3 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:28 AM

As I understand it, six people were reported injured when a pair of cruise ships hit each other, head on. Now according to one captain, the wind was blowing. (Blowing what?)

Now I feel sorry for the guy in the deck chair, his vacation got a little more interesting than he intended.

Cruise ships get a bad wrap, but this one takes the cake. The captains can't claim he did not see the other ship. Perhaps the bridge crew was overseeing a Bingo Game, or had installed the new auto pilot from Uber, but still, makes me want to avoid any vacation aboard a ship. I'm too afraid of what might happen, and this recent event does not make me feel any better.

So I wish everyone here a great weekend, and long life (away from these sea going disasters).

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:05 AM

The ships did not hit head-on. The Glory's stern (rear), starboard (right side), scrapped the bow of the Legend, which was already docked. In one of the videos the pier is even viewable next to the Legend's portside (left side). Combination of sailing too close with local conditions while maneuvering the ship to dock.

Carnival Glory was maneuvering to dock when it made contact with Carnival Legend which was already alongside,” the company said in a statement. “We are assessing the damage but there are no issues that impact the seaworthiness of either ship.”

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:01 PM

was all above the hull, just superstructure.

we had a ferry run into one of our fisheries. a few years back, made a nice hole in their dock and took out 2 small cranes (the kind they use to unload fishing boats). what people dont realize is an object of that mass can not stop on a dime. maneuvers have to be planned out a few minutes in advance. sometimes they do it wrong. just turning the rudder or spinning up the bow thrusters can take many seconds.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 December 2019 - 01:05 PM.

#4 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:08 AM

Looked like a mere 2 meter miscalculation from the captain .
And with ships of that size 2 meters isn´t all that much .
Good thing was that nobody got hurt, afaik, and the damage looked like a few meters of glass panels that were demolished .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users