Tactics Anyone? Ecm, Passive Sensors, Etc.

19 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:34 AM

I find my tactical options limited at the moment. True I don't have a Raven or ECM mech, but Passive Sensors are always an option for sneaking around a bit.

I would also like to tell my lance to defend me and they stay close by and moving, instead of chasing.

Repair bays.

Better Mechlab options. Like I can change one hardpoint over 30 days or something. Expensive, sure. I don't like all the small weapon sized hardpoints, it's just too much. Hardpoints are not in BattleTech so they should not be racheted down on every mech you get. Hardpoints are really just to prevent mechs from being "gun-bags" or "laser-bags".

All the above would make MW5 much more tactically rich. Right now all you have is kiting to you or running in.

#2 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

There are so many ideas done in previous MW games that could've been implemented into MW5. But all you're going to get is enemies who magically spawn directly behind you and come in endless waves, making your tactical strategy absolutely worthless. There's barely anything to this game except shoot the everything until it explodes.

#3 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

I have found that using terrain like draws and large hills is working great especially in the 70-80+ missions. Once I (meaning my character's mech) gets within 900 meters of a target area the spawns trigger and the tanks and helos start to come in streams and dribbles.
I have my lance set to hold WP at the mouth of a draw or behind a large hill and then pick off the 1st waves of tanks/helos. If the enemy mechs have not triggered, then I will move close enough to sensor lock them and then retreat back to my lance for the ambush.
Lights enter the killbox first, make lance focus fire on each light unless meds/heavies happen to get in there also. If so, them make lance focus one med/heavy while I clean up tanks/lights then assist in the kills.

If the map is fairly open and not much cover or choke points then I equip my 3 lance mates with cheesy LRM boats (usually Stalkers/Archers) and I run the brawling Atlas (DC preferred, 2 SRMS, 4 ML AC/30).

I usually stick to Assassinate/Raids/Warzones..avoid Demo and roll in the loot with minimal damage 90% of the time.

#4 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

I took my Trebuchet and bombed the base I had to completely destroy while my lancemates mopped up the stragglers from the base. It worked as planned so I guess that's something.

Anyone know how to use the "Go to location" Lancemate command? I don't see how to select a location.

#5 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 07 January 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

Anyone know how to use the "Go to location" Lancemate command? I don't see how to select a location.

They go to the point of terrain under your reticle when you issue the command.

#6 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

View PostFive by Five, on 07 January 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

They go to the point of terrain under your reticle when you issue the command.

Very useful command. I only realised this us how it works when I was a few hours into the game. It's great for setting up firing lines.

#7 Carmaga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

Not sure how it works with you guys, but on my side of the screen rushing towards the closest base from the start-point means death.

The only tactic in MW5 i've found is that you need to find the right path to advance and complete the mission successfully (read: the right order to take stuff down). In other words: you have a raid mission with 5 bases and your objective is to destroy satellite links; if you rush to the nearest satellite from your drop point; you are doomed.

I'm usually advancing from the initial starting point to the furtherest base of the map and from there to the other mission objectives. Yes: the end-pickup point varies, but usually it pays out: you must do your first strike as far as possible from the initial starting point and advance from there.

So, in the end, it feels like the game or the mission design obstructs you from taking the enemies heads up and forces you to "maneuver" and take stuff down in right order (read: raid missions) .

Edited by Carmaga, 07 January 2020 - 04:31 PM.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

If you bring the right loadouts, then missions are easy enough.

Best to bring brawling loadouts for Defense and Warzone missions. If you have good brawling assaults like Atlas (AC20 + SRM6s + MLs) and Stalkers (6MLs + 4 SRM6s), you can pretty much 2-shot most mechs in the game. Artemis helps even more. The whole point of the Warzone is to hold the ground and the enemies come at you in waves. Defense missions are similar but you'll have the enemy AI going after buildings which mean you have extra armour. So, brawl decks are great here.

For Assassination, Demolition and Raid missions, it''s best to have a loadout that can kill enemies from 400+m away. Here, you can order your lance-mates to hold position, like, at the top of a ridge or something and direct them to hide behind it when there are a lot of enemies. Quickly target VTOLs and Tanks and issue the kill order while you take out more tanks and VTOLs. Rinse and repeat and then go after the mechs. If you do this right, you won't take a whole of damage 'cause you'll kill the tanks and VTOLs very quickly and the enemy mechs aren't much of a threat until they get closer. Most of them just launch a single salvo of LRMs at you until then which is fine.

For campaign missions, even though they are pretty much exactly like the regular missions, it is best to be in your brawl mech, 2 AI lance-mates in long-range direct fire loadouts of autocannons and PPCs and the last one either a brawler or another ranged loadout. It makes the missions simpler.

#9 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:11 PM

View PostSuko, on 06 January 2020 - 10:32 AM, said:

There are so many ideas done in previous MW games that could've been implemented into MW5. But all you're going to get is enemies who magically spawn directly behind you and come in endless waves, making your tactical strategy absolutely worthless. There's barely anything to this game except shoot the everything until it explodes.

