Piranha Games Refuses To Give Me A Refund.

136 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 December 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

It wasn't a question. That would be a work-around gifting.

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 December 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

How else do you suppose one would purchase MW5 for some one else?

#22 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostGuy Humual, on 17 December 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

So almost a year ago I put my faith in Piranha games and preordered a game called Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries, stupid of me I know, but at the time they seemed like a reputable company. A few months passed, I got some stuff for mechwarrior online, then life happened, my father passed away, stuff came up at work, I really didn't pay much attention to the game. Little did I know that was my mistake.

Then comes November 21st, I get my very first email from Piranha and it's about the beta but it's only accessible through something called the Epic Store. I read on to find out that the game is now an Epic Games exclusive. I'm sure many of you here are more familiar with this than I was. I contacted support the next day and asked for a refund. My first contact was someone called GM Patience and they explained that they couldn't offer refunds after November 1, 20 days after I received my very first update about the game. I pointed this out and then GM Patience lied to me and told me that I'd received an email explaining this back on August 6th. I have an email address specifically for gaming and no such email exists. I have every email from "Mechwarrior Online" "Xsolla" from the past 2 years, and to this date I've only ever gotten two emails from Piranha games, one dated November 21st, and the other December 9th. GM patience then told me that I could go pound sand as I'd collected some mechwarrior online bonuses, you know back when I was still playing the game, back when I thought it was going to be released on steam, but apparently I was supposed to track Mechwarrior 5 to make sure they were doing what they promised back when I initially bought the game. It's my fault they were dishonest I guess.

The December 9th email was them informing me that I could collect my ticket for a platform I have no intentions of using. I asked again for my money back. This time it was someone called GM Serenity that told me they already had my money and I could go f**k myself. Even though I had access to a key for my preordered game I now had less rights than a normal dissatisfied customer. If I'd been dissatisfied with my game on Steam I could have gotten a full refund, but apparently not if you were stupid enough to pay months ahead of time. Anyways, I'm so pissed off right now, I'm thinking of just having them delete my MWO account. I'm never playing mechwarrior 5 at this point. I was thinking of buying it again when it comes on Steam, if they'd refunded my money, but I can't see myself doing that now. I want nothing more to do with Piranha Games and I only wish them ill will at this point. I could understand moving over to the Epic Store if they got a better deal, and I can accept delays, I didn't need to play Mechwarrior 5 when it released. As I said I would have waited and bought it on Steam but as they've now made it clear that they don't respect me as a customer or a fan they've lost me as both.

I don't imagine this post will be acknowledged, it will likely be deleted, but for the record all I wanted was my money back. I'm happy to eat the $69.48 I spent. honestly, it will save me a ton of money in the long run, and I only post this here on MWO forums because I couldn't find a place to post it on the MW5 site. If you want to comment please respect the fact that I don't want to use Epic Games, and while I absolutely don't trust them as a company, it's manly because I don't want to install another program, set up another account, track another password, worry about privacy concerns for a game that I thought I was going to be able to use on Steam.

I think this is a complete lie.

#23 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:42 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 17 December 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

rhetorical. well, plaid.

#24 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 17 December 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

I think this is a complete lie.

To what end? What exactly do you think I have to gain here?

#25 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 17 December 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

Wow...are you (insert colorful language here) new here or what ?!? Now we all know you're trolling....PGI being PGI wasn't in any way a surprise to people.

Started playing last year, I bought a bunch of stuff, my friends were talking about getting back into MW when the new game came out so I preordered it. I hadn't heard anything particularity bad about MWO but as you can see I haven't visited the forums too often. Again I'm not sure what you think I have to gain if I'm lying. While I'm sure it's rare for a company to refuse to refund an unused game it's not exactly going to cause them any backlash now is it? At best I might get a handful of views, probably from folks that have already been burned, and folks that aren't in the situation I'm in and maybe they won't believe it. I honestly don't care. I made my post because I don't have any other options and I figured someone in the community aught to know how they f**ked me over. Because I preordered the game I can't get a refund. Because I wasn't watching the devs like a hawk I'm no long entitled for a refund.

They say they sent an email, I can confirm that it never arrived, but you'd think if they were completely changing the terms and conditions of a sale I already gave them money for they might send two emails, perhaps a second warning me that the impending deadline for a refund was approaching? On the off chance that they're telling the truth and they did send me an email that somehow got lost in cyberspace, a second email about their changes might have been professional. Might have been nice if the DMs had some options for me as well when I finally did find out about the changes. I'd have been fine with waiting for a steam key? Maybe some in game credit for MWO in loo of MW5? But f**k 'em I got lots of other games I can play. My free time is too limited to spend on a company that clearly doesn't want me around.

