- there's files for people to flee from mechs as well as infantry animations.
They wanted to do more. But as I'm sure you've noticed, the game seems quite...incomplete.
Signing on with steam, Epic, etc., requires that the games be released within a set amount of time. Part of the reason for signing with Epic was for support with the engine due to issues as well as some financial assistance. It's apparent that had more plans than they could actually get done.

This said, in the war stories video they talked a bit about editing, and that it wouldn't would be easy enough to add more mission types and work with the generator.

(Last page on my mod page goes into details about people.)
Edit: Striked through typo and fixed.

Edited by Koniving, 16 December 2019 - 01:06 AM.

#8 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

Well if its the Moders who are supposed to make this game a good game why don’t we pay the money to the Moders?
Sorry PGI, for 50 bucks I expect a finished game and a handcrafted, interesting and surprising main story with good A.I. enemy’s and not just tanks and copters.

#9 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:32 AM

Though not the best method to generate random maps it works well enough for me. At least as long as you don't press B to enlarge the minimap, because then you can usually clearly see the unnatural looking square block arrangement. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 18 December 2019 - 03:34 AM.

#10 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:55 AM

View Postmaxdest, on 15 December 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

Hi,

Well after 20 hours or so, there are obviously a lot of improvment points for MW5 (hopfully patching or modding can fix), however one point I have been plesently suprised by is the random maps.

I am not talking about the spawn points, or how the Ai uses the map - but the actual maps and how they hang together. They seem to have a nice mix of foliege , hills and canyons and various buildings and rocks, all with no real visible joining bugs.

I cant help wishing MWO had these random maps for faction warfare - would certainly make things a lot more interesting.

If you ask me, the procedurally generated maps are absolutely the BEST thing PGI has EVER done, and that includes MWO in it's entirety.

These maps are so beautiful, so well put-together, so great to walk on, so full of interesting and strategic terrain, and so full of logical things (like raised embankments around outposts)..

I absolutely LOVE MW5 maps.

And just because they feel unique and diverse literally EVERY BLOODY TIME I drop on one, I could play MW5's random missions forever.

I hope the game lets me.. cose' it's just FUN.

A home run for PGI!

So much potential in that one feature, I can't stop giggling.

#11 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:06 AM

While there is a bit of squareness to the maps, the more I play the game, the more I am enjoying the generated maps. Some of them are gorgeous and even though there are repeat patterns, I'm still seeing some new stuff as I play through the campaign.

As Freeman said, It'd be nice to stop and do some sight seeing, just not now.

Edited by Five by Five, 27 December 2019 - 09:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users