Piranha Games Refuses To Give Me A Refund.

136 replies to this topic

#101 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:52 AM

View PostGuy Humual, on 20 December 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

I don't rely on a Yahoo mailing address, I have my main account through my ISP, and another for work, the Yahoo address is strictly for gaming related things. I don't want my work and leisure to mix.

You fail to grasp my point, just as you've failed to grasp the points of others. Yahoo is NOT a reliable email provider. Besides the fact that a data breach in 2013 saw THREE BILLION accounts hacked.... they have a problem with deleting incoming mail completely on their own.

https://help.yahoo.c...il-sln4538.html

#102 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:59 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 December 2019 - 12:40 AM, said:

Literally every distribution channel they have. e-mail, website, facebook, twitter, it was reported in gaming news, Reddit, reposted on all official and unofficial channels, repeatedly over the 60 days you had to request a refund. Plus posted and archived discord discussion with PGI about it.

All of which is irrelevant to the original concern - if they'd sent 3 e-mails and you'd gotten none of them it wouldn't alter the circumstances.

I watch Jim Sterling, Yahtzee Croshaw, and I used to watch Baradul when I was playing, and for a bit after I stopped. Maybe Baradul said something when it happened, I checked, that was sometime in March, so I probably watched him well into April or maybe even may. I didn't see any YouTube videos about it, Jim certainly mentioned a lot of games that went to Epic, Borderlands 3 was the big one I remember, but I don't remember him mentioning MW5.

I don't know why I didn't get that email, as of today I only have 2 emails from Piranha, I used to get a bunch from MWO, but only 2 about my product. Maybe if they'd sent 3 I'd have gotten at least 1. They only sent 1 though and I didn't get it.

#103 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:01 AM

View Postingramli, on 18 December 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

Just a matter of fact, I dont check mails for months (i use it only when i register in a forum, or make a purchase, so the interval may be months), I also never use discord or AMA, so I am the one to blame?

YES!!!

#104 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:04 AM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 20 December 2019 - 04:15 AM, said:

Just that the car model did not change but stayed exactly the same as you ordered it.

I later clarified that it was the dealership that changed not the car. I don't want to deal with another dealership. I want to use the same dealership I was happy with when I preordered the car. The same dealership they said they were going to release the car through when I placed my order.

#105 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:20 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 20 December 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

You fail to grasp my point, just as you've failed to grasp the points of others. Yahoo is NOT a reliable email provider. Besides the fact that a data breach in 2013 saw THREE BILLION accounts hacked.... they have a problem with deleting incoming mail completely on their own.

https://help.yahoo.c...il-sln4538.html

I very much doubt someone hacked into my Yahoo account and deleted my email, but if Yahoo occasionally deletes mail on it's own it just goes further to show the importance of multiple emails on important maters like this. I don't use Yahoo for anything important like I said, only gaming stuff, and if this is common knowledge than companies working in the business should ask for a receipt, either that I read the email or that it was delivered on important matters like this. If they didn't get a receipt than they should send it again. They're the ones that were making changes to the preorder, the onus should be on them to make sure everyone is aware of the changes.

#106 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:22 AM

View PostGuy Humual, on 18 December 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

. . . maybe you got lots of free time to follow updates on a game that was coming out later that year but I completely forgot about it.

That's the issue, isn't it? You forgot about it and now you are too late for a refund. Happened to a lot if not all the people once in their lifetime, but only a few are a baby about it! Most recognize it was their fault which caused it and go on with life!

#107 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:28 AM

View Postingramli, on 18 December 2019 - 09:33 PM, said:

NO. One simple fact is, PGI could have change "silent = consent" to "silent = denial" and proceed to refund. PGI could have include a link in the email which leads to a page that you can "opt-in" for the consent, but PGI didnt do so.

That would've been horrible, since I would have gotten a refund even though I don't want one.

....btw refund for what? I paid less than what I got in MW:O content for MW5. Yes, I could've gotten a refund, keeping all my MW:0 goodies but that, for my moral standards, would've been cheating!

#108 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:33 AM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 20 December 2019 - 07:28 AM, said:

That would've been horrible, since I would have gotten a refund even though I don't want one.

....btw refund for what? I paid less than what I got in MW:O content for MW5. Yes, I could've gotten a refund, keeping all my MW:0 goodies but that, for my moral standards, would've been cheating!

You can pre-order again after the refund, which they should allow. Similarly, you should be able to send them a email to delete the bonus in-game items of the pre-order for moral reasons, your standpoints just do not constitute valid arguments, try harder.

#109 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:42 AM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 20 December 2019 - 07:01 AM, said:

YES!!!

While this has little to do with my case, as I usually check that account 2 or 3 times a week, it does bring up an interesting question about customer rights. Suppose someone had to work somewhere in the world that didn't have reliable internet service, maybe none at all, the suggesting here, with this all caps yes, with three exclamation marks, is that the onus to insure the agreement is maintained is always on the customer's side. If you buy something, go into the wilderness for a couple of months, and come back only to find the deal has changed that is always going to be the fault of the customer.