#26 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:02 PM

View PostGuy Humual, on 17 December 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

They say they sent an email, I can confirm that it never arrived, but you'd think if they were completely changing the terms and conditions of a sale I already gave them money for they might send two emails, perhaps a second warning me that the impending deadline for a refund was approaching? On the off chance that they're telling the truth and they did send me an email that somehow got lost in cyberspace, a second email about their changes might have been professional. Might have been nice if the DMs had some options for me as well when I finally did find out about the changes. I'd have been fine with waiting for a steam key? Maybe some in game credit for MWO in loo of MW5? But f**k 'em I got lots of other games I can play. My free time is too limited to spend on a company that clearly doesn't want me around.

Apart from them posting about EGS exclusivity, I have an email with sent by PGI on Aug the 7th that MW5 would be available on Dec 10th and if I'd like to refund my Community Pre-order, I could do it. So, I'm not sure where you're getting that PGI lied to you about sending you an email. Unless of course, that email was in your spam folder.

#27 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:09 AM

If the email arrived or not doesnt matter at all. As a company u cant change the product and set a limited time (esp. via email) to cancel your order.
Product not delivered-> credit card charge back.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 18 December 2019 - 04:10 AM.

#28 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:47 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 17 December 2019 - 11:02 PM, said:

Apart from them posting about EGS exclusivity, I have an email with sent by PGI on Aug the 7th that MW5 would be available on Dec 10th and if I'd like to refund my Community Pre-order, I could do it. So, I'm not sure where you're getting that PGI lied to you about sending you an email. Unless of course, that email was in your spam folder.

I have 2 emails on August 7th, when you got your email, one from GoG and one from Twitter, and I have 3 emails from August 6th when they say they sent me the email, one from Dropbox, another from GoG, and another from Twitter. I've checked my Spam folder and my trash folder, there is nothing in there. The very first email I've ever gotten from Piranha Games is dated November 21, the second December 9th. If I do a search for any mentions of Mechwarrior 5 that gives me a receipt from February 16th,. I assume that's when I got bonuses for MWO, and my receipt from January 11th when I bought the game. I don't think I played MWO since April, not sure when this Epic Store announcement was made but if it was made between January and April I didn't see it.

#29 Guy Humual

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:36 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 17 December 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

To be fair the MC you received for MWO was the exact value of the money you spent . Add to that you got a mechpack and 4 premium mechs .

Except it wasn't sold as "buy MC and these premium mechs and get MW 5 free" it was the other way around, in fact I'm pretty sure the premium mechs weren't even offered when I initially bought MW 5. Those were bonuses for preodering. It's like ordering a car, getting car mats for free, and then the dealership changing the car model and saying I don't have a right to complain because I already got the car mats.

#30 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:45 AM

View PostGuy Humual, on 18 December 2019 - 06:36 AM, said:

Except it wasn't sold as "buy MC and these premium mechs and get MW 5 free" it was the other way around, in fact I'm pretty sure the premium mechs weren't even offered when I initially bought MW 5. Those were bonuses for preodering. It's like ordering a car, getting car mats for free, and then the dealership changing the car model and saying I don't have a right to complain because I already got the car mats.

Sorry, this smells….
And ofc, people run out of arguments and bring the "car-example"...

If you wanna use that, then say you bought a car with extras from x, but x is wasted and y took over production, you still get the same car but with another logo on it.

And in this case, you bought something from PGI, Steam wasn't able to make a better deal, now you get the same product from PGI, but from a different seller.

Or do you really believe MW5 would have been better in quality, only because it would have been released on Steam?

So in fact, you have the same damn product (car), only because you don't like Epic, you now tell everyone you have been cheated...
And ofc "I bought a Steamkey", but now the key is from Epic, but for the SAME DAMN "CAR".
Still nothing has changed on the product, the key will still remain only a KEY, the "car" is still MW5 and it drives very well.
Posted Image

#31 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:02 AM

So.. for the sake of argument, who has 'proof' that it was specifically a Steam Key you pre-ordered, and not a mere copy of MW5?

#32 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:07 AM

View Postoverheal, on 18 December 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

So.. for the sake of argument, who has 'proof' that it was specifically a Steam Key you pre-ordered, and not a mere copy of MW5?

