298 replies to this topic

#41 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

Yeah my WLF-2 is becoming the money maker and have I think 70/91 skip points in it so far and i seem to always do well with it when scout/flanking/hit and runs.

My "Sparky" Griffin though....Im starting to hate that mech. 5/8 movement (standard engine), full armor, 5 jump jets, 5 med-pulse and 1 lrg-pulse and I just never win with the thing. Its not fast enough to scout, find the enemy, and disengage without getting hurt badly. Not really fast enough to flank, only 40 damage alpha strike (can do 2.5 before overheat), I try to roll with the heavies or assaults because I planned for it to be a brawler but, it doesnt do that well. Idk what to do with it, throwing a 330xl in it is awful expensive but, maybe that would finally make it good at something.

And on a side note the costs to change 1/3 of your paint on a mech is ridiculous IMO. 1.25M or 500-1000 MCs to not unlock but just change 1/3 of your paint scheme even when each 3rd is the same color seems like a real ripoff to me. Cost is too high for the limited one-time use value we get from changing our color. If this was Path of Exile and that was just how players could support the developers and nothing gave you any advantage over anyone else then it would be fine but, I can see how MWO can be slightly pay-to-win at least win faster so, this was a real "wow" to me when I looked into how to change my mech's paint.

Edited by BLOODWOLF333, 08 January 2020 - 05:33 PM.

#42 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,500 posts
  • Location2 Time World Champion

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

Its 75mc for a single shot camo, and then you can change the colors to that pattern to your hearts content

#43 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • 7,606 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

Thats cause the build isn't that good on the sparky, not is having 5JJ really useful.

The Griffin simply isn't a brawl mech in terms of it cannot tank/take too much damage. Especially the sparky as it is all arm mounted and generally needs to be XL to be any good.

If you wanna run that build, change to this SPARKY - 2LPL/MPL

Or something that might be a bit harder to use, but still decent. Will take some skill to make it effective however SPARKY - HPPC

Dont bother unlocked paint or anything extra for MC, it is a waste / sink to get you to purchase stuff. Over time you will get free colour via events etc.

#44 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 964 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

PGI sometimes gives away colours/patterns during events, and you'll see them on sale from time to time. I wouldn't worry about colours/patterns right now and if you play long enough you'll soon earn more than enough cb/mc to decorate your mechs.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#45 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

View PostVxheous, on 08 January 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

Its 75mc for a single shot camo, and then you can change the colors to that pattern to your hearts content

Oh, they should put that in the tooltip then or I would have never known.

#46 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 January 2020 - 07:29 PM, said:

Thats cause the build isn't that good on the sparky, not is having 5JJ really useful.

The Griffin simply isn't a brawl mech in terms of it cannot tank/take too much damage. Especially the sparky as it is all arm mounted and generally needs to be XL to be any good.

If you wanna run that build, change to this SPARKY - 2LPL/MPL

Or something that might be a bit harder to use, but still decent. Will take some skill to make it effective however SPARKY - HPPC

Dont bother unlocked paint or anything extra for MC, it is a waste / sink to get you to purchase stuff. Over time you will get free colour via events etc.

That x2 LPLaser Sparky is almost what I have built but, I get excited sometimes in a fight and forget to turn my MPLasers to chainfire and shut myself down a little bit too often which screws me. What is the logic behind everyone saying you only need two jump jets? Is jump-MP it calculated different in MWO? Every other game 1 JJ = 30 meters of jumping distance. I did notice its more like 10 meters already but, why only two and not close to a mech's walking MP?

#47 justcallme A S H

• CS 2019 Referee
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • 7,606 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 08 January 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

That x2 LPLaser Sparky is almost what I have built but, I get excited sometimes in a fight and forget to turn my MPLasers to chainfire and shut myself down a little bit too often which screws me.

Never chainfire. It's a bad, bad habit.

If you do not have the heat to drop a full alpha - stay in cover. This means you are dealing maximum damage for exposure time. Standing in the open chainfiring lasers means you're doing minimal damage for maximum incoming damage - quite literally the opposite of how to play the game.

So you stop doing it early or you'll forever be in a super sheet habit.

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 08 January 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

What is the logic behind everyone saying you only need two jump jets? Is jump-MP it calculated different in MWO? Every other game 1 JJ = 30 meters of jumping distance. I did notice its more like 10 meters already but, why only two and not close to a mech's walking MP?

