19 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:04 AM

I used to play MWO quite a bit until about 18 months ago. During that time, my computer could run the game at about 60 FPS with max settings, no problem. The gameplay was smooth enough for me to play at a competitive level, even in heavy action.

I just bought MW5 and holy heck my FPS is terrible. On the "recommended" settings (mostly medium for all boxes), I'm pulling 20 FPS just looking around the tutorial training ground area. Worse still, all the textures look like they're printed on burlap or I'm looking through a screen door. If I turn things down to LOW, I maybe get a consistent 27 FPS while walking around, but when the cut scene plays I literally dropped to 5 FPS and the textures were taking literally 5 seconds to pop onto the mechs.

Why the hell is this game running so poorly on my system? I know my rig isn't top of the line, but I can play all the current popular PC games without any issue, so why is this game running so poorly!?

My PC stats:
CPU is an Intel i7-4790k @ 4 ghz
Graphics card is AMD Radeon R9 200
16 GB of RAM

#2 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:23 AM

I have some issues with mine as well using an RX560 card, I5-8400 CPU and same memory as you. I think it is partly do to having to have AA on high because of that mesh thing in the graphics affecting AMD cards. I reduced the shade effect on mine to low and that did help, got me roughly 10 FPS more on average according to the Graphics program from AMD.

Side note: I have an RX580 and 16 gig more of memory in a box I got yesterday. Baught it to hopefully get some better graphics results out of the game mainly.

#3 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostSuko, on 23 December 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

I used to play MWO quite a bit until about 18 months ago. During that time, my computer could run the game at about 60 FPS with max settings, no problem. The gameplay was smooth enough for me to play at a competitive level, even in heavy action.

I just bought MW5 and holy heck my FPS is terrible. On the "recommended" settings (mostly medium for all boxes), I'm pulling 20 FPS just looking around the tutorial training ground area. Worse still, all the textures look like they're printed on burlap or I'm looking through a screen door. If I turn things down to LOW, I maybe get a consistent 27 FPS while walking around, but when the cut scene plays I literally dropped to 5 FPS and the textures were taking literally 5 seconds to pop onto the mechs.

Why the hell is this game running so poorly on my system? I know my rig isn't top of the line, but I can play all the current popular PC games without any issue, so why is this game running so poorly!?

My PC stats:
CPU is an Intel i7-4790k @ 4 ghz
Graphics card is AMD Radeon R9 200
16 GB of RAM

It's a 6 year old GPU, and AMD drivers being not that good, except for sure for the new toys

How about everything at low and AA at max so to get rid of the dithering
Also I'm guessing textures at high or max should be fine as this is more up to the amount of VRAM

Sigh
Maybe play around with the resolution slider, using AA at max makes everything blurry anyway

#4 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

ugh.. Radeon.. those are horrible. I tried using one once, Radeon are typically half the performance of other cards of the same spec. I don't waste money on Radeons.

I'm using an AMD FX 8350 (8 Core, 4 gig) and use an older Nvidia GeForce 1050ti and have no issues at all on mid settings.

#5 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostNyte Kitsune, on 23 December 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

ugh.. Radeon.. those are horrible. I tried using one once, Radeon are typically half the performance of other cards of the same spec. I don't waste money on Radeons.

I'm using an AMD FX 8350 (8 Core, 4 gig) and use an older Nvidia GeForce 1050ti and have no issues at all on mid settings.

They're not horrible, please..
I have perfectly fine performance w/ Med & High settings on a 4.2 Ghz - FX CPU w/ 16 gig RAM & an 8 gig RX 570 GPU.
That being said, an R9 200 is old & was a value level card when it was new .
It's just not going to have the juice to give you very good performance in MW5 .

#6 Azhrael

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:22 PM

Have the same issue on an R7 360. Never a problem on MWO or any modern game for that matter, but think i can put the blame almost certainly on the dynamic structures. Open maps it runs flawlessly. Once i get on a defense or demolition....just looking at the broken buildings kills my fps.

Which of course makes kinda sense, all the dust particles are heavy. Would love to just make them dissappear once the building finally collapse? =P

#7 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:41 PM

I've seen many reports on the discord that there are some pretty big problems with not only MW5 but Unreal 4 as a whole and how it interfaces with AMD gfx cards.

I've got a Sapphire Vega 56 I picked up a few months ago for dirt cheap (new) and while it's been stellar for most games I'm seeing numerous graphics anomalies (dithering can be mitigated with AA) with MW5, along with massive fps loss when zoomed.

