Thanks Epic Customer Support.

14 replies to this topic

#1 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 05:38 PM

Game download screen should come with warning, for SSD drive only. 10 minute lod times between missions? I was past the "free refund" before my third mission. It's a console port. Had to add a drive and delete, now another 4 hour wait to download, apparently you can't just move the file.

Because reasons.

At least they got back to me with 24 hours. Would have helped for a little more detailed instructions on how to download a game. I guess I'm a ludite.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:08 PM

Dude buy an SSD and stop buying over priced games lol

#3 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

Ya this day and age, nobody should be gaming on hdd. SSD are budget now

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:12 AM

you really need to learn how to set up junction points. i use them whenever i want to put data on a drive that doesn't have any system crap on it. only problem is, software likes to put files in places where the system resides. also works when you need to move a folder, but dont want the system to know you moved the folder. an mklink -j and the problem goes away.

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 20 December 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Ya this day and age, nobody should be gaming on hdd. SSD are budget now

a 1tb nvme stick is like $100 now.

#5 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:05 AM

View PostJohn McClintock, on 20 December 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

Game download screen should come with warning, for SSD drive only. 10 minute lod times between missions? I was past the "free refund" before my third mission. It's a console port.

SSD is standard in PC gaming for several years, no need for a warning here.

And you do know that consoles come with regular HDDs and the games still manage to achieve relatively quick loading times? No console gamer would be willing to wait 10 minutes. So if anything console ports should run MUCH better on PC HDDs than most games developed primarily for PC.

Console games are required to squeeze everything out of their HDD, while pure PC games can just assume that they will be installed on an SSD.

Edited by Daggett, 21 December 2019 - 05:52 AM.

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:34 AM

Wait, what? I'm running MW5 on the HDD. I have no problems with the load time. From the main menu, if I select Campaign or Instant Action, I have to wait a couple of minutes. But after that, the missions load within a minute.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:09 AM

My current computer has an SSD main drive, but I'm running the game off of a standard SATA 2 Terabyte HD.
My load times are under 2 minutes in the most extreme cases.

Are you sure there isn't another issue like ram?
(I've got 32 gigabytes of RAM).

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:36 AM

OP buy a pair of SSDs. The first replaces your C drive and you want to make sure it's the same size as your current C drive. This way, you can do a straight bitwise copy of your old drive to the new one and windows will never know anything happened. The second drive will be your data drive, put your Steam / Epic / whatever game libraries on there. Here's a guide that might be useful. An SSD will change your life, believe me!

Edited by RickySpanish, 21 December 2019 - 05:38 AM.

#9 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:07 PM

hmm.... I only had 8gb of RAM, I added a 500gb ssd and load time went from 5-10 minutes to about 1 or 2 minutes. I also (afterwards) swapped from 8 to 32 gig of RAM and turned my game settings all to max, runs great now, I think it even reduced my load times even lower, I didn't use a stop watch but it seems they load in well under a minute now.

definitely not going crazy waiting for the game to load now...

I'll need to look into some of the tricks y'all mentioned. I also wanted the SSD drive to backup 20 years worth of computer data that I had residing in a single hard drive with no real backup... great success,

I'll be adding the 8 gig I removed to an identical computer, and adding an ssd to that one too, so it will have 16gb RAM.

I'll eventually (re)install MWO to my SSD,...unless there is an easy way to just move it and reassign the location for the launcher to look for the game files?

Edited by John McClintock, 21 December 2019 - 02:10 PM.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

View PostJohn McClintock, on 21 December 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

hmm.... I only had 8gb of RAM, I added a 500gb ssd and load time went from 5-10 minutes to about 1 or 2 minutes. I also (afterwards) swapped from 8 to 32 gig of RAM and turned my game settings all to max, runs great now, I think it even reduced my load times even lower, I didn't use a stop watch but it seems they load in well under a minute now.
It's possible that on minimum RAM the game makes heavy use of the page file. Which is kinda horrible on your storage.

I'll eventually (re)install MWO to my SSD,...unless there is an easy way to just move it and reassign the location for the launcher to look for the game files?
Symlinks.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

View PostHorseman, on 21 December 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

Symlinks.

i make extensive use of these. the idea is to make sure everything on the c drive is completely disposable. i can nuke the entire system at will and be back to normal in 30 minutes thanks to a batch script.

#12 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 21 December 2019 - 03:34 AM, said:

Wait, what? I'm running MW5 on the HDD. I have no problems with the load time. From the main menu, if I select Campaign or Instant Action, I have to wait a couple of minutes. But after that, the missions load within a minute.

You would if you didn't have enough RAM and it had to Cache to the HDD everytime it wanted to do something.

#13 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:53 AM

Using M2 SSD, I always have to wait 2 minutes till all HDD users have loaded the map :/

#14 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:09 AM

View PostQuandoo, on 25 December 2019 - 06:53 AM, said:

HDD users

I thought that species went extinct years ago.

BTW I just checked the store page and for recommended system it says "55GB free space SSD".

#15 Obiwayne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany, Cologne

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:24 AM

Running the game on a hybrid hdd and have no problems with loading times whatsoever

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users