Because they are diminishing returns and you should never really be in a situation where you need to full burn 5JJs on a Med.

1JJ is far better than 2JJ. 5JJ is just a waste of 1.5T for a IS Med. At the max you need 3. I have no more than 3 on any mech that I can control, omni clan mechs obviously have locked JJs on some.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 08 January 2020 - 08:47 PM.

#48 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:49 PM

You could drop the MPLs and go with ERMLs to get the range synergy, stuff in more DHS and one more JJ at the cost of 4 damage from the alpha strike. But you do get better cooling. Mind you, this isn't a brawler. If you want to brawl, stay with 1 LPL and 5 MPL or all MPL. But again, the problem with the Sparky is that your weapons are mainly in the arms and you can't shield since you'll lose your arms and your damage.

Good brawling comes from SRMs, MRMs or just fast burning lasers like the MPLs. If you're putting in large version of the lasers, consider being ahead of the NASCAR and shooting enemies when your teammates shoot. Don't shoot the reds alone. 88KPH is decently fast and 3 JJs allows you to relocate quickly or leap over big obstacles. But do not brawl as you can't keep the heat down to take out mechs.

LPLs can be fired together until your ERMLs are ready to fire again and you can alpha a couple more times before needing to conserve again. This will help you keep firing often instead of needing to chainfire. Chainfiring is just bad. Don't do it. Set your weapon groups in a way where you can fire some weapons to be heat neutral and then alpha strike again when it allows for it.

#49 justcallme A S H

• CS 2019 Referee
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • 7,606 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

ERML burn duration too long for a Griffin and how it needs to be played. I would stay away from that personally.

Or just run SPARKY - 3LPL. Alpha is lower overall but you gain a little range and good DPS/cooling. You can fire a LOT with that.

#50 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:41 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 January 2020 - 09:01 PM, said:

ERML burn duration too long for a Griffin and how it needs to be played. I would stay away from that personally.

Yep, but I was just suggesting it to get some range synergy while alpha striking from within your teammates or from the flanks whilst not being the focus of enemy fire. 40 damage from ~350m is pretty good as a means to amplify the damage of your teammates. I'd personally use the Ares instead to rack up more damage in a brawl.

#51 Horseman

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:18 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 08 January 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

And on a side note the costs to change 1/3 of your paint on a mech is ridiculous IMO. 1.25M or 500-1000 MCs to not unlock but just change 1/3 of your paint scheme even when each 3rd is the same color seems like a real ripoff to me. Cost is too high for the limited one-time use value we get from changing our color. If this was Path of Exile and that was just how players could support the developers and nothing gave you any advantage over anyone else then it would be fine but, I can see how MWO can be slightly pay-to-win at least win faster so, this was a real "wow" to me when I looked into how to change my mech's paint.

Purchasing colors (not patterns) is a permanent unlock.
Purchasing unlock patterns is permanent for the given chassis - if someone owns several, they can then switch back and forth at no further cost.
Purchased one-shot patterns can be recolored for no extra cost (unless you need to pay for the color itself)
There are typically several events that award colors and / or patterns each year.

#52 n00biwan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK...

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:06 AM

I bought at least one full camo unlock before I realised what I should be doing.

To bring back an earlier question, I've dabbled in lots of MMOs and grind is the most offputting thing in most of them. MWO isn't so bad. Right out of the gate you can buy the best, most meta FOTM mech and start learning/developing it. Takes months to grind through stuff like WoT/WS, war thunder, warframe, Eve or whatever to get to the top gear and/or be as effective as top level players. In MWO you can buy a top tier mech, fit it well and be (technically) as capable on the battlefield as literally anyone else. The premium vehicles offer few advangtages (other than a few outliers that due to stuff like weapon developments have ended up super effective, like the IV4). There's no combat benefits to premium time or ways to spend cash to do anything other than skip grind or make your mech worthy of a "Who painted that thing?" with cosmetics, which is nice, even MC airstirkes/arty were normalised yonks ago.

I don't use consumables very much on my alt account (got about 20 mechs, all bought with CBills or free from events) as the cbill sink is real, but maybe don't not equip them; use sparingly, with judgement.

Also, the best advice can be got in real time, find some TS/discords to hang out on or check out some MWO streamers, many run groups in FP that (almost)anyone can join and nearly all are helpful. :)

#53 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

View Postn00biwan, on 09 January 2020 - 05:06 AM, said:

I bought at least one full camo unlock before I realised what I should be doing.

