76 replies to this topic

#41 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 January 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

yea but other games manage this better. even mw5 loads while you tweak your lance. but it compounds with all the other delays, and with the stop and go nature of the game, it really sucks. see that post count, forum warrior while you wait.

it's manageable... watch youtube, read a book, tv, play a second (pause-able) game while waiting

#42 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

Jan is actually seeing a slight uptick in players, you guys bored of monotonous MW5 play or just back from vacation?

#43 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

View PostNightbird, on 15 January 2020 - 06:52 AM, said:

Jan is actually seeing a slight uptick in players, you guys bored of monotonous MW5 play or just back from vacation?

according the jarls global stats these are new players, presumably mw5 players who are trying out mwo for the first time. idk how many people that will draw into the game. maybe it will be a breath of new life into mwo, perhaps enough to get pgi to release more mechs or something (probably as joint dlc for mw5). or it could plateau and die off again. too early to tell. but were looking at a 2x new player spike since october while the player count stopped tanking and plateaued at 15k around the same time. so maybe drastic measures like 8v8 can be held off abit.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 January 2020 - 10:00 AM.

#44 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:59 AM

it's all troll alts, lol

#45 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 15 January 2020 - 09:59 AM, said:

it's all troll alts, lol

Ebil troll olt chitters

#46 Andr3wR3dburn

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Have to admit... I am finding the MW5 grind a little tedious.
Not to mention, it being stuck in pre-4th succession wars territory without the Clans is somewhat frustrating.
Has anything official been said about the death of MWO or are we assuming it's dying on the strength of no announcements of new content or any patches since Oct? At the moment I am holding off buying anymore premium time as I get the impression that PGI have given up on MWO in favour of MW5.

#47 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostAndr3wR3dburn, on 16 January 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

Have to admit... I am finding the MW5 grind a little tedious.
Not to mention, it being stuck in pre-4th succession wars territory without the Clans is somewhat frustrating.
Has anything official been said about the death of MWO or are we assuming it's dying on the strength of no announcements of new content or any patches since Oct? At the moment I am holding off buying anymore premium time as I get the impression that PGI have given up on MWO in favour of MW5.

There will be an announcement in Jan or Feb on the future of MWO, that been said I don't expect there to be more development time, at best an announcement that the servers will not be turned off.

#48 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

View PostNightbird, on 16 January 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

There will be an announcement in Jan or Feb on the future of MWO,

Or March. Or June. Or never.
I would more expect there to be a tweet from Russ saying "MWO? I forgot we even made that game."

#49 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

Russ: "MWO? I thought that closed with IGP going away. I helped work on the early development of that, I just wish we'd taken it beyond a QP environment and made the Community Warfare idea we pitched."

Interviewer: "Russ, you released CW in December of 2014, it's been active for over 5 years."

Russ: "We did? I remember promising it but that doesn't mean anything. ****, did I accidentally assign someone to that? Everyone kept telling me I should try showing up to work sober from time to time but that was never my management style. Did anyone play it?"

Interviewer: "Uh.... yeah. Tons, early on. Then you didn't deliver the needed changes. Then you did Long Tom, which people hated, and left it for a year and a half. Then you finished it off with One Bukkit. Aside from a handful of diehards the only people still playing after all your repeated attempts to murder it are the people there because group queue died."

Russ: "Oh, yeah! Now I remember. I lost $20 on that total, $5 each time I bet I could kill it without pulling the queue completely. I can't believe people kept playing through that. They were all supposed to play Solaris VII instead."

Interviewer: "Yes but people played MWO either for just love of stompy robbits and super casual or a competitive team v team environment. A competitive solo v solo environment appealed to a handful of people."

I could write this interview all day, but this is about as long as Russ has ever been willing to talk about MWO in an interview so it seems right to cut it off here.

MW5 will, if anything, draw people to MWO. The longer MW5 goes and more people who play it the more people who'll play MW5 and decide they want a PvP version and go to MWO. If only the NPE was better, could keep some of them.

#50 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:04 AM

MW5 was fun for what it is, but it is a 1 playthrough game in that it gets boring after you have done everything story or high reward related there.

As imperfect as MWO is, it doesn’t get nearly as boring. Different players (of various qualities), bringing different mechs ensures no two matches are quite the same. So, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some folks slide over here.

#51 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

MWO is dying because they refuse to fix the centrifugal forces in quickplay. There are tons of lost mechs at the outskirts no one has ever checked.

And pay 2 win is way to much in this game. They really want 750mc for a stupid color or pattern. Something you should receive from gameplay. Not having the income I have I would have turned my back to this game a long time ago.

Edited by Quandoo, 18 January 2020 - 06:28 AM.

#52 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:08 AM

View PostQuandoo, on 18 January 2020 - 06:20 AM, said:

And pay 2 win is way to much in this game. They really want 750mc for a stupid color or pattern.

I don't think you know what pay to win means...

#53 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:19 AM

And pay 2 win is way to much in this game. They really want 750mc for a stupid color or pattern.

1) Pardon? How a colour or a livery pattern can help you win?

2) Can you give me an advice how to paint my 'Mech, so I will be always victorious, please?

Something you should receive from gameplay. Not having the income I have I would have turned my back to this game a long time ago.

3) Check my Cicada, please:

a) This is a "Champion" CDA-2A(C) Cicada with 30% XP bonus. PGI gave it to me for free, "from gameplay" as you said.

b ) PGI added a cool "Applejack" livery pattern to the 'Mech.

c) Did you ask for colours? PGI added two bright colours - AJ Light Orange and Moegi - that I can use not only on this free Cicada, but on any 'Mech in my inventory.

Posted Image

d) On top of all these things, PGI even gave me this cool tiny Cicada statue to make my cockpit more comfortable.

Posted Image

Edited by martian, 18 January 2020 - 08:21 AM.

#54 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

View Postmartian, on 18 January 2020 - 08:19 AM, said:

1) Pardon? How a colour or a livery pattern can help you win?

2) Can you give me an advice how to paint my 'Mech, so I will be always victorious, please?

Paint it Red. Makes it go faster.

~Leone.

#55 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

View PostLeone, on 18 January 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

Paint it Red. Makes it go faster.

~Leone.

We are not in WH40K .... Posted Image

#56 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

View PostShanrak, on 18 January 2020 - 07:08 AM, said:

I don't think you know what pay to win means...

But red mechs go faster...

#57 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

View PostNightbird, on 14 January 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

it's manageable... watch youtube, read a book, tv, play a second (pause-able) game while waiting

that works until the thing you do while waiting for matches becomes more interesting than the matches.

#58 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:23 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 January 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

that works until the thing you do while waiting for matches becomes more interesting than the matches.

Well, I played Stellaris, Battletech, FFXV, Witcher and I'm still here... I suppose if you get hooked on another MMO you may quit but single player games not so much risk.

Edited by Nightbird, 19 January 2020 - 03:23 PM.

#59 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

4:XX am EST

#60 Nightbird

• The God of Death