Still No Ammo-Switching Or Crit-Splitting?

14 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

Hey guys, I just realized. There is still no Ammo-Switching or Crit-Splitting, or at least the videos I watched.

WTF? I thought it was the problem of Cry-Engine being lostech due to the original programmer lost? Now you programmed MW5 UE4 from scratch, yet you still cannot put Ammo-Switching or Crit-Splitting?

Maybe in the future please?

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:21 PM

Ammo switching pointless.

There aren't any weapons that would take advantage of crit-splitting, also sized hardpoints lawl.

#3 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:28 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 December 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

There aren't any weapons that would take advantage of crit-splitting, also sized hardpoints lawl.

AC/20 takes advantage of crit-splitting. The King Crab is supposed to have lower-arm and hand actuators, and it would allow you to mount an AC/20 in a torso and still equip an XL engine.

As for ammo-switching, LRMs are supposed to be able to equip all kinds of special munitions, particularly mine-laying and incendiary rounds.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 17 August 2023 - 09:30 AM.

#4 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:09 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 December 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

Inferno and Tandem Charge SRMs would like to know your location

#5 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 20 August 2023 - 10:05 AM

Yat another Mech labMod allows crit wplitting

#6 VaelophisNyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 11:33 PM

View PostMighty Spike, on 20 August 2023 - 10:05 AM, said:

also has ammo switching

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 08:27 AM

if mw5 is the model for what pgi thinks a mechlab should be, thats a big nope. id rather go back to proper build rules. id rather see a hardpointless system. if its allowed by bt build rules you can do it. you of course need to find a way to reconcile that with your mech models so weapons can be identified visually. mwo tried to do that by modelling every possible config into the model, but thats kind of crude, incomplete, and a maintenance nightmare given the large number of mechs in the game. you need a more procedural system that can generate weapon placements from any arbitrary weapon config, while still maintaining a lore-esque appearance. the mwll pod system they were going to go with had potential but we never got to see that in a user facing mechlab.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 September 2023 - 08:30 AM.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 08:32 AM

View PostMighty Spike, on 20 August 2023 - 10:05 AM, said:

still doesnt work with vrwarrior as of last dlc. i would like to use it though. i kind of like putting on my "neurohelmet" before a drop. much immersion.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 September 2023 - 08:35 AM.

#9 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 October 2023 - 05:29 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 September 2023 - 08:27 AM, said:

if mw5 is the model for what pgi thinks a mechlab should be, thats a big nope. id rather go back to proper build rules. id rather see a hardpointless system. if its allowed by bt build rules you can do it. you of course need to find a way to reconcile that with your mech models so weapons can be identified visually. mwo tried to do that by modelling every possible config into the model, but thats kind of crude, incomplete, and a maintenance nightmare given the large number of mechs in the game. you need a more procedural system that can generate weapon placements from any arbitrary weapon config, while still maintaining a lore-esque appearance. the mwll pod system they were going to go with had potential but we never got to see that in a user facing mechlab.

MWLL Pod System? Tell me more. I kinda get why they didn't implement a 'mechlab (look at MWO's frequently changing meta), but a Pod System sounds almost like they would be the first game to actually represent what an Omnimech would have actually looked like, and that's piqued my interest. :)

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 02:57 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 08 October 2023 - 05:29 PM, said:

MWLL Pod System? Tell me more. I kinda get why they didn't implement a 'mechlab (look at MWO's frequently changing meta), but a Pod System sounds almost like they would be the first game to actually represent what an Omnimech would have actually looked like, and that's piqued my interest. Posted Image

based on something i read a long time ago, about how to set up mech loadouts. pretty much the backend for a mechlab ui that was never made, but was still used internally to tweak builds. it was based off of mw4's mechlab from what i could tell. weapons go in pods, pods could be stacked in other pods, and be displayed as part of the mech geometry.

it is an idea for mw5: clans since they will be using omnipods actual. so if you could pull into a mech bay and get a pod change on the stomp that would be awesome to have.

#11 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 October 2023 - 09:05 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 October 2023 - 02:57 AM, said:

based on something i read a long time ago, about how to set up mech loadouts. pretty much the backend for a mechlab ui that was never made, but was still used internally to tweak builds. it was based off of mw4's mechlab from what i could tell. weapons go in pods, pods could be stacked in other pods, and be displayed as part of the mech geometry.

it is an idea for mw5: clans since they will be using omnipods actual. so if you could pull into a mech bay and get a pod change on the stomp that would be awesome to have.

