So I Keep Hearing About Mods.

27 replies to this topic

#1 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:25 PM

So who are the modders, where are they and where are the tools?

#2 BoydofZINJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

I am guessing most will be people who worked on the Roguetech mods from battletech. However, this is not the unity engine - so modders may have to learn a different language to work on this game as well as the Paradoz/Hairbrainscheme Battletech. (Since Unity is free and there are like a million videos on how to use Unity)

#3 Arrow Flint

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

View PostBoydofZINJ, on 18 December 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

I am guessing most will be people who worked on the Roguetech mods from battletech. However, this is not the unity engine - so modders may have to learn a different language to work on this game as well as the Paradoz/Hairbrainscheme Battletech. (Since Unity is free and there are like a million videos on how to use Unity)

This is unreal engine which is pretty well known for modding. Right now, you can unpack the main game .pak file, however everything is bundled into .uasset files. I haven't been able to unpack those (but haven't tried that hard) using the Unreal Engine tools.

#4 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

Russ said in the AMA tonight that the mod editor is ready but they're waiting on Epic and the license agreement for modding being available on the servers to release it, which COULD be as early as tommorow.

#5 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 18 December 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

Russ said in the AMA tonight that the mod editor is ready but they're waiting on Epic and the license agreement for modding being available on the servers to release it, which COULD be as early as tommorow.

is tomorrow something you guess or Russ said?. Has Russ at any time before said modding depended on Epic licence conditions? sorry not in the habit of listening to Russ.

#6 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:29 PM

Russ said tommorow possibly and added the caveat that he could have just said "january" and then surprised people by releasing it tommorow instead.

#7 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

I hope the modders aren't purely from RT team. I'd love it if the Long War team got their hands on MW5 to try something different. They now have a studio after all and would probably try something out here. Even the MW : LL team could try modding MW5.

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

the game has been out for only week, you're gonna need to give modders some time to actually mod ya know. I'd say check back in a couple months and there should be some good ones starting to come around

#9 Blackstorm

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:48 PM

There is A LOT of basic in universe stuff missing from this game. We should not need modders for the lore basics.
Where are the mission ties to the actual lore happenings of the inner sphere? Where are the comstar news feeds? Where are the ex Wolfs Dragoons, or Kell hounds, Or Northwind Highlander pilots? Where are the comstar adepts? Where are the salvage trucks? or VTOLS or anything that reminds me I'm running a merc company? Where are the holovid pics of the ruling houses? such missed opportunities!

there are some fun elements in this game but it feels lazy and under polished and PGI has certainly under utilised the timeline aspect of the game instead of a grind for Rep, let me join the 4th succession war. Let me fight pirates that have GREAT gear close to Terra. ya know. the little things.(I'm 20+ hours in btw)

Edited by Blackstorm, 18 December 2019 - 09:49 PM.

#10 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:12 PM

View PostBoydofZINJ, on 18 December 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

I am guessing most will be people who worked on the Roguetech mods from battletech.

Unlikely. They made a statement that the RT team won't touch MW5 due to the whole Epic / preorder ordeal. Some of their members might, but if the lead devs aren't in it, that might not account for much.

#11 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:43 PM

why the LW Team or MWLL Team and not you ? all will Mods, all can use the UE SDK and Modtools , doing it self for learn what modding is ,and the problems Posted Image the MWLL and LW Teams have own projects..

don't cry out for others to do what you can do yourself
you will mods ?learn and do it
you will maps ? learn and do it

Modders are no species that exist like desire fairies to make others happy, but people who learn on their own initiative to change something and thereby make others happy

Modders are no species that exist like desire fairies to make others happy, but people who learn on their own initiative to change something and thereby make others happy

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 19 December 2019 - 12:00 AM.

#12 Gusevich

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:58 PM

How about learning how to properly write (in english), mate?

Also - if PGI didn't give two shits about making this game anything more them MinimallyViableProduct, why should anyone even care? lol, also there is no mod support...yet? xD

#13 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:01 AM

View PostGusevich, on 18 December 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

How about learning how to properly write (in english), mate?