To bring back an earlier question, I've dabbled in lots of MMOs and grind is the most offputting thing in most of them. MWO isn't so bad. Right out of the gate you can buy the best, most meta FOTM mech and start learning/developing it. Takes months to grind through stuff like WoT/WS, war thunder, warframe, Eve or whatever to get to the top gear and/or be as effective as top level players. In MWO you can buy a top tier mech, fit it well and be (technically) as capable on the battlefield as literally anyone else. The premium vehicles offer few advangtages (other than a few outliers that due to stuff like weapon developments have ended up super effective, like the IV4). There's no combat benefits to premium time or ways to spend cash to do anything other than skip grind or make your mech worthy of a "Who painted that thing?" with cosmetics, which is nice, even MC airstirkes/arty were normalised yonks ago.

I don't use consumables very much on my alt account (got about 20 mechs, all bought with CBills or free from events) as the cbill sink is real, but maybe don't not equip them; use sparingly, with judgement.

Also, the best advice can be got in real time, find some TS/discords to hang out on or check out some MWO streamers, many run groups in FP that (almost)anyone can join and nearly all are helpful. Posted Image

Yeah sometimes I do wish I was playing with a group that was all on the same team and everyone knew their role instead of some of the special little flower uncoordinated things I see in games. Playing tabletop/megamek really teaches you the roles and what a scout lance should be doing, fire support, and then your assault/battle lance. But, if everyone is fire support or everyone is assault(faction play) we lose a lot.

Like Solaris my impression is build the most heavily armored and armed mech, doesnt need jump jets, doesnt need to be fast, don't really need any special equipment just make a bruiser and duke it out. Yeah I've seen fast light jumpers take out the heavies in a division but, if the heavy player is able to manipulate the map selection and get a claustrophobic map where the light's movement advantage is lessened they will stand a better chance. But, I lose a lot in Solaris with not having a mech in every division and all those losses were hurting my Tier so, I quit Solaris.

Faction Play I always chose the side with the least population, usually clan, and since I don't have any clans mechs yet im using trials and don't feel like Im doing very well and not much help so, I dont want to piss those people off anymore and will just wait till I'm doing a lot better and have a clan mech of each weight class. But, everyone will pick assault first for the initial push and I guess I see the logic of that but, the gate create a bottlenecked killzone and everyone is blocking everyone else's shot and usually aren't more than 3-4 abreast so the enemy only has to deal with 3-4 mechs at a time. And then the front starts getting chewed up and they begin to back pedal while other players are, "keeping pushing!" and then things just fall apart. That one Siege map on Caustic Valley omg the terrain after the gates were just terrible and we lost pretty good (Nova Cat vs DC).

So what is the strategy for FP Seige missions? If this was megamek I'd have the assault lance go in line-abreast, with Barvo lance (med-heavies) as fire support behind the assaults, maybe have the assaults stagger so that FS can actually get some shots in, and then Alpha lance (fast lights) behind fire support and once we are in the gates they can take off and start flanking and stabbing the enemy in the back. But, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy and I dont know if you could get players to pick the right mechs and coordinate. They also don't want you bringing in LRM boats to FP but how else will you take out the gate generators without LRMs?

And then Quick Play is hit or miss. I see a lot of timid assault mech players who's job/role is to push and be the anvil that the team can hammer the enemy onto but, they'd rather hide behind rocks and stall the teams forward momentum...and then we die. Idk if they brought fire support variants (which is the med-heavies role IMO in quick play) or what but, we can't really get a front line of assaults to form up to save our lives in QP lol. Would also be nice to see on the map where the other lances landed (like alpha, bravo, charlie) so, that I know which direction to go if I should be rolling with the assaults backing them up.

Im not really used to reading the map yet either, wish it could be zoomed out so, it takes me a little bit to expand it and then try to guess what grid I seen that mech in if it was too far away for a target lock, and then come up with a rough estimate of the grid and "hey I seen a dude over in this grid....dont remember what mech it was or couldnt tell" yeah thats useful :\. But, Im learning.

View PostHorseman, on 09 January 2020 - 03:18 AM, said:

Purchasing colors (not patterns) is a permanent unlock.
Purchasing unlock patterns is permanent for the given chassis - if someone owns several, they can then switch back and forth at no further cost.
Purchased one-shot patterns can be recolored for no extra cost (unless you need to pay for the color itself)
There are typically several events that award colors and / or patterns each year.

