Mw5:mercenaries Is A "top Seller"

18 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:01 AM

So guys, I just logged on to Epic games store to grab the free Darksiders 1 and Darksiders 2, and noticed that MW5 is ranked among Epic game store's top sellers.

Who would have thought?

I would very much like to see some numbers about how many copies has the game sold.

Anybody got this info?

I'm not surprised it's a top seller.

The game is good.

A bit buggy, but good.

Edited by Vellron2005, 02 January 2020 - 01:13 AM.

#2 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

I was wanting to see how many people were playing this. I know steam has the steam stats, but does Epic have something similar? There's very little activity on this forum given how MW5 is a brand jew game that recently launched and aside from a few YouTube reviews, I'm not finding many discussions about this game out there.

#3 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

Take it with a grain of salt.

There's no published figures (that I'm aware of) for Epic store sales, and the deals they sign have Epic covering XXXX amount of sales up front, so they could include the ones that Epic had already paid for.

It'd be fantastic if it was doing really well, but stores usually use the "best sellers" as a way of promoting things they WANT to sell (and aren't necessarily selling well).

The same applies to Steam store as well, although they have a bit more transperancy.

Edited by Asmosis, 02 January 2020 - 11:45 AM.

#4 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

View PostSuko, on 02 January 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

There's very little activity on this forum given how MW5 is a brand jew game that recently launched . . .

guess we should go check out discord and see if there is more activity there . . .

but yes, . . . only seeing a few of the same names posting on the sub-form.

Edited by Five by Five, 02 January 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#5 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

I'd be surprised if more than 10% of the game owners even read the forums / discord / whatever. And probably only a miniscule fragment of those actually comment.

#6 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

Yes store "most sold" stuff could be more of a promotion thing but then, isn't that exactly why PGI wanted to go to EPIC to be more promoted? Be more "in the face" of costumers while they feared that, like MWO on steam, it would vanish after a week or so.
Whatever the case may be, it worked.

As for Discord. I look into it from time to time and I see people online number from 1000-3000. Definitly much more then the forums or so it feels like.

Edited by Nesutizale, 02 January 2020 - 11:53 AM.

#7 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

View Postcszolee79, on 02 January 2020 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'd be surprised if more than 10% of the game owners even read the forums / discord / whatever. And probably only a miniscule fragment of those actually comment.

Given there's no link from the Epic store, and the MW5 forum is safely hidden away as a subfolder in a MWO sub forum, i think its safe to say 80-90% of MW5 owners DONT EVEN KNOW THERE'S A FORUM. I'm not kidding either.

The only ones who do are MWO players who regularly check the MWO forums. Even then, some of them don't know lol.

View PostNesutizale, on 02 January 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

Yes store "most sold" stuff could be more of a promotion thing but then, isn't that exactly why PGI wanted to go to EPIC to be more promoted? Be more "in the face" of costumers while they feared that, like MWO on steam, it would vanish after a week or so.

Whatever the case may be, it worked.

As for Discord. I look into it from time to time and I see people online number from 1000-3000. Definitly much more then the forums or so it feels like.

Yes, and they are getting significantly more face time than they ever would have on steam. It was the right call, easily.

Edited by Asmosis, 02 January 2020 - 11:59 AM.

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

Is that like when they claimed that Metro Exodus fared well by "selling 2x as much as Metro Last Light on first 1 month"? Because for a niche-game with buggy contents, lack-luster story, with less customizable mech, I really doubt that until we actually see solid numbers.

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 January 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

Is that like when they claimed that Metro Exodus fared well by "selling 2x as much as Metro Last Light on first 1 month"? Because for a niche-game with buggy contents, lack-luster story, with less customizable mech, I really doubt that until we actually see solid numbers.

To get into the top 10 sales its not importend if people liked what they bought. It only counts the number of times it was sold and if that number is high enough you make it into the top 10.
Or as the Ferengie like to say "Happieness is not garantied" ^_^

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 02 January 2020 - 01:01 AM, said:

So guys, I just logged on to Epic games store to grab the free Darksiders 1 and Darksiders 2, and noticed that MW5 is ranked among Epic game store's top sellers.

Who would have thought?

I would very much like to see some numbers about how many copies has the game sold.

Anybody got this info?

I'm not surprised it's a top seller.

The game is good.

A bit buggy, but good.

Hmm. This suspiciously sounds like the "Dark Patterns" used on travel and other sites.

#11 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

It is always better to get actual numbers from any site. Just saying it is a Top Seller doesn't mean much.

