7 replies to this topic

#1 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:56 AM

So im playing on a hodge podge of hardware and i think my CPU is the bottleneck.

Ive been tweaking various settings in scalability and engine.ini but no matter what settings i make the game runs fine in the dropship and running around the map with your lancemates. But as soon as the enemy turns up and the shooting starts the FPS tanks. Can go from a steady 63 to mid 20's and depending on what graphics level i've seen as low as the teens!

So ive made a few tweaks with LOD and shadows but what's really killing it i think is the particle effects. When i brush an enemy with a laser i can see the sprites or sparks fall off in a pathetic slow waterfall of large but very low resolution/poly square dots.

Is there a way that anyone knows of that i can tone particle effects like the sparks right down and or scale down some of the blinding explosions that you can see.

Something along the lines of:

r.DetailMode 1
r.ParticlesLOD=3
r.ParticleDistanceScale=??
FX.MaxCPUParticlesPerEmitter

On a slight tangent. When i set my PhysX to auto or GPU (gtx 1060 3gb) the overlay always shows CPU utilisation in game despite Nvidia control panel showing the GPU is chosen. Does this game not allow GPU PhysX?

Edited by mad kat, 02 January 2020 - 11:27 AM.

#2 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

This game runs awful on my system too. Even after upgrading to a modem video card, I'm getting around 20 fps during most firefights with medium to high settings. According to my system monitor, my GPU is the only thing maxed out while I game (dispite it being a modern graphics card).

This game is poorly optimized. That's all there is to it. If you're not running a high end gaming rig, then this game won't run well. Even though it looks like something that came out in 2012. I do hope you find a way to improve your performance. I think I will be knocking all my settings down to medium or low so I can play this game without suffering massive fps drops in combat.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

Sadly I don't know any tweaks but lower the setting but I can tell you that the 1060 you have isn't a very highend card. Should be around the same performance as my older 970.
Depending on the resolution you use you should still get okay performance.

As for Nvidia driver settings, better turn them off or to "application". From my experiance forceing something through Nvidias drivers can cause low FPS or even problems. I only tweak things via Nvidia when its neccessary like for old games that don't even have AA settings.

Else here are the settings I use
Resolution scale 100 (you can go to 90 but I find the image gets to blurred for my taste)
View distance: Far
Effects quality: Medium
Shadow: Medium (everything lower and its like they are completly off sometimes)
Textures: High
Foliage: Low (who needs these damn trees anyway ^_^ but seriously, they take to much power when there is a large forest)
Post pro: Medium (with shadows the biggest performance hitter)
AA: Low (would turn it off if possible. In the heat of battle I won't even notice if AA is on or not)
Ani iso: 16x. (Dosn't hit performance much but it seams textures are more detailed)
Sharpening: Off. (To me thing often look worse if on and it eats performance)

Mind you that I run a GTX970 on a 3400x1440 resolution but the card was made for 1920x1080 resolutions. That the game runs even halfway okay is impressive to me.
Setting the game to 1920x1080 I could set most things to high and still have a good performance.

Oh and don't zoom in !
Performance tanks for me if I zoom in. As soon as I zoom out it runs much, much better. I heard a other people have that problem too.

#4 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 02 January 2020 - 12:08 PM, said:

Sadly I don't know any tweaks but lower the setting but I can tell you that the 1060 you have isn't a very highend card. Should be around the same performance as my older 970.
Depending on the resolution you use you should still get okay performance.

As for Nvidia driver settings, better turn them off or to "application". From my experiance forceing something through Nvidias drivers can cause low FPS or even problems. I only tweak things via Nvidia when its neccessary like for old games that don't even have AA settings.

