20 replies to this topic

#1 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:52 PM

I've been looking all over in the market for one, and don't know of any one that has one.
starting to wonder if it's in the game

also guessing there is just one Nightstar, bought one, haven't seen another since

anyone seen more then one Nightstar (after obtaining one), or at least just once seen a Cyclops hero in the market ?

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:02 AM

They're rare and entirely RnG based. I've traveled around a lot just to check the spawn rates of some mechs. I've seen the Wolverine Quarantines spawn a lot for me whereas I still haven't seen the K9 or most of the Heavy Mech heroes. I have the Orion Protector, Quickdraw IV4 and Warhammer Black Widow but I have bought 4 Quarantines, 3 Hi There, 2 IV4, 2 Anansi, 3 Jesters.

What's annoying is that I keep seeing the same normal variants of mechs over and over instead of other types.

#3 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:38 AM

yeah, know that feeling of seeing the same mechs over and over, just about every where there is a Centurion in the market.

#4 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:29 AM

I found two, but I bought only 1. It's definitively in game.

#5 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 04:36 AM

View PostGreers, on 31 December 2019 - 02:29 AM, said:

I found two, but I bought only 1. It's definitively in game.

cool, do you recall how much ?

#6 Reality Dysfunction

• PipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 81 posts
  • Locationcockpit or bar... UK

Posted 31 December 2019 - 04:56 AM

Costs about 25Mil IIRC. I had fun with dual T5 AC20s in mine.

#7 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:02 AM

thanks,
feel better now, knowing they are out there, just I haven't found one yet, nor the players I play with

#8 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:20 AM

This is one of the better things P.G.I added to the games mix.

It's RNG based, and if it shows up and you really really want it, you'd best sell some rubbish and buy it now, or some other smuck will buy it two or three missions later.

#9 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

View PostC E Dwyer, on 31 December 2019 - 07:20 AM, said:

This is one of the better things P.G.I added to the games mix.
I would much rather the better heroes be based on faction standing than coin flips. Imagine being able to go to Steiner's home world and receiving a Boar's Head for being max rep with them, or having quests to get exclusive heroes like the Corsair (for helping the pirates) or the Roughneck (for defending backwater civilians). There's so much potential for better systems than what we have now.

Flying between the three close-knit systems in Marik space until you get all the heroes you want isn't all that clever or well-designed.

#10 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:35 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 31 December 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

I still haven't seen the K9

I have the K-9.

I also have the Hero variants of the:
Wolverine
Javelin
Awesome
Warhammer
Cicada
Spider
Black Knight
Commando
Dragon (both Fang and Flame)
Hunchback
Jenner
Orion
Rifleman

I am hoping to find a Top Dog and a Sleipnir at some point.

View PostIlfi, on 31 December 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

I would much rather the better heroes be based on faction standing than coin flips.

Yep.

However, leveraging the lore has long been beyond the limits of PGI's imagination.

Edited by Appogee, 31 December 2019 - 09:32 AM.

#11 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:56 AM

passed on a few, pretty much just after specific hero's, but have some
current list
Kintaro GB
Stalker M
Rifleman DB
Rifleman LK
Javelin HT
Raven H
Thunderbolt 5S-T

to complete what I'm after, is a second Golden Boy and the Cyclops Hero, also a second Nightstar

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 31 December 2019 - 09:57 AM.

#12 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:44 PM

I have almost all of them now (except Highlander, Black Knight and some smaller mechs) and my favorite is the Cyclops Sleipnir. Simply the best assault mech, hands down. With 2x T5 AC20s (torso mounted, who needs arms?), just like Reality Dysfunction. Nobody argues with 52 pinpoint damage to the face.
I'd really like a few more of them :)

#13 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:02 PM

finally got my Cyclops, took almost a hundred years (3124), but have it now
I also picked up a few more heros through my search for the Cyclops hero
added to the list
King Crab -KJ
Commando - TDK
Urbanmech -K9
Hunchback - GI
Catapult - J

still looking (non-Hero) for a Second NightStar
oh and a second Kintaro - GB

#14 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:24 PM

I had the Slepnir for a while but ended up selling it because it kept getting wiped out each fight. I also found and odd trend where the AI seemed to have a special hate for Gauss Rifles and I think that is why my Slepnir kept getting creamed.

It seems any mech that has Gauss Rifles mounted always gets special attention from the enemy. I noticed this first when I had a Gauss Rifle on my Highlander. Every match the enemy would shoot my right arm off or die trying, often to the point the rest of my mech was relatively untouched. I switched to a AC/20 when I ran out of replacement Gauss Rifles expecting the same issue but have only lost my right arm once since then. Thinking I must have been imagining things, I switch back to a Gauss Rifle and guess what....lost the right are twice in a row. Back to the AC/20, the issue goes away again.

