Opinions On This Gameplay

6 replies to this topic

#1 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Heya folks, i'm not trying to promote anything i just want your honest opinion about the gameplay on a game i'm developing.

It is basically a 2d spaceshooter much like tyrian2000, where you can customize your ship much like in a mechlab). On top of that the shop will generate random weapons like diablo or borderlands within the player level range, same goes with ships.

For istance you can get a particle cannon with a damage boost on its prefix and a cooldown buff on the suffix or a ship with an armor buff and a power boost, or just normal stuff.

Every ship has hardpoints like mechs in battletech and you can fit in there whatever you want as long as it is the same type(energy ballistic missiles yadda yadda) and doesn't generate more power than your generator can handle.

Missions will be randomly generated with different types of gameplay, from infiltration(use enemy ship and avoid firing cone of sight, to boss fights and so on) except for the story missions which will be handcrafted.

The player will gain levels and money and the items will follow the player progression as well as the enemy level and mission payout.

So i would like your honest opinion about this gameplay, would it be fun or would it be boring?

#2 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:21 AM

To be honest it sounds like a mobile game.

#3 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

Yeah but is it something that could be fun to play or not? it's not that i can change it anyway at this stage but maybe some outsider perspective wouldn't be bad.

Ofc i understand it's difficult to say since there's nothing to base the opinion upon other than a summary description, still anything would be helpful.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM

top down space shooters are always gonna be fun. i had an idea for something similar, but with newtonian physics, something a cross between battleships forever and kerbal space program. would be open world with an emphasis on survival and resource gathering as you need to harvest fuel and metals in order to maintain and upgrade your ship, though there would be a minimalistic economy (but i dont really want it to be a trading game).

it would have a complete solar system you can explore and exploit. game would be top down in space but if you enter an atmosphere it transitions into a side scroller. where you can fly and land to set up mining installations. your own weaponry would be of an improvised nature as the ships you own are not warships. mostly improvised kinetic weapons (think throwing asteroids at your targets). your engines would be somewhere between plasma thrusters and torch drives, hard scifi stuff. you would be able to constantly add on to your ship as you progress. eventually you would gain access to stolen alien technologies.

the game would revolve around a colonization mission gone awry. game takes place long after the sun as begun to expand to a red giant. after a war for diminishing resources resulted in a number of human derivative species being ousted from the sol system on a massive generation ship towards a star system with a potentially habitable exoplanet. when the exhausted generation ship begins its final approach to the star it is discovered that the system is already inhabited by a number of warring alien species. upon arrival the ship is immediately attacked and crippled, and your people have no choice but to evacuate in small vessels and try to eek out a living in the new wartorn system. you would start the game in a small survey ship with no other objective than to survive, establish bases, gather resources, and prepare yourselves to deal with the hostile aliens, not to mention other groups of desperate survivors.

but i very much doubt im going to do it. been working on my space sim engine for years and never got it to a minimally viable state, and this game would require a completely different engine.

#5 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:29 AM

This is my second game and as far as i can tell unless you can muster up a team that respect conventions about programming it's going to be hard to do on your own. I know how to develop and draw so i can cover those 2 parts but everything else is a learning experience, and i'm developing small games, not silly ones mind you , but snes quality games. Now to go open world and contruction, mining etc it's gonna be hell.

That is also why i don't judge developers anymore. I realize it's super hard

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

View PostDashen, on 10 January 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

This is my second game and as far as i can tell unless you can muster up a team that respect conventions about programming it's going to be hard to do on your own. I know how to develop and draw so i can cover those 2 parts but everything else is a learning experience, and i'm developing small games, not silly ones mind you , but snes quality games. Now to go open world and contruction, mining etc it's gonna be hell.

That is also why i don't judge developers anymore. I realize it's super hard

its not for lack of skill, ive done modding on lots of different games and can program in several different languages (c, c++, and lua are probably my top 3). i just dont have the time, energy or focus to really get er dun. id have to cut out a few major line items to have any hope of completion. possibly do a simplified graphics style (like og star fox). but then there would be nothing left to make it stand out from the multitudes of 2d games out there.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 January 2020 - 07:34 AM.

#7 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

Yup, that's why i meant by difficult, It's just hell to do on your own because of how complex it becomes, there's so much to keep track that you go crazy.

Anyway, i hope this game it will be fun to play cause i don't have a plan b if it fails.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users