Mw5: What Mech Do You Drop With The Most In Early To Late-Midgame?

50 replies to this topic

#1 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:01 AM

Opinion: I feel the Thunderbolt is the most useful mech early - late midgame.

I'm defining useful as in it gets dropped more than any of my other mechs at 300 tonnage and below. It is big enough to pack a whallop on higher ton missions. It is small enough to fit with a medium and two lights on low tonnage missions.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:06 AM

I guess you didn't notice, but there's a subforum dedicated to MW5 topics now: https://mwomercs.com...-5-mercenaries/

#3 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:21 AM

Centurion.
Kintaro.

Stalker Face ******.

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:24 AM

Jagermech with 2 AC10s and MLs

Quickdraw with MLs and 2 SRM4s

Centurion with AC10, MLs and LRM10

Blackjack 2 AC2 and MLs

That was the lance composition for most missions. I'd use Javelins or a Locust to get the tonnage right when required.

Now, I have a Warhammer and Orion to add to the mix.

#5 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:35 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 18 December 2019 - 12:06 AM, said:

I guess you didn't notice, but there's a subforum dedicated to MW5 topics now: https://mwomercs.com...-5-mercenaries/

Thank you. I'll be posting there from now on.

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:51 AM

The Blackjack Arrow. It's hilariously stupendous fun, at any difficulty.

In the AI slots I run an Atlas with dirt cheap components (as apparently Atlai take enemy target priority over EVERYTHING) an Annihilator with quad slug LBX or an Orion with Gauss, and a Stalker with either ERPeeps or a horror of SRMs.

Tell the AI to engage, wait for the enemy to shoot at them, then charge towards the tasty spines of your closest enemy mech screaming cookie monster noises. Those 6 machine guns make short work of *everything*.

#7 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:37 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 18 December 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

The Blackjack Arrow. It's hilariously stupendous fun, at any difficulty.

In the AI slots I run an Atlas with dirt cheap components (as apparently Atlai take enemy target priority over EVERYTHING) an Annihilator with quad slug LBX or an Orion with Gauss, and a Stalker with either ERPeeps or a horror of SRMs.

Tell the AI to engage, wait for the enemy to shoot at them, then charge towards the tasty spines of your closest enemy mech screaming cookie monster noises. Those 6 machine guns make short work of *everything*.

I'm doing this with the Ember, and it's only 4 MGs (+4 SLs). Boy, I need that Arrow.

#8 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:29 AM

The Firestarter. This thing chews through waves of mechs twice its size, and it's speed makes for great evasion and exfil. And you really need a reason to run around the woods with flamethrowers? Strip the jumpjets for armor and make sure you have a couple heatsinks. The FS9-H is great all around, if you really want to melt an Assault mech the FS9-A with 6 flamers should do it. Just force it to shut down and bake in its own oil.

#9 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:19 AM

Anything that let´s me use 3 SRMs and an AC BF gun.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:34 AM

Shadow Hawk 2D with a 3Bar UAC5 and 2Bar Plus Triple SRM4s is OP
Triple SRM4's on chain fire melts tanks, and if you miss you have two more quick follow up shots
And grouped Triple two bar plus SRM4 rekts mech quick smart

Ammo's an issue, but most are dead before you run out of SRM's and the UAC gets you to the drop point.
Upgrading from the Centurion is like night n day, Level 7

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:42 AM

HBK Grid Iron. Gauss+2MPL+SRM6.

Gauss has super fast velocity, makes it easy to one shot vehicles and turrets at any range, and do precision damage to Mechs.

#12 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:20 AM

Black Knight with 2 er large lasers (i was lucky to find a Tier 5 one, those with an orange bar instead of pips) and 5 medium lasers.
The large ones kill most tanks and aircraft way before they can shoot you and 1-2 alphas together with the mediums almost core or leg most mechs at my level.

I write almost because it seems that you can't oneshot mechs or their legs. Components are always deep red after the first alpha, but never get one-shotted. Scratching them and then alpha however seems to work, looks like they need at least 2 hits to get wrecked to demand a bit more time to deal with mechs unless you headshot them.

Though in the demo i think it was possible to oneshot light mechs and some light mediums with very high pinpoint alpha builds like quad AC10 or PPC, but maybe my teammates scratched them for me...