#12 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

View PostSuko, on 02 January 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

I was wanting to see how many people were playing this. I know steam has the steam stats, but does Epic have something similar? There's very little activity on this forum given how MW5 is a brand jew game that recently launched and aside from a few YouTube reviews, I'm not finding many discussions about this game out there.

Everyone is on discord or reddit.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:44 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 02 January 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

To get into the top 10 sales its not importend if people liked what they bought. It only counts the number of times it was sold and if that number is high enough you make it into the top 10.
Or as the Ferengie like to say "Happieness is not garantied" Posted Image

Yeah, but from a business point of view, it validates what is and isn't a winning move. Likewise, all things considering, maybe it would have sold better on steam?

As for a top-seller though, out of what? I mean if it was a 1st place, out of what, 2 contestants? What kind of half-assed contest is that?

So you are a trekkie too? So tell me, without googling, what is the first rule of acquisition?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 05 January 2020 - 03:14 AM.

#14 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 January 2020 - 12:44 AM, said:

Yeah, but from a business point of view, it validates what is and isn't a winning move. Likewise, all things considering, maybe it would have sold better on steam?

As for a top-seller though, out of what? I mean if it was a 1st place, out of what, 2 contestants? What kind of half-assed contest is that?

So you are a trekkie too? So tell me, without googling, what is the first rule of acquisition?

Sure, beeing a top seller can validate your move as a company. Personaly I think you should take more data into account but beeing in the top spot is still a positive indicator that something was done right.

As for the "if, maybe, could have, etc." better on steam....that was and is speculation. PGI looked at the data and experiance they had with MWO and steam and went with Epic. One can keep on speculating but at this point and time is pretty useless.
I did say only if the game is released on steam and has an overwhelming number of buyers, then you might be able to say steam would have been the better move but until that point is reached its all just speculations.

As for top-seller out of what. Well Epic dosn't give numbers like 1st place etc. but MW5 is part of the 5 games that are shown on the frontpage of the store beside Borderlands 3, Red Dead Redemtion 2, Jedi Knight Fallen Order and Control.
So that is the competition.

#15 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:06 AM

Well, if it's selling so well, maybe they actually have the money to finish developing the game now. Kthxbye!

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

View Postcszolee79, on 02 January 2020 - 11:49 AM, said:

Honestly, of all the games I own this is the only one's forum I frequent. So like you, I'd be surprised if more than 10% of users actually go onto the forum; also the Mw5 website doesn't have a forum so the natural assumption is there isn't a forum.

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:45 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 05 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Sure, beeing a top seller can validate your move as a company. Personaly I think you should take more data into account but beeing in the top spot is still a positive indicator that something was done right.

As for the "if, maybe, could have, etc." better on steam....that was and is speculation. PGI looked at the data and experiance they had with MWO and steam and went with Epic. One can keep on speculating but at this point and time is pretty useless.
I did say only if the game is released on steam and has an overwhelming number of buyers, then you might be able to say steam would have been the better move but until that point is reached its all just speculations.

As for top-seller out of what. Well Epic dosn't give numbers like 1st place etc. but MW5 is part of the 5 games that are shown on the frontpage of the store beside Borderlands 3, Red Dead Redemtion 2, Jedi Knight Fallen Order and Control.

Exactly. Vague claims are useless.

View PostNesutizale, on 05 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

No, that is gating, that is practically monopoly. Competition is people go to you because you are the best, monopoly is when people go to you because you are the only choice.

#18 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:12 AM

Nesitizale said:

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 07 January 2020 - 03:45 AM, said:

No, that is gating, that is practically monopoly. Competition is people go to you because you are the best, monopoly is when people go to you because you are the only choice.

You have taken this either the wrong way or missed the context.

Your question was "who is MW5 competeing with for the "Most sales".
Since you can't compare sales when its not sold anywhere else I thought it was clear that the "competition" is inside of what Epic is offering.

So I went on Epic and looked what else is there and these where the games that where/are shown alongside of MW5.

So the competition here is what sells good on the epic store. I didn't meant what is selling well across different stores nore was it meant to be a comment about monopoly vs competition. It was just strictly whats on Epic that MW5 has to compete with.

#19 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 07 January 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

You have taken this either the wrong way or missed the context.

Your question was "who is MW5 competeing with for the "Most sales".
Since you can't compare sales when its not sold anywhere else I thought it was clear that the "competition" is inside of what Epic is offering.

So I went on Epic and looked what else is there and these where the games that where/are shown alongside of MW5.

So the competition here is what sells good on the epic store. I didn't meant what is selling well across different stores nore was it meant to be a comment about monopoly vs competition. It was just strictly whats on Epic that MW5 has to compete with.

Oh, ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users