How To Do It Right. ( Its Not Hard Pgi )

18 replies to this topic

#1 Azhrael

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

Well, this is my last effort to try and help these guys. INCOMING WALL-O-TEXT.

You already knew what the players wanted.

You had a HUGE pool of features on all the previous franchise games. You had those reviews to know which ones to use and which ones not.

You CHOOSE not to. Why? dont care. You missed the chance to actually make history. Its on you, We players will just go back to LL or MEktek or MC2 or RT to sate our stompy needs.In short : anywhere but here.

Still, its a damn shame.

There are a lot of things that should be there from the beginning :

- Company growth: Theres nothing of the sort besides your Pilots leveling up AUTOMATICALLY. No choice to personalize/specialize mechwarriors. This is just a couple lines of code man...just put a button beside the skills once the xp bar fills and done. MECHCOMMANDER 2 already have this.

- No Leopard upgrades. We know it capable of airlifting a full 400 tons lance by design. We cant because reasons. Drop weight is tied to some weird, silly god, instead of being tied to your operational costs or some adequate game mechanic. Same with the Mechlab. MW4 MERCS and BATTLETECH already have this.

- Second lance. Cant buy/find another Leopard? Why? Last mission show Comstar using Union Dropships. There are several wreckages also. Let me do something about that with my useless C-bills. MW4 MERCS and BATTLETECH already have this.

- No Solaris Arena. Really, how hard can that be. Any match is just a Defense mission w/o an objetive to protect. MW4 MERCS already have this.

- Faction related gameplay. Market discounts. Really, thats all you could come up with. No faction exclusive gear, tech, missions, locations, pilots, anything? No, nothing. ANY GAME WITH FACTIONS have this.

- No base. Why? Where is it written a Merc outfit MUST be nomad? Get hero with some faction and give the chance to build a Base in one of their planets? Just change said planet to have Industrial one's options and then go wild with customization options. ANY GAME WITH FACTIONS HAVE THIS, also BATTLETECH's Argo is a decent approach.

- Cinematics. They went totally cheap on this. You already are paying for voice actors ( Using the term loosely on this one ) Go an extra leg and get some real actors to do the cinematics "older MECH titles " style. I mean, this IP have several of the most memorable Cinematics and intros on games history. MW4 and MECHCOMMANDER 2 are paramount examples. And ****, they are not over complicated like todays CGI. Take a look at todays World of Warships or Warthunder.. AND THEY DO THEM FOR PROMOTION FFS.

And any others i cant be bothered to point out.

Conclusion :

Just barebones content. This is just the same as SW Battlefront ***********. Or Anthem's, or Destiny, or Fallout 76. Or take your frakking pick. You got yourself on that bandwagon of mediocrity.

What is worse, is that you had US telling you for all these years how and what do we, the players, want/like in order to give you money. You ignored everything, is plain suicidal.

I just dont get it. And dont care, sincerely.

If i have to wait for the modders to make something of this game, like with Battletech and RT, then rest assured im giving my money to them, and not to you. And if it flops because ppl like me wont pay to play it, meh, nobody cares,

#2 Azhrael

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

Addendum:

The " Let the game Grow before burning it " argument.

No.

SP Expansions are for added content: Extended Campaign, more Mechs, items, locations. NOT TO PATCH/ADD CORE MECHANICS.

If any disagree or cant understand that concept, you dont know what you should get for your money and you are part of the problem.

#3 Blackstorm

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:33 AM

As someone who is enjoying the game as a co op, I still have to agree with most of your statements. It should have been more at launch and I would be priced in for DLC. But if DLC doesn't address these core issues I will not be going on the ride.

#4 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:41 AM

Did you try not buying the game...? I sure did!

I ask because you're a Founder, you of all people have the least amount of excuse for an "I can believe PGI could do this! If only they would just LISTEN!" thread. They dont care dude. Its not rocket science, they did the bare minimum to put out a MW title.

You freaking write hex codes for colors for each mech...they didnt even get all of the bare minimum expectations for a game from the 90's, let alone worry about depth or content. There is zero finger to point at anyone but yourself for giving PGI even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

#5 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostToothless, on 19 December 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

... they did the bare minimum to put out a two MW titles.

FTFY.

#6 SWANN

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

Man this community is full of histrionic cry babies.

#7 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

I ask because you're a Founder, you of all people have the least amount of excuse for an "I can believe PGI could do this! If only they would just LISTEN!" thread. They dont care dude. Its not rocket science, they did the bare minimum to put out a MW title.

You freaking write hex codes for colors for each mech...they didnt even get all of the bare minimum expectations for a game from the 90's, let alone worry about depth or content. There is zero finger to point at anyone but yourself for giving PGI even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

It always amuses me when players who are barely average skill at PLAYING the game are apparently experts on how to develop the game.

#8 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 19 December 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

It always amuses me when players who are barely average skill at PLAYING the game are apparently experts on how to develop the game.

It always amuses when people use weak *** ad hominem attacks. I dont even play MW5, so good luck with that line of attack. Did you steeple your fingers smugly after typing that?

But yea you're right, someone's gaming ability should decide whether or not PGI is at fault for using hex color with no ability to save that color, save that color scheme, apply said color scheme to all of your mechs (you know, since its a merc company and all)...all of that can not be criticized if you arent good at MW5.

#9 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

Actually there's a copy & paste function in the game for the color codes. Hold the left mouse button and drag it across the hex numbers (or just double left click and it'll do it for you) and then hit the right mouse button and select "copy" then go to another mech in the same color spot and right click and paste.

#10 Azhrael

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

Of course i didnt buy it. Already stated it.

And i could get your argument if i was throwing them money every week or something..but for trying to help them start up in 2010...?

Toothless argument indeed.