Ok, cause when I was checking it out the UI is telling me 1000 MC (if a bright color and this was the same color for each section) for each 3rd of my paint scheme so, I didnt even want to try it.

#54 justcallme A S H

• CS 2019 Referee
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • 7,606 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

Until you have 8 fully skilled mechs / 2 decks.

1 x Long Range
1 x Midrange

You should not be playing in Faction Play. Bringing stock mechs as a new player is just ruining the experience for everyone.

#55 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 January 2020 - 02:44 PM, said:

Until you have 8 fully skilled mechs / 2 decks.

1 x Long Range
1 x Midrange

You should not be playing in Faction Play. Bringing stock mechs as a new player is just ruining the experience for everyone.

Yeah that's what I have been reading on the forums too so, i'll stick with quick play for now. I think Solaris and FP should be gamemodes that unlock once you have progressed to certain points but, I also have read some posts that the Tier system is broken/just an XP bar and not an ideal method to judge pilots off of either.

#56 TheCaptainJZ

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,673 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

Since I didn't see anyone mention it yet.
You can save some money early on by moving engines from one mech to another, as long as it supports that engine. Useful for expensive XLs if you have another mech it works with.
Obviously, you'll want to ensure you have complete mechs ready to go soon.
And, if you leave a match early, that mech is still locked so you can't swap between two mechs and one engine that way. You'd have to play something else that's ready.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 09 January 2020 - 03:25 PM.

#57 BLOODWOLF333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

When would a BAP be more useful than a laser AMS on a mech? And these targeting computers....I dont see myself ever taking one over more heatsinks or armor if it isnt already maxed.

Edited by BLOODWOLF333, 09 January 2020 - 06:13 PM.

#58 justcallme A S H

• CS 2019 Referee
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • 7,606 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

BAP - mostly useless.

L-AMS - is also mostly useless save for a select few Clan mechs that can actually run it without being overly penalised.

Targeting Comps - Amazing. A TC1, at the cost of 1T - if you have 1T spare... Is a great use of the spare tonnage. Don't take a TC however if you can fit another heatsink for instance, that's more important. TC helps speed up the 'paperdoll' appearing, so you can see where to shoot a mech if it is weak plus a bunch of other bonuses... Probably not so much important when starting out - becomes more useful once you master everything. Again DHS or armour probabaly better uses early on.

#59 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

If you have a Laser AMS system on a mech, I'd suggest replacing it with a standard ams and a tonne of ams ammo. You can always switch off the ams system to avoid wasting ammo if need be, but usually one tonne is enough to close and wreck face. And it doesn't use up precious precious heat.

Seriously, everyone on the field is constrained by, and fighting the heat mechanics. Don't make it harder on yourself than you need to.

As for BAP, it's mostly a brawling tool to shut down ECM so I could get friendly fire support, but I only added it onto mechs back in the day when ECM had greater coverage. Right now, as you're learning, I'd suggest working on the basics, making your own mech better, before you start thinking about your team. I mean, yeah, it does the added sensor range, but that's more a Command and Control thing.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 09 January 2020 - 06:45 PM.

#60 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

Targeting Computers Lv1 and Lv2, especially for the IS mechs are pretty useful. I say IS mechs especially 'cause their DHS takes 3 slots unlike 2 for the C-DHS. Hence, you can't fit IS DHS in CT and Legs but you can fit in a Lv2 TC in there, provided you have the spare tonnage and slots.

If you are building a long-ranged ERLL mech for FW, you can use TC 5 and above for the range boost. You can stack projectile speed for PPCs with TC as well.

Regarding LAMS, you need a DHS or two neutralize the amount of heat a single one produces when destroying missiles. So, they're very build-oriented and shouldn't be used in laser-vomit builds. It's just too much heat for shooting down missiles when there's a better alternate, the regular AMS, which does the same thing at 1.5t (0.5 for the AMS and 1t for ammo) and 2 slots and doesn't produce any heat.

That said, I wouldn't bring AMS on mechs that have provision for only 1. Bring AMS on mechs that have 2 or more. The more AMS you bring the better but again, it is map dependent and even that can be situational. There are freak moments where even on Polar, the enemy team won't have that many missiles. Bring around 0.75t of ammo per AMS. It's enough for most matches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users