228 replies to this topic

#141 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:16 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 21 January 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

I know to listen to Ash and the other top tier players but, why is 5 MPLasers the best possible in every way build for a Wolfhound? On Polar Highlands I dont want to get that close to a good team near the center of the map where there is no cover. I've tried to run behind them, throw out a UAV, MPulse a few in the back....and then I'm dead. Id rather get behind and snipe them in the back with a PPC while Im behind a rock at a distance to harass them instead. Now Solaris City, 5 MPLaser works and gives me the highest alpha and makes sense. I want to say most of the time when Im playing the Wolfhound we are in big open maps which is why I am wanting a longer ranged weapon. Thats just been my experience so far.

I'm playing Wolfhound WLF 2R with 6 er sml lasers, las AMS and light engine (132 km/h) [wanted to put screenshot but this pop-up ("You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community". Tried JPG and GIF] and have plenty of fun with it. Good speed, decent armor, and short range which is forcing me to be near the action. This my answer for my "beloved" Piranha. I call it anti-Piranha mech. The only problem is a laser AMS. When there is many missiles it may get you hot. But the trade is you don't need any ammo. Mobility tree is always the last one I put points in. Mostly I don't put any points there. Speed tweaks are so far away Posted Image IMO mobility is something you can compensate with the way you move, feel and steer your mech. You can go full moblity tree but that won't help you if you can't steer your mech right.

Edited by Bistrorider, 27 January 2020 - 05:18 AM.

#142 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 27 January 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

I'm playing Wolfhound WLF 2R with 6 er sml lasers, las AMS and light engine (132 km/h) [wanted to put screenshot but this pop-up ("You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community". Tried JPG and GIF] and have plenty of fun with it. Good speed, decent armor, and short range which is forcing me to be near the action. This my answer for my "beloved" Piranha. I call it anti-Piranha mech. The only problem is a laser AMS. When there is many missiles it may get you hot. But the trade is you don't need any ammo. Mobility tree is always the last one I put points in. Mostly I don't put any points there. Speed tweaks are so far away Posted Image IMO mobility is something you can compensate with the way you move, feel and steer your mech. You can go full moblity tree but that won't help you if you can't steer your mech right.

You can run a wolfhound with 2 regular ams and 5mls or ermls. I'd avoid laser ams entirely, and it seems like 6ersml would be pretty anemic compared to other wolfhound builds. But if you're having fun go for it.

#143 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

View PostBistrorider, on 27 January 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

As Others will say.....”do what you want”......but that LFE is gimping your build. Those ersml’s are basically as hot as ML’s with less range and firepower. If you lose a ST you won’t really live long with the cut in speed and the reduced Heat management will mean your “last gasp” damage output will be very limited. I know it seems smart to increase your survival ability, but it isn’t worth it in this case. Plus 5 mpls is really the “anti-piranha” wolfhound build anyway. But again....do as you wish....

#144 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:00 PM

View PostHorseman, on 26 January 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

Mobility tree is only worth it if you're a light or fast medium, and then only really for the Speed Tweak.

Anchor turn is actually really useful/important for fast lights. Being able to turn faster lets you evade better, get behind cover faster, and stay behind mechs more easily. Don't underestimate its usefulness. Kinetic burst/hard brake can be useful when you're actively maneuvering, but anchor turn is the most important.

#145 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:03 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 27 January 2020 - 12:21 PM, said:

As Others will say.....”do what you want”......but that LFE is gimping your build. Those ersml’s are basically as hot as ML’s with less range and firepower. If you lose a ST you won’t really live long with the cut in speed and the reduced Heat management will mean your “last gasp” damage output will be very limited. I know it seems smart to increase your survival ability, but it isn’t worth it in this case. Plus 5 mpls is really the “anti-piranha” wolfhound build anyway. But again....do as you wish....

True, 5 mpls do better damage, and with their cooldown you can do some good hacksaw but it's also a hot build, maybe a little hotter than sml lasers. I've got like steady pinpoint for most of the time. And I have to get close which sometimes is very bad for a player like me, but also it's very challenging. And also, as for the lights, WLF is more forgiving mech than flea or piranha.

#146 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

View PostCrazycajun, on 26 January 2020 - 07:12 PM, said:

Been away from game for years...primarly because of team/sync drops against pugs.... finally come back to try the game and what the first game ? a clan drop/sync drop against my team of pugs...

nope.. /eject...

i had hoped that maybe the excuse for devs of this game had gotten round to neutering that. guess not

what?

So if a bunch of people are in the same unit and drop at the same time - totally unknowingly - that's enough to make you quit a game?

lol.. K dude.

#147 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 January 2020 - 02:23 PM, said:

- totally unknowingly -

That's a stretch, just saying.

#148 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:53 PM

Even intentionally really how often does it happen in quick play? Not very often from what I see anyways.

