Jump to content

How Does Faction Play Work?


9 replies to this topic

#1 _Magno_

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

I'm not finding a good amount of recent information for new players on Faction Play. I joined Rassalhage, I have Scout and Invasion decks loaded, I "Join" a fight and I see endless timers restarting at 2min and messages that say; "YOu are next" only to see the timer restart.

What is: "OTHER COMPETITORS IN QUEUE: 17/11"

If and when I do get in a fight, what am I expecting?

#2 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

Looks like you're on a fresh account.

A little primer on FP; it's pretty much the end game. You can expect to run into players in coordinated teams running specially built metas for a variety of strats.

I don't want to gate a new player off the bat; but you probably have decks that mostly consist of trial mechs. You can't optimize, modify, or skill those. You're going to be sorely outclassed just on mechs alone.

If that doesn't scare you, and you're ready for an uphill battle (IE, unless you're super good you're going to get pounded like every game) heres the lowdown on how to throw down.



From the main faction screen/inner sphere map you'll see two faction on the top right handside. Under the banners theres a number for each. That 17/11 you see is basically left vs right, this is represented when you Q up and on the innersphere map.

17/11 means there are 17 players waiting on one side, and 11 on the other. You need 12 to fight. You MIGHT get a game if you switch to the side with 11. Also know that the Queue counter you get when you queue up isn't counting you, if you're confused use the numbers on the right hand side of the inner sphere map screen. The matchmaker in FP always takes groups first, so if there are enough people in groups to make 12 you will get skipped.

MS is running an FP thing today, I think. If you have teamspeak thats a decent place to look for groups. The addy is; mercstar.teamspeak3.com


Try to pay attention to the scores at the end of the game. If you see people putting up consistent 2000 damage+ games without lockons; those are the people to watch and listen to when they offer advice. Be open to criticism and willing to learn, but just know with trial mechs you're kind of an active burden to any team so be prepared for a little salt.

You want to aim for at least 1k damage and 4 KMDDs per faction game. That is doing a fair share of the work, and is considered about average.

Edited by Prototelis, 21 December 2019 - 11:39 AM.


#3 _Magno_

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:59 AM

I have 4 owned mechs wih about 60 SP. I finally got into an Attack and it was 42-45 kills, but I only managed about 350 damage. I wasn't ramboing, and yet even minor peak outs and 2 kills were CT only damage and done. This is definitely big boy area. The Alpha Lance had a [FIAT] next to each name. So I assume that was a unit of likley team speak folks. Chating I got only one guy giving me simple advice.

The mission was take out the orbital cannon. But I saw no way for us as attackers to take out a single generator before 30min clock.

What are general strategies for this?

#4 Hazeclaw

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,887 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

you got unlucky to have FAIT guys on your team, they're decent players but terrible teammates, their only goal is to troll both the enemy team and their own

it's very tough to get a drop for a new solo player in FP, the matchmaker takes groups first and then highly rated players. So if you want to get drops you will need to get into a group

download teamspeak software and go to the MS address Prototelis posted, MS guys will help you out and answer any questions you might have

#5 The Jewce Iz Loose

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostMagnoguido, on 21 December 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

I have 4 owned mechs wih about 60 SP. I finally got into an Attack and it was 42-45 kills, but I only managed about 350 damage. I wasn't ramboing, and yet even minor peak outs and 2 kills were CT only damage and done. This is definitely big boy area. The Alpha Lance had a [FIAT] next to each name. So I assume that was a unit of likley team speak folks. Chating I got only one guy giving me simple advice.

The mission was take out the orbital cannon. But I saw no way for us as attackers to take out a single generator before 30min clock.

What are general strategies for this?


kill mechs first, and turrets, shoot ogen's and omega at the end when nothing else is there to shoot you in the back, we have an open FP LFG even going on this weekend. You are more than welcome to come join us

Edited by The Jewce Iz Loose, 21 December 2019 - 12:26 PM.


#6 _Magno_

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:46 PM

Ok, many thanks folks. I joined the Teamspeak provided. Pretty empty right now, but its a MOnday at lunch. If there is more information, I would love to absorb what I can.

I read more info on Faction play and switched my Dropdeck to start with a Light G-ECM max sensor to just support the Assaults. We won, I just hid and spotted the whole time for the team. Tried some general chat comms, the faction play was great.

#7 Nightbird

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

To find comms, keep a note of groups of players with the same unit tags, and ask them if they have comms and would be willing to show you the ropes. Best way into the game. The reason is that some units are NA prime time, others are EU or Oceanic prime time, and those are many hours apart.

#8 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:08 PM

Front load armor and max out L/R/C Torso sections. You can drop into the Siege maps in the Testing grounds. Be prepared to Torso twist and stick with the team.

Reminder, FP will usually play differently than a QP match. Though a number of players attempt to play it that way, when they do it is usually a loss, unless the opponents are playing that way too then it is a toss up.

If attacking on Siege, the generators are shielded except for their vulnerable spots, small openings surrounded by grating.

The same for the actual cannon too. I am mentioning this because I have seen too many new players who would be alphaing the generator or the cannon itself, overheat/shutdown to be made easy pickings for the defenders while not doing any actual damage to the gens.

Your opponents/turrets are almost always your primary targets, 99% of the time, but there will be drops where it can make more sense to finish off a gen when the other two are not readily available.


Posted Image

#9 theUgly

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:43 PM

View PostMagnoguido, on 21 December 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

I'm not finding a good amount of recent information for new players on Faction Play. I joined Rassalhage, I have Scout and Invasion decks loaded, I "Join" a fight and I see endless timers restarting at 2min and messages that say; "YOu are next" only to see the timer restart.

What is: "OTHER COMPETITORS IN QUEUE: 17/11"

If and when I do get in a fight, what am I expecting?


Find the people you love playing with .. and drop with them.

#10 The Jewce Iz Loose

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

View PostMagnoguido, on 23 December 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

Ok, many thanks folks. I joined the Teamspeak provided. Pretty empty right now, but its a MOnday at lunch. If there is more information, I would love to absorb what I can.

I read more info on Faction play and switched my Dropdeck to start with a Light G-ECM max sensor to just support the Assaults. We won, I just hid and spotted the whole time for the team. Tried some general chat comms, the faction play was great.


our time to be on is normally about 7 or 8 pm until about midnight est. You will find 1 or 2 on non peak hours but normally not much





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users