Personally I think if someone asks for a refund they should give it to you but it seems that people advocating for PGI here are of the position that refunds can only be taken before you see the product. Once the product is released you shouldn't be allowed a refund as you had a chance to get a refund weeks before the product was released.

#110 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:53 AM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 20 December 2019 - 07:28 AM, said:

That would've been horrible, since I would have gotten a refund even though I don't want one. ....btw refund for what? I paid less than what I got in MW:O content for MW5. Yes, I could've gotten a refund, keeping all my MW:0 goodies but that, for my moral standards, would've been cheating!

Again, the preorder wasn't "Buy MC and get MW5 for free" it was the other way around, I was buying MW5. When I placed my order the mechs weren't even on offer. When I claimed my free stuff they were still promising a Steam key. They changed their offer after and if you feel like MC and maybe an hours work reskinning and altering components of already existing models is the equivalent of building AI, missions, maps. and story for a new game then that's on you. Our money was always going to be going to the development of the new game. The perks on offer cost PGI almost nothing.

Personally I didn't put much value in the perks, and I don't think I even mastered any of the special variant mechs I got before I stopped playing.

#111 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

Why are you even talking to us? We can't change it and if PGI allready refused its done. Either go play the game or don't but stop complaining against a wall. We had this Epic - no epic talk for what...half a year now?

You see it launched on Epic and damn its even in the "most sold game" category besides Borderlands 3, Outer worlds and Jedi Fallen Order for **** sake. 3 AAA titles from which two have been praised by the press like hell.

PGIs idea of going Epic seams to have worked very well. Well for them, concidering that PGI got money for additional staff to help getting the game to where it is now and with the currently steady stream of patches actualy working in our favor too.

There is realy no point to you complaining Guy, move along. I bet its not the first time you bought a game you didn't liked and wished you could get your money back and didn't. So you should know how to handle the situation and endless complaints are not it. Also you are several month to late for that.

#112 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:05 AM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 20 December 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

That's the issue, isn't it? You forgot about it and now you are too late for a refund. Happened to a lot if not all the people once in their lifetime, but only a few are a baby about it! Most recognize it was their fault which caused it and go on with life!

Maybe you go through life rolling over, even when you're in the right, but I'm not like you. I suppose you can write that off as "being a baby" or whatever helps you rationalize your own deficiencies when contrasted with someone who's willing to stand up for themselves but if you've got no valid points to add to the discussion maybe take the pretty name calling elsewhere and let the rest of us have our rational discussion?

#113 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

Guy you don't have any rights to claim a refund. That is what the law says.
PGI did all they could too contact all preorder customers through mail, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. They offered a more then generouse refund, as you could keep all the MWO stuff.

PGI did their part of what is asked of them by law. Its you who wants more out of it then you can ask for and if you want to have a change in that I suggest you go into politics and try to convince the industrie and lawyers and law makers to change customer service rights.

Again complaining in a forum about something you are in the fault for not doing and not useing your right to act when it was time to act is completly on your shoulders alone. Stop bothering us with this.

#114 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 20 December 2019 - 08:12 AM, said:

PGI did all they could too contact all preorder customers through mail, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. They offered a more then generouse refund, as you could keep all the MWO stuff.

If this is what the law says (the means of communication PGI used during the 1 month refund window) is sufficient in the perspective of law, I guess it would be safe to state that people who work in certain positions in the uniformed services (such as crews of a nuclear-powered submarine) who don't have regular access to the internet or mailbox simply do not entitle the rights to make any pre-order purchases.Posted Image

Edited by ingramli, 20 December 2019 - 08:40 AM.

#115 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 20 December 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Why are you even talking to us? We can't change it and if PGI allready refused its done. Either go play the game or don't but stop complaining against a wall. We had this Epic - no epic talk for what...half a year now?
Good for you, I'm glad you had this discussion, but as I pointed out with my OP I'm completely new to this discussion and I'm posting here as a warning to my fellow customers about PGI's practices.

You see it launched on Epic and damn its even in the "most sold game" category besides Borderlands 3, Outer worlds and Jedi Fallen Order for **** sake. 3 AAA titles from which two have been praised by the press like hell.
I don't use epic, I don't want to use epic, that's my complaint. I don't care about these other games, MW5 itself might be incredible, but I don't want to use epic and so If epic is my only option I'd like my money back.

PGIs idea of going Epic seams to have worked very well. Well for them, concidering that PGI got money for additional staff to help getting the game to where it is now and with the currently steady stream of patches actualy working in our favor too.

Good for them, they made a choice and all the power in the world to them. My complaint is that I don't have any choices at this time. PGI wants to use epic then they should have that right, likewise I should be able to opt out and still get my money back.

There is realy no point to you complaining Guy, move along. I bet its not the first time you bought a game you didn't liked and wished you could get your money back and didn't. So you should know how to handle the situation and endless complaints are not it. Also you are several month to late for that.
This is quite literally my first experience with buying something and not being able to get my money back. This is entirely a new experience for me. I've returned and replaced all sorts of things, including games, which is why I'm particularly surprised about PGI's business practices. I've never heard of a company refusing to give out refunds after they released a product, allowing refunds only months before even a proper demo is sent out, and if the game hadn't worked, just straight up didn't function on any level I still wouldn't be able to get a refund because I missed my window of opportunity months ago.