As far as the availability of mechs, I am beginning to wonder if it might have something to do with the timeline. I have been looking all over hell and half acre for a Atlas K variant because I think it has the perfect hardpoint sizes and combos to be my personal goto mech for the end game an can't find it anywhere. I mean I had to have seen over a dozen D and RS variants show up but no K. Then I got to wondering and from Sarna, the K variant didn't show up until 3050. I am in 3048 now so it has got me wondering if all of a sudden the K variants will start showing up when the timeline advances to 3050.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 30 December 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

I've been looking all over in the market for one, and don't know of any one that has one.
starting to wonder if it's in the game

also guessing there is just one Nightstar, bought one, haven't seen another since

anyone seen more than one Nightstar (after obtaining one), or at least just once seen a Cyclops hero in the market ?

Had it appear 2 planets away from where it started, alongside a "rare" Commando. Naturally I couldn't afford it given it was right after the initial story missions and unlocking the co-op, and then it was gone.

I wish I could say they were location-based with some RNG, but I after going through all the weapons (and seeing changes between even the walkthrough video and the final weapons, such as the tier 5 RNG Ranger being 42 damage in the walkthrough video but only 31.2 damage in the final product, I just don't have any faith they tried to relegate where they're located.

#16 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:54 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 05 January 2020 - 12:24 PM, said:

I had the Slepnir for a while but ended up selling it because it kept getting wiped out each fight. I also found and odd trend where the AI seemed to have a special hate for Gauss Rifles and I think that is why my Slepnir kept getting creamed.

It seems any mech that has Gauss Rifles mounted always gets special attention from the enemy. I noticed this first when I had a Gauss Rifle on my Highlander. Every match the enemy would shoot my right arm off or die trying, often to the point the rest of my mech was relatively untouched. I switched to a AC/20 when I ran out of replacement Gauss Rifles expecting the same issue but have only lost my right arm once since then. Thinking I must have been imagining things, I switch back to a Gauss Rifle and guess what....lost the right are twice in a row. Back to the AC/20, the issue goes away again.

As far as the availability of mechs, I am beginning to wonder if it might have something to do with the timeline. I have been looking all over hell and half acre for a Atlas K variant because I think it has the perfect hardpoint sizes and combos to be my personal goto mech for the end game an can't find it anywhere. I mean I had to have seen over a dozen D and RS variants show up but no K. Then I got to wondering and from Sarna, the K variant didn't show up until 3050. I am in 3048 now so it has got me wondering if all of a sudden the K variants will start showing up when the timeline advances to 3050.

It might be not the Gauss itself, but the effect of it.

The much longer range means, you might draw aggro much sooner than with the AC/20 (your AI lance-mates might put down more damage in the beginning and are thus focused more by the OPFOR).
As for the AI focusing fire on the part of the mech housing the big gun, that makes a lot of sense to me. I mean, I'm focusing the hunch on a Hunchback too, am I not?

#17 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:19 AM

View PostKoniving, on 05 January 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

Had it appear 2 planets away from where it started, alongside a "rare" Commando. Naturally I couldn't afford it given it was right after the initial story missions and unlocking the co-op, and then it was gone.

I wish I could say they were location-based with some RNG, but I after going through all the weapons (and seeing changes between even the walkthrough video and the final weapons, such as the tier 5 RNG Ranger being 42 damage in the walkthrough video but only 31.2 damage in the final product, I just don't have any faith they tried to relegate where they're located.

I have seen the Nightstar more then once, in the market, since that one time I could afford it, and this was done before Patch#1, Probably coincidence, but I haven't seen a Nightstar since Patch#1

I'm sure there are other hero's I have yet to been seen by me, but those were less important , I just know that Cyclops would fit well, in my lance

#18 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

Found one up in the NE Kurita Industrial Hub.

#19 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 05 January 2020 - 12:24 PM, said:

You're probably getting too close to the enemy with the Sleipnir. It is hands down the most OP mech in MW5 Mercs, with dual gauss 3 ML. Sleipnir + 3 Altas to tank for you, frontload armor like you would in MWO (leave like 5-6 on the back though, since bad respawns behind and all). It never overheats, just fires continously as long as you have gauss ammo (I have never run out). Most things die before they get to 300m of me.

Posted Image

Edited by Vxheous, 06 January 2020 - 08:27 PM.

#20 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

I don't think you should brawl in a Sleipnir. Use it for long-ranged engagements with the Gauss. AC20s sound nice on it but you need to be careful with it. I personally don't have that mech but judging by how quickly I drop the enemy assaults, especially the Cyclopses that have AC20s and so on, I think it's safe to say that they're not brawling mechs like the Atlas or the Stalkers are. Atlas with AC20 + SRM6s or the Stalkers with 6 MLs + SRM6s are just superior brawlers, especially the Stalkers. The burst damage is just insane and it can 2-shot most mechs in the game.

I have the Banshee with 2 PPC + LBx10 solid slug + MLs + LRM 10 and a King Crab with ERPPC + 2 Gauss as vehicle hunters. What I do is target the VTOLs and Tanks and instantly tell these two mechs to kill my targets. I use the brawling mechs for missions like Warzone and Defense or use the Grasshopper 5P or the LRM30 + 2 PPC + MLs Stalker for Demo, Raid and Assassination missions. It works well. I'd love to get the Sleipnir and put dual Gauss on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users