Mw5: No Need To Fill All Hard-Points You Know!.

17 replies to this topic

#1 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:30 AM

When I started I actually didn´t think about ditching certain hard-points to help compensate for the deficiency of certain weapons in my chassis.

I got the Orion not that long ago, after some tweaking I ended up with 1 SMR6 and 2 SMR4s + 1 AC 10 BF, ditched all lasers.

I started off with 3 SMR 6s and the heat was tremendous, thus the need to remove both lasers, take down a step on 2 of the SMRs and add a few more heat sinks.

The reduced weight also allowed me to actually raise armor to max, I am not saying it´s the best build I am relatively green when it comes to mech builds but I am killing mechs fairly fast.

My point is if there are other newbies like me that you can actually ditch certain hard points on a mech and not use them, I was a slave of having at least one corresponding weapon in every slot when I started out.

#2 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:34 AM

That may/will start hurting you late game btw as there is overwhelming force that you'll need to dispatch quickly before they get into range, which as you know is very fast. Those tanks and vtols will eat you alive.

In fact, they are far more of a threat than Mechs.

Edit: thinking about this now, PGI did well in this respect. There is actually benefit to having a bracket build mixing short mid, long ranged equipment, instead of trying to min/max equipment just to drop Mechs. I realized it a lot at Merc 15 and I'm running around in an Atlas the only has an LRM20 for range, and its having a hard time dispatching tanks and vtols till they are right on top of me. My Stalker can clear out most everything before it even gets close...when the AI decides it doesn't wanna spawn directly on my feet.

IMO for yourself, the Stalker/Battlemaster-1G loaded with DHS are overall best balanced assaults in the game. Your lance mates like to get beat up in them for some reason.

Edited by Humpday, 16 December 2019 - 09:41 AM.

#3 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostHumpday, on 16 December 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

That may/will start hurting you late game btw as there is overwhelming force that you'll need to dispatch quickly before they get into range, which as you know is very fast. Those tanks and vtols will eat you alive.

That goes for all brawler type mechs, the AC 10 I have is an X version (can´t remember the name, it does splash damage) and extremely good at killing aircraft with one shot, especially the big choppers. I am facing a ton of vehicles and they all die with one full SRM volley. I am doing difficulty 60 missions atm and not having any problems, I was until I started using SRMs :).

Things might get even hairier down the line .... I will assess it once I level up in rank and get better mechs.

#4 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:49 AM

Edit: thinking about this now, PGI did well in this respect. There is actually benefit to having a bracket build mixing short mid, long ranged equipment, instead of trying to min/max equipment just to drop Mechs. I realized it a lot at Merc 15 and I'm running around in an Atlas the only has an LRM20 for range, and its having a hard time dispatching tanks and vtols till they are right on top of me. My Stalker can clear out most everything before it even gets close...when the AI decides it doesn't wanna spawn directly on my feet.

Nah, the same Min/Max concept still applies, just build a laser vom Black Knight/Warhammer/Grasshopper, and you can engage anything. No need to bracket build. Easy enough to set up smaller fire groups to deal with mass tank/VTOL packs, then saving alpha strike full laser voms for bad facetanking AI mech CTs/massive head hitbox.

Edited by Vxheous, 16 December 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#5 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

View PostVxheous, on 16 December 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Nah, the same Min/Max concept still applies, just build a laser vom Black Knight/Warhammer/Grasshopper, and you can engage anything. No need to bracket build.

Yeah I have all 3 lol

#6 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:50 AM

Bracket builds still bad; just now theres only a handful of decent mechs because there are a whole slew of them that try to force bracket builds with sized hardpoints.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:57 AM

I found this to be generally true in most scenarios.
A few (like 4 or 5) vehicles or VTOLs (especially PGI's made up one the Igor) are much more of a threat than a couple of mechs.

And by couple I mean a couple of mediums/heavies.
Though Suddenly Hunchback is a different story. (Loud sound warning)

Edited by Koniving, 16 December 2019 - 10:57 AM.

#8 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

View PostVxheous, on 16 December 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Nah, the same Min/Max concept still applies, just build a laser vom Black Knight/Warhammer/Grasshopper, and you can engage anything. No need to bracket build. Easy enough to set up smaller fire groups to deal with mass tank/VTOL packs, then saving alpha strike full laser voms for bad facetanking AI mech CTs/massive head hitbox.

