We Need To Talk.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstorm

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

Can we talk about some things please?

There is A LOT of basic in universe stuff missing from this game.
We should not need modders for the lore and polish basics.
Where are the mission ties to the actual lore happenings of the inner sphere? Where are the Comstar news feeds keeping me informed? Where are the ex Wolfs Dragoons, or Kell hounds, Or Northwind Highlander pilots? Where are the Comstar adepts to send my HPGs? Where are the salvage trucks? or VTOLS or anything that reminds me I'm running a merc company and that this Leapord, the OPO, the pilots and a lonely ship marine aren't the sole inhabitants of the world?
MW2Mercs was FAR more immersive in this regard and that game is 20+ years old my dudes. Such missed opportunities!

Now there are some fun elements in this game, don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it despite its many flaws. But that's because I'm an OG early 90s Btech fan. But at times it also feels lazy, under polished and PGI has certainly under utilised the timeline aspect of the game. Instead of a grind for Rep, let me join the 4th succession war. Let me fight 'pirates' that have GREAT gear close to Terra. Ya know. The little things.(I'm rep 8 and 20+ hours in btw)

Harebrained did a fantastic job of immersion PGI could learn from them.

OH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE FIND A NEW DROPSHIP ARRIVING IN SYSTEM CUT SCENE JESUS CHRIST I'M SO SICK OF IT. *This goes for you too PGI*

Edited by Blackstorm, 18 December 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:01 PM

BUT MUH LUORE

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

View PostBlackstorm, on 18 December 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

Harebrained did a fantastic job of immersion PGI could learn from them.

No. The first several months of HBS's Battletech was quite a bland experience, both in terms of gameplay and also the way the game ran. Of all the complaints that bog MW5 down, yours isn't exactly valid now, is it?

Rose-tinted glasses can be blinding, I hear.

#4 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:17 PM

^lolwhut

You got a little on your chin, friend.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:52 PM

Before the Flashpoint DLC got released, can you tell me exactly what Battletech did, mission-after-mission, that was exciting?

Apart for the campaign missions, everything else was bland. It was made worse 'cause the weapon variety was bad as well. On top of that, once you got your headshots ready and landed a couple of heavies, it was game over anyway.

#6 Blackstorm

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:38 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 18 December 2019 - 10:01 PM, said:

BUT MUH LUORE

Um, yeah? and?

#7 Blackstorm

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:41 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 18 December 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

Before the Flashpoint DLC got released, can you tell me exactly what Battletech did, mission-after-mission, that was exciting?

Apart for the campaign missions, everything else was bland. It was made worse 'cause the weapon variety was bad as well. On top of that, once you got your headshots ready and landed a couple of heavies, it was game over anyway.

It definitly could be bland at times yes. But at least it made you feel like your pilots were living lives around you, like the story was unfolding around you.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:48 AM

Are you referring to those events where you picked option A, B or C and the random chatter in the Argo and things like that? I downloaded a mod to reduce the latter and barely cared about the former 'cause it was tacky at best. I'd rather have none of those than something tacky. Just my personal preference.

#9 Blackstorm

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:34 AM

So you're 100% fine with the low budget mech bay and bad 3d model we got for the head tech?
Come now.

#10 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:51 AM

I agree, thats why I think MW2 Mercs is still the better game.

The 4th Succesion Wars just happen, without any tie-ins. Kinda dissapointing.

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:19 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 18 December 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

I won't say either is a good game; but Battletech was at least a complete game on release lol.

#12 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:34 AM

Have you ever heard the term 'minimally viable product'? Because Russ can probably give you a heads up on PGI's modus operandi.

#13 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:46 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 19 December 2019 - 03:19 AM, said:

I won't say either is a good game; but Battletech was at least a complete game on release lol.

Battletech was WHAT? lol

Battletech is only playable with mods, vanilla it was pure boring crap….

OMG, after this statement I see you have no idea, serious...

"Battletech was a complete game on launch".... L O L

#14 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 19 December 2019 - 03:19 AM, said:

I love HBS Battletech but that's some Rose colored glasses man. At release it was buggy and sparse. Stability exploit made ease of double Gauss headshot in this look like Dark Souls challenge level.

Fewer maps, smaller maps, almost non existent AI by comparison, fewer mechs, only the Aurigan Reach to play in, a lot of technical issues. They've turned it into a great game and I still enjoyed it even at launch but MW5 is flat out better out of the gate.

I realize you're not the games target audience and aren't impressed with it but it's a good game and a great Battletech game and I hope to see PGI continue to improve it the same way HBS did their game.

#15 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

And yet, it was still a game with a full campaign that had more than ~5 missions, all of the launch features were finished, and it was overall a lot more polished than this ****.

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:03 PM

wheres my union class lol.

#17 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 19 December 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

And yet, it was still a game with a full campaign that had more than ~5 missions, all of the launch features were finished, and it was overall a lot more polished than this ****.

Do you smoke weed or something?

-There weren't more than 5 mission-types either….

-MW5 has a full campaign

-"All features were finished?" (cough* pilotskills *cough)

-Polished? Like the great optimization of memory leaks for months?

I see that you only hate on PGI for their mistakes with Epic and MWO and therefor you can't give any unbiased comments, that's all.

#18 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

Where did I say mission types?

MW5's campaign is more or less empty; the rep grind between missions lol.

Polished as in; had way better quality assets and areas weren't obviously skimped on.

BT got way better reviews around release than MW5 lol.

You got a little bit on your chin man.

Even daddy admitted the story was bad.

Edited by Prototelis, 19 December 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#19 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:56 PM

What's really funny is that HBS is now getting accolades for the things it got panned for at release because it justifies criticism of PGI and someone like me, who's spent years panning PGI over MWO and faction warfare am defending it by pointing out the realities of the HBS release - which I also defended if only by saying expectations on a small studios first release should be low.

Ah well. If someone doesn't like it that's fine. However saying that HBS was better at release is not accurate.

#20 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

I'm not giving HBS any accolades here or anywhere; I have been very critical of the game, especially on this forum.

I didn't say it was a better game either; it was a more complete game.

MW5 needed 9 months more development.

Edited by Prototelis, 19 December 2019 - 05:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users