Well, MW4 had the whole hardpoint thing, but there were no visual changes to 'mechs based on their loadout. That's something that is new and unique to MWO, and carried forward into MW5.

As for the rest of it, it sounds like a really neat idea, and I'd love to see a demonstration of it in action. With regards to MW5: Clans, though, unless you've heard different from a reliable source, I wouldn't expect it to be any different from MWO.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 13 October 2023 - 09:06 AM.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 11:01 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 13 October 2023 - 09:05 AM, said:

Well, MW4 had the whole hardpoint thing, but there were no visual changes to 'mechs based on their loadout. That's something that is new and unique to MWO, and carried forward into MW5.

As for the rest of it, it sounds like a really neat idea, and I'd love to see a demonstration of it in action. With regards to MW5: Clans, though, unless you've heard different from a reliable source, I wouldn't expect it to be any different from MWO.

its not really new or unique to mwo as mwll used it first. there is a difference though. in mwo you cant precisely tell what the mech is running visually. eg you cant tell an mrm10/20 from an lrm10/20, atm6es from srm6es, and now with gauss and hags, but you can tell vomit from missile spam, ppcs, and most ballistics. the weapon models are there but since they have to be painstakingly hand crafted for every chassis (a visual style choice most likely, and one that makes the mechs in mwo look a lot better than the ones in mwll), it makes it difficult to add new ones or even much variety.

mwll had a more lego-type implementation you have mech geometry, an intermediate pod, which may or may not have geometry, and then unique models for every weapon. but gameplay is different in mwll since you have to run passive most of the time and locks are fleetingly rare, mwo is more about getting a scan and acting on the data, so visual identification is less important.

it might be easier now to make a more procedural mech design where it not only displays what you install and where, without hardpoint limitation. but also lets you target specific equipment, once the armor is destroyed. not to mention having physical armor maps which you can melt holes through and then be able to shoot internals by aiming at them through the holes. that would be really interesting. were starting to see games with such features.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 October 2023 - 11:05 AM.

#13 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 October 2023 - 11:55 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 October 2023 - 11:01 AM, said:

its not really new or unique to mwo as mwll used it first. there is a difference though. in mwo you cant precisely tell what the mech is running visually. eg you cant tell an mrm10/20 from an lrm10/20, atm6es from srm6es, and now with gauss and hags, but you can tell vomit from missile spam, ppcs, and most ballistics. the weapon models are there but since they have to be painstakingly hand crafted for every chassis (a visual style choice most likely, and one that makes the mechs in mwo look a lot better than the ones in mwll), it makes it difficult to add new ones or even much variety.

mwll had a more lego-type implementation you have mech geometry, an intermediate pod, which may or may not have geometry, and then unique models for every weapon. but gameplay is different in mwll since you have to run passive most of the time and locks are fleetingly rare, mwo is more about getting a scan and acting on the data, so visual identification is less important.

it might be easier now to make a more procedural mech design where it not only displays what you install and where, without hardpoint limitation. but also lets you target specific equipment, once the armor is destroyed. not to mention having physical armor maps which you can melt holes through and then be able to shoot internals by aiming at them through the holes. that would be really interesting. were starting to see games with such features.

You're actually describing what I mistakenly thought MWO was, during my first month or two of playing. I saw the visual damage artwork, and assumed the game was keeping precise track of damage over specific locations, and that it would enable you to damage a knee, or take off a high-mounted weapon, without necessarily damaging anything that's not right near that piece of equipment. Alas, I was mistaken, but I still think it'd be a cool implementation, if done correctly.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 01:31 PM

i remember there used to be pretty good damage maps, but they were strictly visual. i wonder whatever happened to those. but ive seen a few games where you can shoot through objects, and it leaves a hole that reveals the internals. theres this little space engineers ripoff called starship evo that lets you build ships and you can shoot through a target's hull and destroy internal components. i thought that kind of thing would be impressive in a mech game.

#15 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 12:56 PM

In case anyone else finds this thread by googling, Merctech mod for MW5 allows different ammo types so your LB10 can fire slugs as well as cluster shot, for example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users