Jump to content

So... How About That Year Of Faction Play?


23 replies to this topic

#1 Ilfi

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

I didn't really play the game or keep tabs on patches, so I'd love to hear what changes were made and how the game fared. Thanks in advance for your responses.

#2 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

Well, there are more matches than there were the year prior. So I guess something was accomplished.

#3 Vxheous

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,500 posts
  • Location2 Time World Champion

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

Faction play population increased due to Death to Group queue.

Edited by Vxheous, 07 January 2020 - 05:08 PM.


#4 MisterSomaru

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:44 PM

View PostVxheous, on 07 January 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

Faction play population increased due to Death to Group queue.

this

#5 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

That is certainly a factor.

Another important factor; although it is nice showing the number of groups in queue it has enabled certain groups/units that run 8-12 man teams to dodge all of the other teams in queue so they can club seals rather than face legitimate opposition.

Some of them you can even watch do it live on stream.

Edited by Prototelis, 08 January 2020 - 12:22 AM.


#6 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:18 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 January 2020 - 12:22 AM, said:

so they can club seals rather than face legitimate opposition.

No idea why it pays out better to go farm some random solo players then to go face an organized group...

Reward group vs group fighting over skipping groups to go farm easy wins, and the problem will fix itself.

#7 justcallme A S H

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • 7,606 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:49 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 08 January 2020 - 05:18 AM, said:

No idea why it pays out better to go farm some random solo players then to go face an organized group...


Because against PUG/Solo droppers you are able to farm your 2,000dmg with lock-ons.

Against organised groups, even rather average ones, they shut down your lock-on fixation by using one of two things.
  • Cover
  • AMS
So it doesn't matter if you are the 12th man alive on wave 1 lobbing your missiles around. They are generally doing nothing and thus you end up with 1,000dmg matches and mediocre payouts.

If you brought properly optimised loadouts/direct fire and worked with your team - you would see a noticeable increase in performance. Now, it might take 12 months because you've gotta learn to aim - but the end result is there same as it is for everyone.

#8 Prototelis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:18 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 08 January 2020 - 05:18 AM, said:

No idea why it pays out better to go farm some random solo players then to go face an organized group...

Reward group vs group fighting over skipping groups to go farm easy wins, and the problem will fix itself.


If 10 mans didn't spend so much time trying to duck Queue you'd play more solo games.

If you didn't spend so much time trying to sync with the strongest group you'd wouldn't play so man pug-vs premade matches.


In other words; stop being a toxic pariah and you might get invites to better groups.

#9 I O O percent KongLord

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:55 AM

This is the year of dead game

#10 Kodyn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

From some of the comments here it would seem that FP is in fact still alive to some extent, is that really the case?

I ask because I've taken some time off, came back, ran the event in QP, but tried a few FP matches in between, as I always loved FP. Thought the queue was broken or that no one was there, because it just kept showing different numbers and resetting for 10+ mins. I'm used to it taking a few, but the way the new UI displays things, it looks like you're getting players, it's setting up the match, then restarting queue without ever creating a lobby.

If I had my way, I'd be playing almost nothing but FP, outside of testing builds or lvling new mechs, but I can't reasonably wait more than 10 mins for a match to even begin, so I hope I just picked some bad times and I'm wrong about the queue.

Would love some light shed on this by someone masochistic enough to still be out there plugging away at FP.

#11 Hazeclaw

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:09 PM

View PostKodyn, on 14 January 2020 - 07:59 PM, said:

From some of the comments here it would seem that FP is in fact still alive to some extent, is that really the case?

I ask because I've taken some time off, came back, ran the event in QP, but tried a few FP matches in between, as I always loved FP. Thought the queue was broken or that no one was there, because it just kept showing different numbers and resetting for 10+ mins. I'm used to it taking a few, but the way the new UI displays things, it looks like you're getting players, it's setting up the match, then restarting queue without ever creating a lobby.

If I had my way, I'd be playing almost nothing but FP, outside of testing builds or lvling new mechs, but I can't reasonably wait more than 10 mins for a match to even begin, so I hope I just picked some bad times and I'm wrong about the queue.

Would love some light shed on this by someone masochistic enough to still be out there plugging away at FP.


It's the new fp matchmaker. Fp is the group mode of mwo, it prioritizes groups over solos, largest groups get priority, then smaller groups, then solos, if you're dropping solo and the right group combinations are available you might not get to drop at all

#12 Kodyn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

Alright, makes sense, thanks Haze. Back when FP was CW, I was in AW, so I never had to drop solo- then CW died, I retired from the unit because I didn't have the time to make mandatory drops, and I was still able to get FP matches within reasonable times as a pug. Sure, we'd get stomped, but at least I had fun and could rack up decent numbers by knowing what I was doing to some extent.