#149 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

View PostRed Potato Standing By, on 27 January 2020 - 02:53 PM, said:

Even intentionally really how often does it happen in quick play? Not very often from what I see anyways.

I tend to see it about once a week.

If it's just a couple of players I let it slide (although I do take company command and put them in separate lances (you'd be surprised how many complain about that)). If they stack and we lose I'll blame it on them just for the giggles.

When it's +5-6 players it's more than suspicious. Especially when they're all piloting the same mech.

Edit:

Either way, it's not enough to rage quit over.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 27 January 2020 - 03:41 PM.

#150 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 27 January 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

I tend to see it about once a week.

If it's just a couple of players I let it slide (although I do take company command and put them in separate lances (you'd be surprised how many complain about that)). If they stack and we lose I'll blame it on them just for the giggles.

When it's +5-6 players it's more than suspicious. Especially when they're all piloting the same mech.

Edit:

Either way, it's not enough to rage quit over.

Pretty sure the only thing putting people in new lance's in QP accomplishes is making it harder to automatically get credited for "Lance in formation". I am 99% sure changing Lance's only changed spawns in FW and lobbies, mechs are already spawned in when the countdown starts in QP.

#151 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

View PostBrauer, on 27 January 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

Pretty sure the only thing putting people in new lance's in QP accomplishes is making it harder to automatically get credited for "Lance in formation". I am 99% sure changing Lance's only changed spawns in FW and lobbies, mechs are already spawned in when the countdown starts in QP.

Yep does nothing in QP.

Just makes it a PIA if you've just dropped and then people are 700m from each other to get some potential early achievements/cbills on smaller maps.

But when you have an anti-team mentality in a 12 player, team based game - you behave in such a petty manner.

#152 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 January 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

Yep does nothing in QP.

Just makes it a PIA if you've just dropped and then people are 700m from each other to get some potential early achievements/cbills on smaller maps.

But when you have an anti-team mentality in a 12 player, team based game - you behave in such a petty manner.

You think it's petty separating the syncs, I think it's pathetic syncing in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, if I take company command I own it. I'll be constantly placing and updating move/hold markers, assigning protection to the assaults and designating positions to attack.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 27 January 2020 - 04:27 PM.

#153 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 27 January 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

You think it's petty separating the syncs, I think it's pathetic syncing in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, if I take company command I own it. I'll be constantly placing and updating move/hold markers, assigning protection to the assaults and designating positions to attack.

Playing with friends is pretty? Wow. Sync drops don't even give an advantage fyi, you get placed on opposite teams plenty.

FYI a mic is a much more effective way to make calls. Move markers etc are mostly a waste of time.

#154 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 27 January 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

pls don't take this as an attack, but:
quite frankly, you'd better put the time into moving&shooting more than to paint things onto a map your 11 "teammates" are gonna ignore anyway.
if you want to coordinate - great. FP is for that. and bring a mic ;)

#155 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

sYnC dRoPpInG iS cHeAtInG

#156 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:31 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 27 January 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Our pilot skill rating going down for a stomp(in QP) is starting to annoy me. ............*shrugs* I just don't like being penalized for that.

Not to sound like an a** but it's exactly that kind of logic where really, really terrible players are matched against the top 100 on a regular basis. You can blame the MM all you like but have a look at your own reasoning here.

#157 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 27 January 2020 - 05:57 PM, said:

sYnC dRoPpInG iS cHeAtInG
Or a standard method of hosting streams.

Quite a few streamers DO sync dropping... Quite a few streamers are in units. Quite a few streamer's units will watch the streams and participate in sync drops, along with all the other non-unit members who are watching the streamer.

It's not cheating. It's just that television is so bad, we're watching and playing this game for interactive entertainment.

So don't blame the sync droppers, blame the television industry.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 27 January 2020 - 09:07 PM.

#158 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 27 January 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

Or a standard method of hosting streams.

Quite a few streamers DO sync dropping... Quite a few streamers are in units. Quite a few streamer's units will watch the streams and participate in sync drops, along with all the other non-unit members who are watching the streamer.

It's not cheating. It's just that television is so bad, we're watching and playing this game for interactive entertainment.

So don't blame the sync droppers, blame the television industry.

I think you meant to direct this at von Bruinwald. I don't really know Magpi, but I can't imagine that post was meant seriously.

#159 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostBrauer, on 27 January 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

I think you meant to direct this at von Bruinwald. I don't really know Magpi, but I can't imagine that post was meant seriously.
Maybe he was... Though I've seen a LOT of people who appear to be very antagonistic to streamers, stated reason being the sync dropping, stream sniping, etc.

#160 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:01 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 27 January 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

Not the MM but, the penalty. *shrugs* I know we're in maintenance mode so who cares I guess.

The penalty is really small. There's always an upward thrust for players so that they can move up the tiers. You carry the team to victory, you get a boost. Your team gets stomped but if you do 500 damage, your rating doesn't dip much, if at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users