15 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

I get that modern games are trying to pad their length to make that $60 purchase more palletable to a consumer, but I've been playing this game for about 9 hours now and almost all of that has been the damn filler missions in-between story missions. It seems like for every story mission the game requires you to play 6-10 random missions - which got very VERY boring for me after the 12th time. (Sadly, the story missions aren't much different than the fillers ones).

I'd love to just plow forward and go straight to the next story mission and move on, but the game literally requires you to "rank up" your merc unit before unlocking some story missions. In the rare instance there are back-to-back story missions, I have found that if I do head straight to the next story objective, I end up either going broke (because I have to make 20 jumpshup hops to get to my objective) or I get there and find I don't have enough lance tonnage because I haven't been grinding on the rando missions the entire way there.

I would like to get through this game's campaign, but with how little free time I have these days, I'm scrutinizing this game more and more with each hour I play and I'm starting to realize the brief moments of 'fun' I'm actually having are being far eclipsed by the number of hours I'm dumping into the game just to keep progressing.

Edited by Suko, 30 December 2019 - 05:20 PM.

#2 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

Mate the story line missions are exactly the same as the filler missions just with added badly scripted dialog, what is it youre looking for?. All thats going to change is your mechs will get bigger you will run into increasing numbers of enemies that are a bit bigger on same maps with same mission types.
Enjoy.

#3 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 31 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

If the normal rando missions are a crappy burger, then the story missions are the same crappy burger with ketchup and mustard. They both might be bland, but I'd prefer to spend my time on the one that is less bad.

#4 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 04:55 PM

Suppose you didn't play MWO because repeat 1 million times with different map per whatever 5 or so mission types they have.

I just don't see them going and making 100 different types of missions for anything. They make 100 mechs but not missions. Should have already been OK with that ahead of time Posted Image

#5 pzUH

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:02 PM

Play the high reward quests & multiple mission then. It more challenging & faster to rank-up.
I pretty much ignore the random normal mission at the moment. Unless I need to farm some cbills.

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:15 PM

Well... I think there will be mod soon so we will be able to change the taste of the game after a while.

#7 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

I've finally completed the campaign and i have to say that the start and grid was slow. once you reach very high rank, it gets more interesting and challenging.

I just wish the campaign missions were better spread at the beginning. grinding to rank 8 or 10 (or what was it?) before the next mission was very slow.

Edit:
I am actually searching for "time line specific events" e.g. something happening in specific time for specific missions like canon events.
And I'm missing some kind of news feed that shows lore happening

Edited by Reno Blade, 01 January 2020 - 06:23 AM.

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:31 AM

War is hell.

Particularly when PGI is coding it :)

#9 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 01 January 2020 - 06:18 AM, said:

I've finally completed the campaign and i have to say that the start and grid was slow. once you reach very high rank, it gets more interesting and challenging.

I just wish the campaign missions were better spread at the beginning. grinding to rank 8 or 10 (or what was it?) before the next mission was very slow.

Yeah, the mid grid is a little long. I did the same thing, quests and multi-drop missions, plus some travel and search breaks.

View PostReno Blade, on 01 January 2020 - 06:18 AM, said:

Edit:
I am actually searching for "time line specific events" e.g. something happening in specific time for specific missions like canon events.
And I'm missing some kind of news feed that shows lore happening

Some in time line events/contracts/quests would sure help with the immersion and story line. Also some better post main story line support. Maybe something that'll help with a tie-in to the eventual Clan invasion.

Edited by Five by Five, 02 January 2020 - 11:47 AM.

#10 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

View PostFive by Five, on 02 January 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

Some in time line events/contracts/quests would sure help with the immersion and story line. Also some better post main story line support. Maybe something that'll help with a tie-in to the eventual Clan invasion.

I find it quite frustrating that those things were in the first, original Mechwarrior (anyone remember those tidbits of news about the "Galahad Tournaments", then the outbreak of the 4th Succession war, the war of '39 and so on?) but are absent in this iteration, friggin 30 year later.

#11 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

I guessing it was a 'not enough time to do it right' thing that caused it to get left out. I can guess at some worry about how fast the player is progress compared to the BT time line progressing.

They have the quest mechanic though, I'd love to see stuff like that added in as quests.

Edited by Five by Five, 02 January 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#12 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:44 AM

Ya I agree, the gameplay with the AI and playing solo gets boring, having to micro manage the AI selecting targets and regrouping can be a pain too. I dunno I got bored with HBS Battletech pretty quickly too.

#13 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:05 AM

View PostAppogee, on 01 January 2020 - 06:31 AM, said:

War is hell.

Particularly when PGI is coding it Posted Image

Hopefully the modding tools that come will be robust enough for players to create new mission types. lets take some of that coding off them :)

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:20 AM

View PostHawk_eye, on 02 January 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

I find it quite frustrating that those things were in the first, original Mechwarrior (anyone remember those tidbits of news about the "Galahad Tournaments", then the outbreak of the 4th Succession war, the war of '39 and so on?) but are absent in this iteration, friggin 30 year later.

The original was largely filled out by FASA and the original game had the goal of converting as many people as possible into customers for its expanded universe.
This game is developed by a company whose head may have many of the source books but the picture of them in storage in his garage also shows they have never been opened, whose goal was once to recreate the feeling of a mechwarrior game and then recover from bankruptcy with the license they had acquired (2010/2011), and then to create a second means of income as "a single game can't sustain a company" which started with the attempt at Transverse in 2014but its funding project went under before it got off the ground, and that's when MW5 came back as MW5 Mercs in 2015.)

Basically...
MW1 had the goal of converting people into long term customers of the novels, the board game, any future games, etc.

MW5Mercs has the goal of "this isn't exactly the mech game we once wanted to make, but we need the revenue."

It was stated once, "We decided to start with Mercenaries because they are more open ended. The mercenaries titles have always been light on the story elements" to allow you the freedom of just being a mercenary managing your resources. Basically, easier on the developer's budget as they would need very little in the way of voice actors, story, etc. (in fact in a recent interview in which the mod tools are waiting on Epic to put through an end user agreement which Epic in fact did the next day but the tools still aren't released, Russ said that "the story (and the voice acting) came only in the last year" and he admits 'There's an especially large gap between the story missions.' that is about 6 ranks long that he regrets but there simply wasn't enough time due to other issues they were having [insufficient staff, insufficient know-how to solve some blaring issues {one of which, the spawning, still wasn't solved even at launch but by that time they were obligated to release}, and a few other things that led to PGI signing the epic exclusive deal in order to fix].) "With Mercenaries, if successful we'll have the foundation to make Mechwarrior 5." (Russ 2015/2016, paraphrased. I don't know if PGI has plans to make regular MW5 still, but they do have plans for at least two expansions with the first in approximately 6 months.).
(Edit: Fixed a spelling error that completely changes a sentence's meaning).

Edited by Koniving, 03 January 2020 - 09:48 AM.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:32 AM

View PostAsmosis, on 03 January 2020 - 03:05 AM, said:

Hopefully the modding tools that come will be robust enough for players to create new mission types. lets take some of that coding off them Posted Image

They talk about the biome creation here, and sometime later the mission generator and the ease of making custom missions types.
So it sounds easy enough.

#16 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

View PostKoniving, on 03 January 2020 - 03:20 AM, said:

This was a great explanation, thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users