LOL, no.

when you get to level 90 missions, you better be using some good tactics, or you will be chewed up and spit out.

I've found it is often beneficial to set up outside the spot (base or whatever) where the enemy is going to come from, find a terrain feature like a hill to shoot at enemies one (or two) at a time as they come over or around the hill.

Keep tight control of your lance mates, as they will tend to charge forward.

I'll leave my lance mates in a good spot, agro the enemy (or hit the waypoint) then run back to my buddies. Then focus fire as the targets crest the hill, or come around the corner.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:31 AM

For lols some times I stick a narc on my Kentaro, replacing a SRM laucher.
Then F3 my guys in a good spot and let them go to town in lrm boats with quad med backup.
For something different

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 08 January 2020 - 03:31 AM.

#11 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

I get tired of hearing my lance AI say "Target is tagged" every 2 secs....

#12 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

View PostJohn McClintock, on 07 January 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

LOL, no.

I've found it is often beneficial to set up outside the spot (base or whatever) where the enemy is going to come from, find a terrain feature like a hill to shoot at enemies one (or two) at a time as they come over or around the hill.

Your strategy is to hide around a corner and shoot enemies as they approach single file eh? Wow, Sun Tzu would be so jealous. If you think this constitutes high level tactics, then I recommend you go play some other games to get a better appreciation for what is out there. There's so much more you can do (in most games) beyond agro the enemy and shoot them as they turn the corner.

This game introduces a repair mechanic, sensor jamming and turret generators in the first few missions and then does nothing more with them for the rest of the game. If we had the option of taking out generators to reduce turret aggro, or destroy a control tower (or signal transmitter) to delay or reduce the frequency of enemy reinforcements, or any number of other game play elements - then we may start getting into a bit more "tactics" than hide behind a corner and shoot them as thru come at us single file.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 07 January 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

I took my Trebuchet and bombed the base I had to completely destroy while my lancemates mopped up the stragglers from the base. It worked as planned so I guess that's something.

Aim, press the command.
They go to it.

#14 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

Best 90-100 ton LRM Boats? Wanted to mess around with a Lance of Assault LRMs for some of these Raid missions.

#15 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 08 January 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

Best 90-100 ton LRM Boats? Wanted to mess around with a Lance of Assault LRMs for some of these Raid missions.

100 ton Mean Baby (Annihilator hero), and if that's not ingame then any of the stalkers with 4 missiles

Edited by Nightbird, 08 January 2020 - 01:49 PM.

#16 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

View PostSuko, on 08 January 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

Your strategy is to hide around a corner and shoot enemies as they approach single file eh? Wow, Sun Tzu would be so jealous. If you think this constitutes high level tactics, then I recommend you go play some other games to get a better appreciation for what is out there. There's so much more you can do (in most games) beyond agro the enemy and shoot them as they turn the corner.

This game introduces a repair mechanic, sensor jamming and turret generators in the first few missions and then does nothing more with them for the rest of the game. If we had the option of taking out generators to reduce turret aggro, or destroy a control tower (or signal transmitter) to delay or reduce the frequency of enemy reinforcements, or any number of other game play elements - then we may start getting into a bit more "tactics" than hide behind a corner and shoot them as thru come at us single file.

If it is stupid, but it works, then it is not stupid. -Sun Tzu, Art of War

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:58 PM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 08 January 2020 - 07:30 AM, said:

I get tired of hearing my lance AI say "Target is tagged" every 2 secs....

What about, "Comander shooting your Narced Target"! Posted Image

Muhahahahaha
Posted Image

#18 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:12 AM

Well the AWS-8T fills a lot of holes in the missing Mechlab. In previous MechWarrior games I would look at the mission and build the mechs in my lance in Mechlab to follow an attack strategy. For whatever reason PGI wanted a minimal Mechlab, which was my favorite part of MechWarrior past. I always felt that Mechlab made MechWarrior unique among games and endlessly re-playable. Oh well, it is a kick when you get say an Orion Protector and sell all your junk to buy it.

Anyway the AWS-8T, not too heavy for any dropweight, gets any demo job done with ease.

#19 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

View PostJohn McClintock, on 08 January 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

If it is stupid, but it works, then it is not stupid. -Sun Tzu, Art of War

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

#20 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

Well I have learned my lesson on Demo jobs at this point. Standing back at range and trying to level the base to 0% with long range weapons and trying to engage each lance dropped at each 25% mark is no where near as efficient as simply bulldozing in with a Brawler lance.
Stomping all over the buildings while stuffing 60-80 point alphas into the enemy mechs faces as they drop on you in the objective is waaay faster. Gotta love an Atlas D that craps out 1700 dmg per mission.

I ended up using the Awesome and Maulers (2 and 2) for Assassination and Raid missions to save on repair costs when I feel the need for cheesing stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users