Anyway, great mech for everything the game throws at me so far.
Still using the Ember though for giggles and when my Knight has eaten too much dmg in multi-missions.

Edited by Daggett, 18 December 2019 - 11:33 AM.

#13 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

My lance is running a Blackjack 1, the starting Centurion with 2 mpl's, LRM 10-stream, and AC10 BF, Griffin with a large laser and LRM 10, and a Hunchback with AC10 and a boatload of medium lasers and a single SPL. I ran into a Rifleman 3N on the market but didn't have enough c-bills to buy it at the time. I was wondering if I should hold off until I find a Jaegermech.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 18 December 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#14 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:56 AM

in the beginning, I stayed in that Javelin 10F we started with, till was midway through Marik land, then I need a bit more armor to lead my lance,

mainly now use Rifleman-3N and Archer-2R, still use the Centurion, works great for building up a pilots skills
in the early days Blackjacks and a hunchback-4H, in the first campaign I used the 3 HBK-4P, but they were getting to expensive to upkeep, lose that torso, and replacing lots of weapons

a lot has to do with how one plays, I think smartly, that going range works best, but I don't play smartly, I like brawl, and anything under 400m. I'm more a "Hulk Smash" kinda Pilot
I do try and keep at least one in the lance with range

#15 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:08 PM

Im doing difficulty 37 missions in my Grasshopper, sometimes lancemates come along as bate. We just demolished the story mission with the fuel depots and the fun little encounter at the end. Lancemates lost some linbs but I had armour left on every component. Plus I tanked at the end to save repair costs. Dunno if difficulty 37 is mid game though, seems like it's almost mid game.

#16 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:11 PM

Early: Jav, Jenner, HBK, Cent
Mid: Hbk-{4H,4J,4G}, warhammer, Black knight, Orion.

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 December 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

Im doing difficulty 37 missions in my Grasshopper, sometimes lancemates come along as bate. We just demolished the story mission with the fuel depots and the fun little encounter at the end. Lancemates lost some linbs but I had armour left on every component. Plus I tanked at the end to save repair costs. Dunno if difficulty 37 is mid game though, seems like it's almost mid game.

Difficulty is from 1-100
Merc rank is from 1-15

Mid game is subjective though since you can hit Merc 15 before even completing the campaign if you wanted.
I remember at Merc 13ish I felt OP when going back to complete the story missions....till the end, then it got really hard again.

#17 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:19 PM

Wheheeey! Finally A MW5 forum, thnaks PGI. Now the MWO peeps may rest and calm down Posted Image

I havent finished the story game yet. But have gotten the Thunderbolt 5s, Jager S and the Archer, my first heavies.
I find the lights are actually useful far into the game, have their shining uses. I usually take a light when it comes to raids, heck even giving my most experienced A.I pilots a chance to pilot a light. Decent results. And I prefer the Flea, even if its slower than Locust.
The trick is to snake move your sorry *** outta there when shells are flying past you with dreaded whine sounds. Intense and I love it!

#18 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:33 PM

My progression path:

4 MedLas Javelins
8 MedLas Swaybacks
6 MedLas + Large Laser Battlemaster
6 MedLas + 4 SRM6 Stalker

I still use the Swayback but only personally; lancemates can't handle it.

#19 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostOdanan, on 18 December 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

I'm doing this with the Ember, and it's only 4 MGs (+4 SLs). Boy, I need that Arrow.

Yeah, I had an Ember also, and was blown away with how effective MG's were once you got into om-nom dakka range.

The LPL in the guts of the Arrow is just icing on the cake though. It's interchangeable with an ERPEEP depending on your mood, and being in the CT, it's fairly well protected. Losing a ST isn't even a huge issue as MG's and MLAS are cheap as dirt and plentiful enough to hoard if you keep an eye out for them on salvage screens.

Also, the mobility of an 80ish kph mech makes you surprisingly survivable even at higher difficulties.

I was running the hero Black Knight after upgrading from my Ember when I found the Arrow, and found that the intrepid little blackjack was a definite upgrade.

I've only just found myself swapping out to an SRM Stalker when the mood strikes me, for the hilarity of massed SRMs.

#20 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

Warhammer
IV-4
Butterbee

The BB is possibly the most OP mech you can get before late-game. 4 SRM6 + 4 ML + JJ? It one-shots anything less than a heavy, and an assault takes three shots at most.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users