6 replies to this topic

#1 Renegade max

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

Attention all Mechwarriors !!Posted Image

The true MechWarrior experience has returned in MechWarrior 5.

I have been a extremely longtime MechWarrior starting all the way back in the MW2 - gaming days up to MW3, MW4 vengeance, Mercenaries. Then an original beta tester of MechWarrior online and have been very happy with the online game and always been hooked to come back all the time and play online. I have my six year cupcake.

I have my Mech favorites and love how MechWarrior online has developed but as always would love to see a little more variety in the Maps. Maybe rotate maps more often and cycle faction maps somehow into quick play. However, overall I have absolutely loved the online game. I understand its an old engine but It was great in its day and still has some great aspects thanks Crytek/Piranha.

**NOW lets get into MechWarrior 5 - Mercenaries.** Quick review.

I have been playing this now for at least 8 hours or more and can say without a doubt it has returned my love for the original series and delivers in many ways. GREAT GREAT job Piranha.

Its great to see a developer listen to what has made the original so great and also expanded on the complexity and from what I can see the future expandability of the Unreal 4 engine. It has been a longtime coming and I for one think you have really nailed the experience. So why? you ask well this is why in my opinion.

1. Great mech customization and modeling just like online I get we don't have the decals, extra customizations but that all that cannot be done right away at the beginning. You have to start somewhere.

2. A true mission base game with quite open maps and extra missions where extra c-bills are available. Great idea. So many planets to visit and some quite interesting additions of planet jumping cinematics. great characters on each planet area.

3. Great Jump ship rendering that really gives you the feel that you are managing and engaged in your own fate and growth as a MechWarrior, Marketplace, Roster, black markets, great double missions, just so many extras that you just need to growth and learn just makes the game feel so much more real and rewarding.

4. Picking up mechs that you love and really managing your money and resources just like a mercenary would. Just a really nice experience.

5. The simulation has really been nailed. Great heat of the battle, you must manage your heat, great damage modelling, vehicles just like the old original games, choppers, great destructible environments, turrets, buildings etc. Great planet variety and systems. It really has brought back all the original feel of what made BattleTech MechWarrior games so great starting with MW2.

6. Just so much possibility for expansion. I really have not used the extra portions of the game but I am sure it will continue to expand.

7. And last but not least - Just a true Mech experience this is not total easy and it should not be. You must hide, manage your weapons, manage your armour, manage your heat, you just cannot go in guns blazing and expect to survive you must use your head and manage your lancemates just love these aspects of the game. Just so much more realistic.

*IF - you truly loved the days of MW2,3,4, gaming then you will once again be hooked I know I am. As always because of the great advancement in gaming engines and technology it is truly becoming a great full MechWarrior experience. To me the future looks bright for Mechwarrior gaming and this only adds to the MechWarrior experience.

Thank you for your time and happy hunting warriors.

*My rating for this games is 8.5/10. There is always room to grow but this is a fabulous start thanks again Piranha.

From - Renegade max. **

#2 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:26 PM

Hi R3negade.

I am realy lucky you are so enthusiastic about the new MW5 but you and me seem to own two different versions of this game. And I also played from MW2 on to now.

My story is crap.
My story missions are boring and there is no difference to the generic missions.
The generic missions are all the same.
I am missing so many features from the older MW titles.
Horrible spawn mechanics.
Missing difficulty settings.
No way for a „strategic“ gameplay.
No background Flair like News, coms, politics, why the Inner Sphare is changing.
The same awful grind as in a F2P title like MWO.
And many more.

At least it is a MW game and I am happy it exists.
But my version of this game deserves nothing more then 5 or 6 our of 10 points.
With FLiNG Trainer and „better spawn mod“ maybe 7 out of 10.

But I am happy you enjoy it as many others do.

Have fun.

Edited by Mumuharra, 10 January 2020 - 11:33 PM.

#3 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:44 AM

I've given it a lot of thought. I can honestly say I enjoyed Fallout 76 more. I understand that's a bold statement, but it's my genuine opinion. For all the jank that's there, there's still a hand-crafted world to immerse myself in, a more compelling narrative, deeper character customization and higher replay value.

I'm glad you got your money's worth out of MW5. I certainly didn't. It's a hollow shell of a game; it's choosing between Instant Action with all Mechs unlocked, or Instant Action with a budget. A whopping 16 weapon types and 3 mission types (since Defense/Warzone and Assassination/Raid blend together). So much potential, untapped.

The franchise remains in dire straits. I pray Microsoft eventually finds the willpower to rip it out of this team's hands.

#4 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:20 AM

I agree that while I had my fun with the game through the campaign and collection some mechs its allready on my "potential uninstalls" list. I only keep it to see what the editor will do and if someone will pick up the basis thats given and make something good out of it. Also I don't have high hopes, neither for the editor nor that something awesome will come out of it.

As for MS or anyone else at a similar size picking up the Lizens...no. I don't see that happen in my lifetime.
These companies have to produce good selling titles so they will go the secure route. Either well known franchises or nostalgia or better both.
Tripple A studios have become to big for their own good and what people aspect of a AAA title has become to expansive. That combined and you are forced to make games that you know that sell with specific numbers.

When those companies look at Mechwarrior or Battletech in general, then they only see a franchise that is past its prime.
While it may still be profitable to some smaller companies like Catalyst, PGI or HBS, also its even hard for them, its definitly nothing big companies will invest much into unless they see prove that there is a high reward in for them.

Edited by Nesutizale, 11 January 2020 - 03:21 AM.

#5 Hellfire666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

View PostMumuharra, on 10 January 2020 - 11:26 PM, said:

Hi R3negade.

I am realy lucky you are so enthusiastic about the new MW5 but you and me seem to own two different versions of this game. And I also played from MW2 on to now.

My story is crap.
My story missions are boring and there is no difference to the generic missions.
The generic missions are all the same.
I am missing so many features from the older MW titles.
Horrible spawn mechanics.
Missing difficulty settings.
No way for a „strategic“ gameplay.
No background Flair like News, coms, politics, why the Inner Sphare is changing.
The same awful grind as in a F2P title like MWO.
And many more.

At least it is a MW game and I am happy it exists.
But my version of this game deserves nothing more then 5 or 6 our of 10 points.
With FLiNG Trainer and „better spawn mod“ maybe 7 out of 10.

But I am happy you enjoy it as many others do.

Have fun.

Lets see if this review still stands up after 30 hours. This game is a hot mess. It gives the illusion at first of being decent but that quickly wears off when you realize it's just Spawn Warrior 5: The grind is real.

#6 Renegade max

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

Guys,

I do agree there are certainly some downfalls to the game and it is not perfect or polished quite yet and it still needs some work but I will keep playing. I do see your point God of death about just spawn warrior that may be a big deal once I get deeper into the game so you probably correct. That does seem to be a pitfall of the game design - Mechs just spawn out of no where etc very repetitive. It may not be perfectly polished but it has a lot of capability. I guess playtime and time will tell.

I will maybe do a revised review once I have completed the full game.

Renegade max. Cheers.

#7 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:41 AM

View PostRenegade max, on 11 January 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

I will maybe do a revised review once I have completed the full game.

So just a heads up, the mid-game is rough. The beginning starts out pretty good, the mid grind is well, a grind, but then the end finishes up pretty good once you get through the mid game.

Did I get my money's worth? For me, yes. I'm hopeful the DLC will be interesting enough to justify another play though. Right now my 6 year old is having a blast playing it, in fact, since he only gets to play after his homework is done, he's actually asking if he can do his homework so he can go play afterwards.

Edited by Five by Five, 13 January 2020 - 07:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users