Thats why its better to stick to lore builds and not change weapons. I know the game allows all of that but that is just going to make it MWO again.

#9 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

Medium Lasers from Mission 1 to Mission 1,000. Give 'em to your lance, give 'em to yourself; they start good, they stay good, it's all you really need. Javelins, Hunchbacks, Top Dogs, Grasshoppers, Warhammers, Black Knights, Battlemasters, Stalkers, you name it, it'll do the job just fine. Works in table top, works in MechWarrior 3, works here, hell it works in a pinch in MWO.

That said... let me tell you about Gauss Rifles. ...

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:24 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 16 December 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

Bracket builds still bad; just now theres only a handful of decent mechs because there are a whole slew of them that try to force bracket builds with sized hardpoints.

yep, thats the way the game is designed, heck its not even decent designed in the 80s to start with.
The mentioned MLAS spam really really works in every BT game so far. (With exception of MW4 and MechCommander)

#11 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:31 AM

Small Lasers + Machine guns in the Warhammer packing 2 LL and MPLs helps in keeping the heat down while dispatching the annoying tanks quickly. Plus, any mech that is almost 1 shot can be dealt with this way while not worrying about heat.

#12 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:44 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 17 December 2019 - 12:24 AM, said:

(With exception of MW4 and MechCommander)

lol no.

MW4 was even worse with it's sized critslot system. You can put 16 small or medium lasers on a few mechs for serious memes.

#13 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:27 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 17 December 2019 - 04:44 AM, said:

lol no.

MW4 was even worse with it's sized critslot system. You can put 16 small or medium lasers on a few mechs for serious memes.

It wasn't effective at all in multiplayer until the Mektek rebalances, though. MLs and SLs were garbage in MW4 online, the entire meta was based around brute force upfront damage, preferably at long range unless the map forced shorter range engagements. SP, sure, it worked fine, but you could do whatever in SP and make it work. Post-rebalance, things were better, in the sense that you could build a wider variety of boats that were all OP, rather than a narrow selection of OP types.

#14 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 17 December 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

It wasn't effective at all in multiplayer until the Mektek rebalances,

Also wrong.

Boating lasers was hilariously effective on certain mechs because they had better geometry and low exposure.

There were many servers/leagues where people had to play mediums/lights and that is exactly how they were played.

#15 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

I'm finding the BLR-1G works very well with all tier4 weapons and some double heat sinks. ER PPC for ranged sniping, 6 medium lasers, SRM6 and a pair of MGs for close range dispatching. The alpha from those lasers, srm and mg combo is enough to core out just about any medium mech or smaller in one volley if you hit the CT.

#16 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationThird tree from the left

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 17 December 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'm finding the BLR-1G works very well with all tier4 weapons and some double heat sinks. ER PPC for ranged sniping, 6 medium lasers, SRM6 and a pair of MGs for close range dispatching. The alpha from those lasers, srm and mg combo is enough to core out just about any medium mech or smaller in one volley if you hit the CT.

Yep, Battlemaster have became one of my faforite mech. I still sometimes run (at lvl11) to get extra money/salvage from lvl7 missions (230ton) with 1 battlemaster(me), Marauder and Archer (or Warhammer).

#17 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

The 1G in particular has always been a favourite of mine. Not only was it the only assault mech in the original Battletech box set, but also the only one in the original Mechwarrior video game. There's also the fact that I still own one of these...

Posted Image

#18 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 17 December 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

Also wrong.

Boating lasers was hilariously effective on certain mechs because they had better geometry and low exposure.

There were many servers/leagues where people had to play mediums/lights and that is exactly how they were played.

Any video recordings of these matches that you're aware of? Not to say that you're fibbing, I'm genuinely curious. My exposure to league play in MW4 was somewhat brief and unpleasant, likely in part because I was both an idiot and too young to truly care. These matches also didn't force medium/light play and were mixtech, so just about every fight was decided by poptart BKs with ERLL at 800 meters. But the experience that I had at the time pretty well made the use of SLs/MLs a non-starter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users