42 replies to this topic

#1 Blanerz

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Are flamers any good? I was thinking of removing one of my med lasers and implementing a flamer.

#2 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Not yet, atm quite useless except for fun or psychological reasons.
But they will be changed/adjusted. At some point. In the hopefully near future. Together with machineguns.

-> Follow/read the Q&A and/or listen to the NGNG podcast.

Edited by Ragor, 25 January 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#3 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Flamers (and MG's) are currently a joke and worthless.

In theory PGI will improve them at some point, but they just don't 'get it' and so I have very little faith MG's will be useful in the near future let alone flamers. :)

That being said, they can be fun for style. I was running paired flamers on chain fire for looks. They generated almost no heat but was funny to see.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Friends don't let friends use Flamers.

#5 Frootbat

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Too bad, would be fun

#6 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

they can kinda be useful, if the enemy you're targeting has no armor left and is overheating in front of you.

Still, it's not worth switching a medium laser for it.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

*Sets to making video with flamers!*

:)

#8 Penneywize

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

*avoids dropping with Koniving for the next little while*

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostPenneywize, on 25 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

*avoids dropping with Koniving for the next little while*

Actually the first round I had 365. Every round since then has been terrible though. Floods of 6 PPC stalkers. Can't seem to have a match without them or the 6 Artemis SRM-6 Catapults.

#10 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

I once put 9 flamers on a Hunchback-4P. It was honestly the funniest thing I have ever seen.

One of the rounds I dropped with it, I was the last alive in an absolute stomping. I was roasting an Atlas and I swear that most of his team mates (including him) just stopped to watch. Then an SRM cat shot me in the back (and I will never forgive you).

#11 P5YCO

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I had a commando with twin flamers, and one guy said it just tickled. They could at least push the enemy into overheat which would be useful.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Still collecting video, since I won't bore people with full matches using a flamer 'Mech. Gonna do a little montage, load it with something silly like Firebat quotes from Starcraft. Gotta get a few people to join me with them.

Edited by Koniving, 26 January 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#13 Icebergdx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

All that flamers are supposed to do is raise heat level in target mech. They do essentially no damage.

#14 ChairBorneRanger

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I actually use mine with moderate success in my HBK-4P. I got it loaded with 8 MPLAS and only having about .7 or .8 tonnes left after endo, full armor, and double heats, I decided to put a flamer in the head slot instead of a SLAS. Since you're going to be brawling at knife range with a 4P anyway, I might as well increase the chances the other guy will overheat. Otherwise when my torsos get blown to shreds (happens all the time) it's pretty funny just running around and hugging the closest assault mech with my flamer on. :P

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Mine's on the Hunchback 4P, and a Commando. A combo of twin flamers seems to be the only way to go for me. Still collecting footage. Right now I'm downloading Starcraft firebat voices and just need 4 man premade with flamers to start a barbecue.

~Edit.~ Just to update you guys, I didn't get to drop at all last night. Still collecting footage. In the meantime I dumped about a gigabyte and a half of already developed videos into my youtube channel from the previous patches.

Edited by Koniving, 28 January 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

My montage isn't done yet (trouble getting good footage), however here's a few good matches using flamers!

Uploaded quite a bit more, however for those I ask you visit my channel down in my signature. :P

#17 Krellek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationGlendora, CA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostCorison, on 25 January 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

In theory PGI will improve them at some point, but they just don't 'get it' and so I have very little faith MG's will be useful in the near future let alone flamers. :P

Don't get what?

MG's are anti-ground personnel meant to keep infantry and ground flamers in check. They should do nill damage until armor is open and internals are exposed, at which point they begin to shred everything not metal.

Flamers are meant to over heat a mech. Cockpits are ovens and a flamer is supposed to cook who ever the pilot is. Ground flamers in theory could drop any mech on the field given the person carrying it doesn't get stepped on or shot. The heat generated by a mech being coated in flames was exponential and immediate.

That's how they work in canon anyway. They were utility. A semi singular purpose with occasional use in the field.

The point being that increasing their damage or overall function is likely to not make logical sense. Both the flamer and MG should be considered utility and treated as such because PGI can only go so far with them.

Edited by Krellek, 29 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#18 Draxa

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

In tabletop, flamers were also used to set the terrain on fire, creating some cover to hide behind. In mwo, useless except for flavor, like the MG.
Btw, I run a 3mg 3 mpl hunchie thats fun as heck, and actually does reasonably well.

#19 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostKrellek, on 29 January 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Don't get what?

I am not sure where your getting your sources, perhaps some 3rd party random book... But please take a look at the core rule set before commenting any further.. Stay focused please on the weapon damage tables. :P

#20 Krellek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationGlendora, CA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostCorison, on 29 January 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

I am not sure where your getting your sources, perhaps some 3rd party random book... But please take a look at the core rule set before commenting any further.. Stay focused please on the weapon damage tables. :P

I am referring to canon books, not TT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users