I think they offered a "Steamkey" with the com-preorder, but in my opinion it's still only the key to activate the final product. Posted Image

#33 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:08 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 18 December 2019 - 04:09 AM, said:

If the email arrived or not doesnt matter at all. As a company u cant change the product and set a limited time (esp. via email) to cancel your order.

Except the game was delivered, regardless of which platform. The one thing though is, if PGI had stayed with Steam, would it have actually been released this month?

And as for the emails, I received mine on August 6th at 5:19pm cst via a yahoo account. I debated on whether to refund or not, then submitted the request 2.5 weeks later. And that decision affected only a tiny bit it being released with Epic instead of Steam.

#34 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:10 AM

Right but I mean like indisputable evidence that the invitation to treat was specifically for a Steam key.

#35 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:17 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 December 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

Except the game was delivered, regardless of which platform. The one thing though is, if PGI had stayed with Steam, would it have actually been released this month?

They would have had to pick some wildly strategic date to coincide or not-coincide with a deluge of other Steam Titles, random sales, publisher events, etc. even a long list of mecha-shovelware games.

Epic gave them an unbeatable deal that I think any small to medium sized Game dev would take in this situation. I would like the game to have been a steamworks product, sure, but there are a lot of things I would have liked for this game - sadly it's not an AAA title, and not on an AAA budget, neither are a lot of the shexy games nerds of our caliber like, such as Homeworld DOK, etc. etc. - normally games in situations similar to Mw5 have to be a kickstarter now (*shudder*)

#36 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

I buyed mw5 on epic. So no probs on my part. In preorder they said steam key. If they dont deliver, no matter how good the reason was (i can fully understand) customer can charge back. And another distributor is a big change in terms (even if it doesnt matter for you or is in best interest of the client).

#37 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 18 December 2019 - 04:09 AM, said:

Actually as a company, they can. They're not alone. As to "limited time", they announced the move to Epic exclusive in late july and people had until September 1st to claim a refund. And a steam game was never what was being sold. MW5 was always being sold as a stand alone game with its own launcher. Steam was merely going to be the distribution channel. There's nothing that says a company cannot change its distributors after you may have ordered their product. It happens ALL the damn time in the real world, especially in retail. There are time limits and restrictions on charge backs also you know... paypal for example follows the credit card industry standard of six months. And actually another distributor is generally NOT a big change as far as a credit card company is concerned.

#38 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostUnleashed3k, on 18 December 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

Sorry, this smells….
And ofc, people run out of arguments and bring the "car-example"...

General Motors to make a car example... a couple years after they bought 50% of Saab automotive they decided that in Canada, rather than having to deal with distributing cars to the existing independent Saab dealers(which there simply weren't enough of for the sorts of sales GM was hoping to get out of their new investment) that they were going to revoke those dealership accounts and only make Saabs available through their own MUCH LARGER dealer network of other GM Brands. While the various former dealers complained about losing a brand account, most customers didn't actually think it was a bad thing to now be able to get their Saab's serviced at a larger network of dealers across the country, who would all have access to a larger parts chain, because GM would be bringing more spare parts into their inventory system. GM did the same thing with their investment in Isuzu in Canada, and in fact often put Saab and Isuzu brands together with Saturn at the same dealer. Now if you had a Saab on order thru one of those former dealers... the only difference became you had to take delivery from a GM brands dealer instead. The car was still made by Saab in Sweden though and in fact, even with GM's money, Saab stayed very much Saab in their design philosophy and thinking ...and if you ever watch how their occupants survive crashes that would outright kill everyone in another vehicle... you sorta understand why. Oh and to be fair...when Top gear hit a renault with a single locomotive engine... the results were different than when you use two locomotives against a 900NG.

Edited by Dee Eight, 18 December 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#39 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

And what exactly is the purpose of this thread?

#40 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:55 AM

06.08.2019 um 23:18 Uhr

Posted Image

It has been officially announced that Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries will now be releasing on December 10th, 2019 exclusively on the Epic Games Store.

Community Pre-order pilots will be able to access the Closed Beta to access practice missions in November prior to the game’s full launch. Our partnership with Epic Games store allows us the opportunity to make sure MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries meets our internal goal of creating the best MechWarrior game possible. Fans looking to obtain refunds from their pre-order of any tier are able to do so by September 1st.
  • Read the full announcement Here!
  • For more details read the FAQ!
  • For more information or to request a refund please contact Support! (support@mw5mercs.com)

I am guessing that everyone who preordered mw5 got this auto-email.
Those who ain´t got one didn´t preordered that game.

Edited by McHoshi, 18 December 2019 - 12:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users