Long Live Mwo

76 replies to this topic

#21 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

I don't think mech packs will bring many people back, too many variants already ingame. They just need to spend 100 hours each on both QP and FP to implement low hanging fruit fixes to the MM in QP and the lobby in FP. Without these, MWO will still decline slowly, but the player base is pretty resilient.

#22 Tranderas

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:12 AM

View PostNightbird, on 11 January 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

You're right but those are more fringe reasons, the important one I was pointing out is that MWO is fun, more streamers are willing to play it and more viewers are willing to watch it.

https://steamcharts.com/app/342200
MWO pop has been stable for half a year, it could even go up if PGI put some dev time into features.

Fallen by half is stable Posted Image

There was a moment during EST prime last week where there were no MWO casters at all. It can take a matter of 1-2 well-known casters to 10-30x the average viewer count. We saw an example of large swings when the beginning of November had a caster event with so many people that it managed to make a 10-player Steamchart swing- over 2% of the total population- for the entire month's average.

#23 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:34 AM

Fallen by half if you're counting before the maintenance mode announcement... sure. After the initial slide from that announcement, pop has been flat, EVEN THROUGH THE LAUNCH OF MW5, which is surprising given how many people said MWO will end when MW5 is released.

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:58 AM

theres been a small upturn in new players according to jarls. probably people who came for mw5 and decided to try mwo. but it seems fewer games are getting played, probably a result of the increased wait times. might be time to go 8v8,

Edited by LordNothing, 12 January 2020 - 02:01 AM.

#25 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:18 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 January 2020 - 01:58 AM, said:

might be time to go 8v8,

Personally I do not think that this would be a good idea. You can handle one (or even two discos) under normal circumstances - 11:12 is still manageable (or even 10:12 with some luck).

6:8 or 7:8 is much worse ratio.

#26 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

Soo are they going to reboot this thing or what? MW5 runs WAY better on my rig than MWO ever has.

#27 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

View PostHumpday, on 12 January 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

Soo are they going to reboot this thing or what? MW5 runs WAY better on my rig than MWO ever has.

Yes and no, MW5 runs better in single player mode better than MWO on live, but if you run MWO in testing grounds or academy, the FPS is double what is on live, this is the MP tax. Cut MW5 fps in half and unfortunately you'll get about the same FPS.

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

Ask Russ Bullock (on Twitter, of course).

#29 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:16 AM

View PostNightbird, on 10 January 2020 - 07:36 AM, said:

from twitch viewer numbers

Posted Image

People view more a PVP than a PVE game?

Big shocker there.. Posted Image

#30 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:33 AM

Plenty of PvE games compete for top spots if they're difficult, offer replay value or are being used for speedruns. MW5 offers none of these things. Dark Souls, Risk of Rain 2 and Jump King (2019 meme game of the year) are good examples if you don't believe me.

#31 Mech Walesa

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:15 AM

View PostNightbird, on 12 January 2020 - 01:34 AM, said:

Fallen by half if you're counting before the maintenance mode announcement... sure. After the initial slide from that announcement, pop has been flat, EVEN THROUGH THE LAUNCH OF MW5, which is surprising given how many people said MWO will end when MW5 is released.

i'm still waiting for the real mw5. the one i got is faulty so i came back to mwo :D

#32 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:22 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 11 January 2020 - 02:02 PM, said:

fair enough.

Quickest short term burst to pop? The Kraken Posted Image

As droolastic as Kraken is I will not give PGI any money untill russ says they restart MWO development.

Edited by Curccu, 13 January 2020 - 04:22 AM.

#33 Mech Walesa

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:22 AM

i have an opposite experience

#34 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:54 AM

View Postmartian, on 12 January 2020 - 05:18 AM, said:

Personally I do not think that this would be a good idea. You can handle one (or even two discos) under normal circumstances - 11:12 is still manageable (or even 10:12 with some luck).

6:8 or 7:8 is much worse ratio.

i dont know. wait times are a huge turn off for me. if i start hitting 10 minutes for a qp match, or 45 minutes for an fp match, i usually go play something else. if its between playing at all even with dcs having a larger impact, or not playing because im bored out of my skull waiting for games to form, id rather take the former. also pgi, if they were smart, could make a lot of those disconnects go away if they remove the full screen video mode from the options screen and force full window (though fs might still be available in a user.cfg setting), as that causes a large portion of the disconnects. at least throw a popup that informs players that full screen has stability issues.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 January 2020 - 07:59 AM.

#35 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

I saved this one last week

Posted Image

#36 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 13 January 2020 - 08:56 AM, said:

I saved this one last week

From? The middle of the night or work day? For example, at the time of this post, I see

Posted Image

There are times when there are more MW5 viewers, but they run out quick after the giveaways are done.

#37 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 January 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

i dont know. wait times are a huge turn off for me. if i start hitting 10 minutes for a qp match, or 45 minutes for an fp match, i usually go play something else. if its between playing at all even with dcs having a larger impact, or not playing because im bored out of my skull waiting for games to form, id rather take the former. also pgi, if they were smart, could make a lot of those disconnects go away if they remove the full screen video mode from the options screen and force full window (though fs might still be available in a user.cfg setting), as that causes a large portion of the disconnects. at least throw a popup that informs players that full screen has stability issues.

I have just tested waiting times in QP ...

All three zones checked ...

Results:
0:30 Light
3:30 Medium
0:10 Medium
0:20 Medium
2:30 Heavy
1:00 Heavy
1:10 Assault
0:45 Assault

As you can see, the waiting times have been about one minute, two minutes in more populated weight classes. These are the times from clicking "Play" to the map/game mode selection screen.

#38 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

View Postmartian, on 13 January 2020 - 10:57 AM, said:

I have just tested waiting times in QP ...

All three zones checked ...

Results:
3:30 Medium
0:20 Medium
2:30 Heavy
1:00 Heavy
1:10 Assault
0:45 Assault

As you can see, the waiting times have been about one minute, two minutes in more populated weight classes. These are the times from clicking "Play" to the map/game mode selection screen.

dont forget to add 2 and a half minutes you spend loading, and waiting for players to connect. load times can be north of a minute even with a fast nvme ssd. given that there is always a dc the countdown at the start of the game can run the full 90 seconds. plus include time in the vote screen. if you play lots of games the wait just to get out of the game you were in to select a new mech and start searching again can also be a minute or two. i also think there is some kind of de-prioritization you get if you die early and try to launch another match before that one ends.

despite my hyperbole (and extremely long wait times do sometimes happen), there comes a point where the excessively long wait times snuff out any enthusiasm for playing the game. when the ratio between the time spent playing and the time spent waiting reaches a certain threshold the game is unbearable. in qp this can often be 1:1. playing faction play, which i prefer, does get the ratio a little better as high as 3:1 during peak hours.

#39 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:43 AM

load times? that's in every game

Wait times in QP and FP are pretty manageable, in the case of FP better than half a year ago when the pop was supposedly 100% higher. TY GQ.

#40 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:27 AM

View PostNightbird, on 14 January 2020 - 07:43 AM, said:

load times? that's in every game

Wait times in QP and FP are pretty manageable, in the case of FP better than half a year ago when the pop was supposedly 100% higher. TY GQ.

yea but other games manage this better. even mw5 loads while you tweak your lance. but it compounds with all the other delays, and with the stop and go nature of the game, it really sucks. see that post count, forum warrior while you wait.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 January 2020 - 09:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users