Given an R9 200 series has various models, one needs to as which one is yours?

#8 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

The R9's were barely a Dx11 capable card until you got into the 300 series.

The R7 is definitely passed its service..

I've got an R9 380 in a secondary machine that I played MWO on and MW5 crushes it on anything but low & med settings because it's only got a 2 gig memory buffer & other design limitation reasons..
Even with shared system memory if there isn't at least 16 gig available then the HD swap file is getting employed.
And I don't even wanna explain why & how slow the games gonna run on low video buffer memory, low system memory & combined reads and writes to the (prob not an SSD) hard drive..

You can't get water from a stone & You've gotta be smarter than the ***** you're working with..

Edited by Iron Heel, 24 December 2019 - 06:34 AM.

#9 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

My card is labeled as an Radeon hd 7950. I realize it's an old card, but I find it sad that I can still run all the modern games just fine at 30 FPS on medium to high settings without issue, but then this game is just barely passable. I realize that PGI doesn't have the optimization resources a company like Infinity Ward has, but good Lord is this game running like arse. Reminds me of when Crysis came out and everyone was bragging about how awesome their system was because they could run the game at 60 FPS. The real discussion should have been: Why is such a powerful system required to run the game in the first place. Answer: Bad coding and bad resource optimization.

Regarding MW5: After a restart or two and tweaking some settings, I found something that is playable and doesn't look like garbage. I will eventually update my GPU, but I'm going to wait until I have more games that demand it. So far, MW5 is the only game I own that really seems to pushing it to the limits.

Edited by Suko, 24 December 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#10 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostSuko, on 24 December 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

My card is labeled as an Radeon hd 7950. I realize it's an old card, but I find it sad that I can still run all the modern games just fine at 30 FPS on medium to high settings without issue, but then this game is just barely passable. I realize that PGI doesn't have the optimization resources a company like Infinity Ward has, but good Lord is this game running like arse. Reminds me of when Crysis came out and everyone was bragging about how awesome their system was because they could run the game at 60 FPS. The real discussion should have been: Why is such a powerful system required to run the game in the first place. Answer: Bad coding and bad resource optimization.

Regarding MW5: After a restart or two and tweaking some settings, I found something that is playable and doesn't look like garbage. I will eventually update my GPU, but I'm going to wait until I have more games that demand it. So far, MW5 is the only game I own that really seems to pushing it to the limits.

All anyone has to do is use really large textures and your system will get sucked down a black hole. Its far easier to crap on performance than it is to fix it.

#11 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

I put in the new RX580 and added the extra 16gb of memory yesterday. Game now runs everything at high with draw distance as far. So noticeable issues that I can see now.

#12 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:42 PM

View PostSabertooth1966, on 25 December 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

I put in the new RX580 and added the extra 16gb of memory yesterday. Game now runs everything at high with draw distance as far. So noticeable issues that I can see now.

That really surprises me.

I just borrowed my buddy's Radeon RX 580 (8gb) and the game runs better, but still very poorly. I'll be lucky to maintain 30 FPS once any fighting starts and that's with med/high settings (not maxed). My CPU is not even breaking 50% utilization and my Memory has plenty to spare.

I am running an ultra-wide (2560 x 1080) display, so I know my GPU is having to pump out about 1/3 more pixels versus a 16:9 monitor. But you'd think with the settings turned down I'd be okay, but nope. I have no idea why you are getting such better results than me.

Edited by Suko, 30 December 2019 - 04:46 PM.

#13 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

I'm using a 32" 1080P smart TV for my main monitor, after 24" to 27" actual monitors are a little to pricey for me to stomach. When I first put in the new hardware it was averaging around 51 or 52 FPS. It has now settled to an average of 46.8 and has been holding there. I also have V-sync turned on in the game. I know some will say that is poor but I am not getting any noticeable lag or stutter even with a lot going on. I havn't tried shooting while zoomed again yet, I tried before the change and it was horrible, but I tend to have more brawler builds for the mech I run anyway.

Edited by Sabertooth1966, 03 January 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#14 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:19 PM

Well that's reassuring I'm playing on a 9+ year old potato with.
I3-4130 (yeah i know)
14gb
Gtx1060 3gb
1440x900

Running around with lancemates and in the dropship 60~fps no problem.
As soon as the enemy appear and the shooting starts fps more than halves (even seen the teens) and it's stutter galore.