As to when I'm done with this thread, how about I decide when I'm done, just as you could have chosen not to post at all. If people like you stopped posting I wouldn't have anything to reply to. Food for thought.

#116 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 20 December 2019 - 08:12 AM, said:

Guy you don't have any rights to claim a refund. That is what the law says. PGI did all they could too contact all preorder customers through mail, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. They offered a more then generouse refund, as you could keep all the MWO stuff. PGI did their part of what is asked of them by law. Its you who wants more out of it then you can ask for and if you want to have a change in that I suggest you go into politics and try to convince the industrie and lawyers and law makers to change customer service rights. Again complaining in a forum about something you are in the fault for not doing and not useing your right to act when it was time to act is completly on your shoulders alone. Stop bothering us with this.
You can chose not to comment in this thread. It's entirely within your power.

As to consumer's rights, you're absolutely right, there is no law that says I have a right to a refund, as I said the game could completely not work, and PGI still wouldn't have to offer refunds. Different sellers have different refund policies though, like if I'd bought a physical copy (if those exist) from some retailers, most would have given me a refund. Some allow for exchange. Apparently if I'd bought the game off of Epic or Steam I could have got a refund but sadly I bought the game from PGI and that's the entire point of this thread. What part of "Piranha Games Refuses To Give Me a Refund" had you confused? Maybe if I'd known that Piranha Games don't allow refunds I wouldn't have bothered preordering, just as I wouldn't have preordered if I'd known it was going to be an exclusive to the Epic Store, but while I can't really do anything about the Epic Store I can try to make sure other realize that PGI isn't willing to give refunds. They had a window, before the game was released, but now that the game is out I can't get my money back.

#117 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

View PostGuy Humual, on 20 December 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

I don't use epic, I don't want to use epic, that's my complaint. ….but I don't want to use epic and so If epic is my only option I'd like my money back.

"Epic butthurt much"

So we all can see now, that you are just a little crying baby.

Good job showing the world how damn narrow minded you are. Posted Image

I bet you got Origin, Uplay and other stuff as well and I bet you don't even know that Epic is a company from murrica Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Well played, no(w) stop crying Posted Image

Edited by Unleashed3k, 20 December 2019 - 09:18 AM.

#118 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:20 AM

^You got a little on your chin, friend

#119 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostGuy Humual, on 20 December 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

PGI wants to use epic then they should have that right, likewise I should be able to opt out and still get my money back.

This is what you should do if you are from Canada:

1) Go to this page:
https://www.consumer...nline-purchase/
Consumer Protection - British Columbia, Canada

2) Click on the "I tried to cancel but didn't get my refund" line

3) Read the instructions

4) Download and print the PDF

5) Send the form as advised. Use registered mail.

6) Wait for the reply.

This is what you should do if you are from the U.S.A.:

1) Go to this page:
https://www.econsume...en/Details#crnt
(it is a sub-page of the Federal Trade Commission here https://www.ftc.gov/...r-complaint-ftc

2) File the complaint step-by-step.

I can not tell you if you will succeed or not. Probably not, since the change of the distributor is not a change of the product (MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries game) itself.

But in my opinion this is going to be much more useful than posting walls of text on internet forum.

Edited by martian, 20 December 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#120 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:45 AM

Oh Guy Guy Guy...

You pre-ordered a product, that was packaged with additional pre-order bonus content, which you consumed. You activated the pre-order bonuses,

"Personally I didn't put much value in the perks, and I don't think I even mastered any of the special variant mechs I got before I stopped playing"

Whether you took the time or not to skill up your pre-order Mechs is irrelevant: you consumed them. And the MC and any other perks being incentive at the time

Your car analogy is bunk. When you buy a product and it comes with a promotional offer of value (e.g. a $50 Gift Card at Best Buy), if you go and seek a refund the cost of the Gift Card will be deducted from your refund. Anywhere you go like Gamestop, etc. that sells you licensed software with Redeemable Codes will let you know that purchase is *not* refundable, once the product is opened and/or the codes are viewed and/or redeemed.

PGI gave users a grace window where they could seek a full refund and keep the redeemed content. That is beyond what any consumer rules require them to do. Now, you could perhaps go talk to PGI and offer to have the content removed from your account,or to pay the cash equivalent value of the redeemed content (which is tbf, on par or exceeds the cost of your pre-order) but MWO isn't set up to yank content from player accounts, surely.

It's a bit like me griping that I played MWO Beta for a little bit and then didn't play it for a few years so it's PGI's fault that I didn't get any bonuses or in-game titles etc associated with supporting the Beta.

If you really haven't redeemed your Game, then you could re-sell or re-gift your link/code for redeeming it. If you have gone on to install the game and enjoy it some - well, that's the end of the chapter, isn't it.

Edited by overheal, 20 December 2019 - 09:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users