Else here are the settings I use
Resolution scale 100 (you can go to 90 but I find the image gets to blurred for my taste)
View distance: Far
Effects quality: Medium
Shadow: Medium (everything lower and its like they are completly off sometimes)
Textures: High
Foliage: Low (who needs these damn trees anyway ^_^ but seriously, they take to much power when there is a large forest)
Post pro: Medium (with shadows the biggest performance hitter)
AA: Low (would turn it off if possible. In the heat of battle I won't even notice if AA is on or not)
Ani iso: 16x. (Dosn't hit performance much but it seams textures are more detailed)
Sharpening: Off. (To me thing often look worse if on and it eats performance)

Mind you that I run a GTX970 on a 3400x1440 resolution but the card was made for 1920x1080 resolutions. That the game runs even halfway okay is impressive to me.
Setting the game to 1920x1080 I could set most things to high and still have a good performance.

Oh and don't zoom in !
Performance tanks for me if I zoom in. As soon as I zoom out it runs much, much better. I heard a other people have that problem too.

Yep I've seen a lot of complaints about the zoom problem but i don't seem to notice it. Either that or the stutter gets so bad i can't tell if it's due to the zoom.

There is definitely something weird going on though as the game is capable of running respectable FPS (not great though) but even after more fiddling tonight it still gets laggy and stuttering when the plague of locusts and cicadas dance around you. (Beginning to wonder if it's a joke by pgi now).

I should come clean however and say I'm fully aware that an i3-4130 is not exactly a CPU that should be used for games. When i see better one in the local entertainment exchange I'll consider an upgrade.

Playing with the particle count or detail however does seem to of done something.

Edited by mad kat, 02 January 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#5 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

For performance, you should't be setting Textures to: High if you don't have at least a 4 gig, preferably an 8 gig video card.

#6 Cowbold

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 03:49 AM

All i can say is that unreal engine is crap :D

I run :
RX480 8GB
Intel 9990k @ 5GHz
8Gb RAM @ 3000MHz
M.2 SSD

and it still runs like crap even on all LOW settings.

I found a thread where you can edit the engine.ini, It didn´t get me much performance but the image is way clearer now. Because the montionblur ******** was still on even after unchecking it in the options menu.

That said you should try to manage everything you can in the config files or runparameters. I don´t know Unreal Engine well enough to give tips tho. But disabling crippling stuff like blur and montion sickness crap is the thing to go.

The other thing to mention is that I use XenoPAX optimize mod wich by now might be outdated and i dont know if it really does what it should.

And some other mods wich ramp up the total AI on the battlefield. so the more there is the slower my game runs. might be hard hitting in this game. And its me saying that with the 9990k @5gHz go figure.

#7 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 04:36 AM

I made a testrun on my sys:
Win11
Ryzen 3600 stock
Sapphire RX480 8GB Nitro+
2x 16GB DDR4 3600 CL18 Dual Rank
Corsair MP600 1TB M2 SSD as System Drive
Samsung EVO 870 2TB Sata SSD for Storage/Games

MW5 in 1920x1080
Fullscreen
Vsync on
smooth FPS enabled
everything Medium except Texture at Max + FXAA

Merctech, Piratech, vonBiomes, Coyote Missions, HBF, etc modded.

The game uses in a quick play map without any trees (was a rocky map) 4,1 GB VRAM and 8,4GB RAM and i had around 51 FPS, all smooth no stutter no lag.
(I have 40/60 Chill enabled in the Radeon Driver bcs my Monitor starts Freesyncing at 40Hz and i dont need more than 60Hz especially as energy is going very expensive very soon, inflation in germany is beyond comprehension, some things are already at 70% plus).

It seems with 8GB System-RAM and 3GB VRAM you will fall beneath what the game will use and that means your PC starts to swap things to the disks and that will extremely hamper your performance.

You can reduce Textures bcs Textures claim much memory usually and probably disable many mods as mods usually drive RAM usage way up.

And be prepared to upgrade your PC ayntime soon if you want play new game releases, it will be 16GB System RAM and 8GB VRAM minimum in the future!

Best of luck!

Edited by Thorqemada, 17 April 2022 - 02:01 AM.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:05 PM

just turn them off. all they do is lower performance and block your aim.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users