Guess I'll have to just be very patient or join a unit again if I want to really see some FP matches that badly.

#13 Vxheous

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,500 posts
  • Location2 Time World Champion

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:27 PM

View PostKodyn, on 14 January 2020 - 08:16 PM, said:

Alright, makes sense, thanks Haze. Back when FP was CW, I was in AW, so I never had to drop solo- then CW died, I retired from the unit because I didn't have the time to make mandatory drops, and I was still able to get FP matches within reasonable times as a pug. Sure, we'd get stomped, but at least I had fun and could rack up decent numbers by knowing what I was doing to some extent.

Guess I'll have to just be very patient or join a unit again if I want to really see some FP matches that badly.


AW had mandatory drops?

#14 Kodyn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:33 PM

View PostVxheous, on 14 January 2020 - 08:27 PM, said:

AW had mandatory drops?


For certain, actually most, companies, yes. I was also an officer for much of my time in the unit, so there was paperwork and other things involved that detracted a bit from just casually blowing up robots. Don't get me wrong, I loved that unit, lot of good people, just a bit more work than I wanted while playing a game, at that point in my life.

#15 Vxheous

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,500 posts
  • Location2 Time World Champion

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

View PostKodyn, on 14 January 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:


For certain, actually most, companies, yes. I was also an officer for much of my time in the unit, so there was paperwork and other things involved that detracted a bit from just casually blowing up robots. Don't get me wrong, I loved that unit, lot of good people, just a bit more work than I wanted while playing a game, at that point in my life.


paperwork?!? Posted Image

#16 Kodyn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

After action reports, yes lol. Plus anything from SGT on up, people would always expect you to call drops, which I don't mind sometimes, but often I'd prefer to follow someone better than I am, rather than have people following my utterly average butt around, hoping I made the right calls. I do miss a lot of aspects of being in a unit, I'm just bad at maintaining a schedule, and usually being in management positions for work, didn't want to be a leader in my gaming time all the time as well.

#17 Vxheous

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,500 posts
  • Location2 Time World Champion

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

View PostKodyn, on 14 January 2020 - 08:38 PM, said:

After action reports, yes lol. Plus anything from SGT on up, people would always expect you to call drops, which I don't mind sometimes, but often I'd prefer to follow someone better than I am, rather than have people following my utterly average butt around, hoping I made the right calls. I do miss a lot of aspects of being in a unit, I'm just bad at maintaining a schedule, and usually being in management positions for work, didn't want to be a leader in my gaming time all the time as well.


I'm curious, what would an After action report for FP look like. Just an example.

#18 Kodyn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:59 PM

View PostVxheous, on 14 January 2020 - 08:55 PM, said:

I'm curious, what would an After action report for FP look like. Just an example.


Oh god dude, now you're making my memory have to work...pretty sure it was fairly basic- OPFOR name, what we dropped in, who was calling, brief summary of the battle, outcome. We did them for any scheduled drops, not just FP. Nothing crazy, but it felt a bit like homework, which I was never a fan of lol.

#19 justcallme A S H

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • CS 2019 Referee
  • 7,606 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

View PostKodyn, on 14 January 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:

For certain, actually most, companies, yes.


What a joke. Any unit every tried that, I'd just leave. Reporting on a game result... LOL.


As for FP - It is more alive in the last 4-6 months than it was the previous 12 months.

There is regularly 24/24 players (in-game) even in Oceanic, where Oceanic was totally dead for the most part of 2018 and half of 2019.

During NA Peak, by my very rough guess at the least it would be 96/96 - So ~8 games concurrently running or not far off it. Rarely see the same group twice in NA peak and when getting out of match the lobby is regularly 24/24 on the timers so 2 matches kick off at once.

Who would have thought that all PGI had to do to make FP active was announce the game was in Maintenance mode and thus kill off the GroupQ population. So the only thing that is left - FP.

#20 Kodyn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

Like I said, great group of guys, I just wasn't a huge fan of all the military RP features, but most of them were into it. I stayed as long as I did because of the people. When Minoxen was my direct superior for instance, or when Snugglestime and I were in the same company and I got my enjoyment shooting him in the mechbutt every drop.

I am glad to hear that there is still some life to FP though, I always felt it should be the focal point of the game, despite it's poor implementation and fixes over the years. Perhaps I'll just have to find something to watch on another monitor and wait patiently for drops to form as a solo, if I can't bite the bullet and get into another unit.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users