I've resorted to modifying engine parameters mixing various scalability groups from the below link. And changing LOD biases etc. Has definitely helped but not fixed it.

https://docs.unreale...ence/index.html

Heard from someone that they had an expensive gaming rig and when they were getting it.

Edited by mad kat, 05 January 2020 - 01:16 AM.

#15 valt901

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

I'm running an I7 4790K like the original poster but i have a GeForce 1050TI and i'm ok until the fight starts. Once more mechs and tanks and stuff get involved then i'm choppy has heck. My settings are at medium. i could update the drivers maybe. Still, MWO my settings are on high and i easily make 60 fps. The graphics in the game are like from 1992.

#16 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:29 AM

View Postvalt901, on 04 January 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

I'm running an I7 4790K like the original poster but i have a GeForce 1050TI and i'm ok until the fight starts. Once more mechs and tanks and stuff get involved then i'm choppy has heck. My settings are at medium. i could update the drivers maybe. Still, MWO my settings are on high and i easily make 60 fps. The graphics in the game are like from 1992.

Stop the "I run MWO just fine so why does MW5 run slow" stuff..
Apples & oranges as far as engines & requirements go.. regardless of how it looks..

If you have a 4 gig (or less) video card you shouldn't be trying to load High textures settings.
The High textures are eating up your video buffer and causing you to use system memory which is slower.
And if you dont have at least 16 gig of system memory, then the swap file is getting engaged and you're slowing down even more.
And it's not all video adapter.. as far as processors go.. Does your i7 bla bla bla clock up high?
Cause with all the backround scripts running you need a high clock cycle to defeat the random hitching & freezing.

Also.. the game is not optimized for ***** yet, so give it time.
It'll get better..

As a refference..

Processor: AMD FX-8370 Black Ed. - 8 Cores @ 4.4+ ghz
Cooling: AMD Wraith
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Memory: 16 gig (2 x 8) G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866 @ 935 mhz
Graphics: XFX - Radeon RX 570 8 gig GDDR 5
System Drive: Western Digital 500 Gb Blue SSD
Storage:Drive Hitachi 750 Gb DeskStar 7200 RPM SATA
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600

I run High & Medium settings on my older generation crap & still get a solid 55-60 fps in battle @1920*1080

#17 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostRorik Thrumsalr, on 23 December 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

I've seen many reports on the discord that there are some pretty big problems with not only MW5 but Unreal 4 as a whole and how it interfaces with AMD gfx cards.

I've got a Sapphire Vega 56 I picked up a few months ago for dirt cheap (new) and while it's been stellar for most games I'm seeing numerous graphics anomalies (dithering can be mitigated with AA) with MW5, along with massive fps loss when zoomed.

Given an R9 200 series has various models, one needs to as which one is yours?

Yeah having the same issues myself. I have a Vega 56 which has allowed me to run most of even the AAA titles at 80-120+ FPS on high and sometimes even ultra settings. In MW5, I barely get 55-65 on High setting and zooming during the action cuts my FPS down to 25 fps with tremendous stuttering. I love the game but I almost have to play the as it zoom doesn't exist.

#18 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 05 January 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yeah having the same issues myself. I have a Vega 56 which has allowed me to run most of even the AAA titles at 80-120+ FPS on high and sometimes even ultra settings. In MW5, I barely get 55-65 on High setting and zooming during the action cuts my FPS down to 25 fps with tremendous stuttering. I love the game but I almost have to play the as it zoom doesn't exist.

Me too. Hopefully now that holiday is over we will start seeing some more info on this getting fixed.

#19 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:26 PM

I found something that may be of help. My CPU is the bottleneck so I found myself wanting to tax the GPU more as it gives around 35% use with the game as default and the CPU can't keep up causing FPS drops and stuttering.

I found this link.
https://www.reddit.c...hical_settings/

I used Norvax's post but upped the "r.ScreenPercentage=115" to >150 (currently 175 in testing) and GPU utilisation is now at maximum. And the game looks much better and even drastically reduced stutter (may be because I capped the FPS at 40 in the user config file). The supersampling was all that's needed to boost it even made FPS more consistent.

#20 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

AMD update driver for MW5, get it here

AMD says
Please give a try for the latest 20.1.1 driver for your Vega 64 graphic card.
[color=#0563C1]https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-1[/color]

Solve 300watts high power wastage for me, now consistently 200w power draw in non-battle-scene, i.e. story mode, but game play gets around 70fps to 120fps on 2560 x 1440 all defaults, MW5 graphics auto detect.

No more zoom drop fps also, problem solved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users