Also - if PGI didn't give two shits about making this game anything more them MinimallyViableProduct, why should anyone even care? lol, also there is no mod support...yet? xD

i learn it step for step and im better as before 4 Years ...badly im never had english in the school, and is hard to learn it with 55 years..im in a Age who im more fight against to forget many as learn news Posted Imageich kann natürlich besser in Deutsch schreiben .
Im lucky when Google for test my text by translate it with Google without errors back to german.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 19 December 2019 - 07:44 AM.

#14 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:57 AM

A really good mission editor would do this game a great service, but it would need to be good say similar to the one in Operation Fladhpoint//Armored Assault. PGI should have a look at AAs mission editor it would be perfect for this.

Edited by N0MAD, 19 December 2019 - 08:00 AM.

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:05 AM

Reminder that is it an edited version. Hopefully it is, ALL.

Posted Image

#16 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:54 AM

Wait I have a bit of a understanding problem here.
The unreal editor is a tool to create games from scratch, basicly. Sooo when they say they give us the unreal editor + all the assets and data they used to create MW5, wouldn't that mean that we could basicly create complete MW games on our own?
Sure in the confines of what the editor and assets give you but more or less it should be possible to create you own story or gamemodes?
It will be realy interesting to see how far we could take this.

As for offcial mod support. Well I could life with haveing to copy some files into the MW5 folder by hand instead of haveing a nice interface or anything but if the editor is as powerfull as I would guess then I can very well wait for official support.

#17 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:22 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 19 December 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

Wait I have a bit of a understanding problem here.
The unreal editor is a tool to create games from scratch, basicly. Sooo when they say they give us the unreal editor + all the assets and data they used to create MW5, wouldn't that mean that we could basicly create complete MW games on our own?
Sure in the confines of what the editor and assets give you but more or less it should be possible to create you own story or gamemodes?

Yes, which is why they're waiting on the licensing agreement from Epic being in place which players will need to agree to before they can download their copy of the editor, and they'll no doubt be language in the agreement where they are forbidden to market copies of the game themselves, cannot create new games without Epic's permission, etc.

#18 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:53 AM

How many says , the modding with UE very easy and im very interesting to seeing teh works.
For myself ,im not familiar with the UE in this way.
so im make first not more as new textures , or Maps when im learn the Function of the Biome Modules,further import of models und seeing what can im doing with this in the Engine (destruction/Burning by new exotical Plants) ..most learn by doing im thinking Posted Image and to many other Projects in Real life next the Job.

Im not thinking thats in the First Year many big Mods comes , not all Modders waiting only to MW5 or worked to other Projects .

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 19 December 2019 - 07:57 AM.

#19 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:05 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 19 December 2019 - 07:22 AM, said:

Yes, which is why they're waiting on the licensing agreement from Epic being in place which players will need to agree to before they can download their copy of the editor, and they'll no doubt be language in the agreement where they are forbidden to market copies of the game themselves, cannot create new games without Epic's permission, etc.

Completly understandable that these kind of agreements must be in place.
It would also be good for PGI to look out for those modders and creators. Might be something of interest in there.

I don't know if its just wishfull thinking but one of the voices in my head just had the thought if it would be a good idea if PGI would offer a reward system. Like if you create something that they like and want to make an offcial part of MW5 then you get some money in return.
Could be a win-win situation for both sides. Creators have a incentive to create the best thing they can and PGI gets some new content or even just ideas for stuff they can sell.
I mean stuff that dosn't make it past QA would still be free or if a creator dosn't want to sell but in general it could lead to more, better contend...or not?

Not realy sure about it.

#20 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

Hi Nesutizale :)

You ean like War Thudner ? Modders and Mapers becomes for good Maps, or Texturemods little Gifts for it , was not a Problem in a PvP Online game ,otherside a problem in a Singleplayer Game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users