So... How About That Year Of Faction Play?

23 replies to this topic

#21 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:49 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 January 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

What a joke. Any unit every tried that, I'd just leave. Reporting on a game result... LOL.

Too busy curating all the screenshots for later use against forum loudmouths?

#22 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:04 PM

View PostVxheous, on 07 January 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

Faction play population increased due to Death to Group queue.

Here's my prediction:

FW population will limp along until a sufficient dip makes finding a match difficult for several days in a row.

Permissive attitudes around sync drops in QP will result in people moving from FW to sync dropping in QP.

While sync drops of strangers in twitch streams are not impactful syncdrops with teams can be.

This will get minimalized and dismissed right until the average player (not top 1%, average player) encounters (or thinks he encounters) sync dropping that impacts (or he thinks impacts) his win/loss an average of 1x every two days or more.

More people will start sync dropping in response to seeing it often enough to feel 'common'.

This cycle self-reinforces until average player sees (or thinks they see) sync drops 2x a day (assuming about 20 matches a day) at which point **** hits the fan. Population splits on this being the new norm and this being cheating. Average players with a 0.85 win/loss (that's the average player when you account for the skewing caused by the top 0.01% of players) start winning more in syncs and so don't want to lose it, people who don't sync drop lose more on average and rage.

Significant population void in a short period of time and massive surge in salty behavior.

Drop in population condenses the issue - fewer total players, people who don't sync drop are more likely to encounter those who do, methods to min/max sync drop success refined and becomes 'tribal knowledge' as in passed word of mouth to everyone.

Death spiral ensues. MWO dies out.

This has been a repeated system for several games dying out, obviously not sync dropping but use of exploits or semi-exploits of some sort. WIthout a steady influx of new players to wash the salt away so to speak once a perceived 'cheat' (term used loosely) enters main stream you're lighting the fuse. Player churn on FPS from this sort of stuff is so bad that Epic is literally suing exploiters to try and keep it out of the game, Valve and Rockstar spent a painful amount on it in 2018 and 2019 both (for example). Epic is literally going to burn more on each lawsuit than the majority of games on Steam have spent on development total. That's not because they're stupid, it's because a sense of permissiveness around exploits/cheating put a bullet in game population.

Anyway. That's my prediction. End of GQ was the start of a slide.

#23 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

I think you will find many people who play FP would rather quit the game than play QP at this point. Thankfully thats not a problem for the time being as FP drops are plentiful

#24 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

So... How About That Year Of Faction Play?

I think you misheard Russ, when he actually said was:

This is the last year of Faction Play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users