#11 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:17 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 19 December 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

You should not use that argument....

#12 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:48 AM

I for one am happy with MW5 and find it highly addictive, in spite all the downsides, bugs, and common sense missing.

When I finish the story line, i fully expect to still enjoy blowing things up in instant action, or simply starting a new campaign all over again.

#13 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:56 AM

View PostAzhrael, on 19 December 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

Of course i didnt buy it. Already stated it.

And i could get your argument if i was throwing them money every week or something..but for trying to help them start up in 2010...?

Toothless argument indeed.

Actually, read your post again and it really does sound like you bought the game, because you wrote a wall of text listing all of the problems about it...?

View PostDee Eight, on 19 December 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

Actually there's a copy & paste function in the game for the color codes. Hold the left mouse button and drag it across the hex numbers (or just double left click and it'll do it for you) and then hit the right mouse button and select "copy" then go to another mech in the same color spot and right click and paste.

You get that that is terrible though, right?

Like if a player wants to change the colors for 8 mechs, he needs to perform an absurd amount of clicks to make that happen. While PGI and User Interfaces are oil and water, it does not take a game designer to understand that that is an absurd method for coloring units. Not being hyperbolic, I can not think of a single game that ONLY lets you use hexcodes for colors. Theres no defending how lazy this design choice is.

(SIDENOTE: anyone remember back when they missed the UI 2.0 deadline by almost a year, then launched the public test for UI 2.0 like the day before Battlefield 4 launched? lol)

#14 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:58 AM

View PostToothless, on 20 December 2019 - 04:56 AM, said:

You get that that is terrible though, right?

I get that this game franchise attracts a lot of babies who like to complain about things. I have seen this color palette method used in other games and other applications. Maybe a future patch will let you have player created presets for unit colors / favorite colors. It was one of the things discussed in the AMA 2 days ago.

#15 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:09 AM

The problem is variety, there is very little and it´s a legit complain whether you are actually enjoying the core game or not.

I can´t see myself playing a second run of the campaign, there is simply little to no interaction in between fights. After trying 3-4 mech configurations most runs feel the same after leveling, you just have a mech with more armor and more of the same guns.

I do also realize the fact that other people enjoy the combat aspect as a total package and don´t care about other forms of interaction, nor do they mind a game without a propper narrative and engaging campaign. I am actually missing the cheesy B movie cutscenes from MW 4, I never thought I would write this.

I would like far more variety and choices.

#16 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:18 AM

Its the sandbox versus story design question. From what I got from the podcast initialy MW5M was designed without the story at all and the story was only added last year after some people talked Russ into including one beside him openly saying in the interview that storytelling/writing isn't his companies strong side and thats is why he initily didn't wanted to include a story.

I allready realised that in some way before it was said in the podcast from how half done it felt. On the other hand for a small indy developer who has never done something like writing and presenting a full story (as far as I know) this is okay. I think if they could get some competent writer(s) and some people who know how to present a story and create a nice paceing in a game...all the basic work to use that knowledge is there.

#17 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

Not trying to poo on your post OP, but I want to make sure you understand that things we think are obvious are often very subjective. For example, there are maybe two things in you original list that I agree with, but the majority of your items are things I don’t care about or miss in the least. In fact, several of them would have annoyed me if they were included while features that I think are important were not.

i have no problem with folks making lists of the things they want. Heck, I did that myself! Just don’t fall into the trap of assuming what you want is what everyone wants, or what makes financial sense to build into the game. I know you feel like all that stuff is obvious, but I’ve played most of the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander games, and I really don’t care about most of what you feel is missing, so maybe different people enjoyed different things about those games.

#18 Azhrael

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostMaxx Blue, on 20 December 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

Not trying to poo on your post OP, but I want to make sure you understand that things we think are obvious are often very subjective. For example, there are maybe two things in you original list that I agree with, but the majority of your items are things I don’t care about or miss in the least. In fact, several of them would have annoyed me if they were included while features that I think are important were not.

i have no problem with folks making lists of the things they want. Heck, I did that myself! Just don’t fall into the trap of assuming what you want is what everyone wants, or what makes financial sense to build into the game. I know you feel like all that stuff is obvious, but I’ve played most of the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander games, and I really don’t care about most of what you feel is missing, so maybe different people enjoyed different things about those games.

I absolutely get your point and even agree with it 100%. Of course theres also people who could do with out the campaign, i read several post with ppl stating exactly that. Well obviously a MW Mercs game isnt what they want. They want MWO private lobbies with bots.

But lets be honest: Its a single player game man. You CANT go cheap on story, or variety, or ambient. What we have here is just an STRIPED MWO with bots. And you have arguably the same control on your lance as you have on a pub game =P

Maybe previous iterations " features " were not excellent for everyone, but they WERE THERE. That is my whole point. Previous titles ALREADY had those things. What kind on sensate person would REMOVE features? The sensible thing would be modify/replace/improve, right?

They just decided to deliver LESS than previous titles willingly. THEY DONT HAVE TO COME UP WITH THOSE!! You get that? xD The ideas are already there FFS!!!

Lmao, its just venting at this point ofc. Maybe enough people are satisfied with this thing and in a couple years they actually finish the game. Then i may be willing to buy something i could actually enjoy.

PD : @ Toothless

View PostAzhrael, on 18 December 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

....If i have to wait for the modders to make something of this game, like with Battletech and RT, then rest assured im giving my money to them, and not to you....

There are a lot of ways to know what you need to know about a game before buying it: Personally trusted reviewers, Let's plays, C0dex.

You always buy games based on what the developer tells you? =P

#19 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:54 AM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 20 December 2019 - 01:17 AM, said:

You should not use that argument....

lol, got 'em.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users