21 replies to this topic

#1 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 29 January 2023 - 06:57 PM

Sick of SoupQ, and bored with PvE MW5? Hated that Solaris wasn’t free for all? Good news! Was downloading all the mods I use for MW5 and I noticed this one.

Multiplayer Versus Alpha
https://www.nexusmod...naries/mods/794

Only first Alpha build released, so probably lots of bugs. Probably cannot use other mods, like YAML, but not sure. Looks to be only 4 man free for all. Give it a try!

I’m hoping to try out soon. Need to see if I can get three teammates to give this a try with me. They all gave up on MechWarrior a long time ago.

#2 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 03:35 AM

This thread was moved to MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries

#3 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 04:58 AM

Fantastic.

-Also too bad that he doesn't want to ever expand it beyond standard fps modes and small amount of players, he could have been the catalyst that pushed PGI to making a MWO2 dlc or made himself a nice little chunk of donation money.

Could make a nice little Solaris style mod out of what he's thinking though.

Edited by sycocys, 30 January 2023 - 05:05 AM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 06:24 AM

it was only a matter of time. i play in vr so only if the mods play nice. vr mod also seems to require an old version of the mod compatibility mod, which makes it not compatible with a lot of mods, ironically. it might work, idk.

#5 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 02 February 2023 - 09:12 PM

View Postsycocys, on 30 January 2023 - 04:58 AM, said:

Fantastic.

-Also too bad that he doesn't want to ever expand it beyond standard fps modes and small amount of players, he could have been the catalyst that pushed PGI to making a MWO2 dlc or made himself a nice little chunk of donation money.

Could make a nice little Solaris style mod out of what he's thinking though.

Its a mod so if the will is there someone else can modify it to add in more players or just design and entirely new mod now that the capability is known. Thats the beauty of modding in that as long as there is demand someone will make it if possible.

#6 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:56 AM

Russ more or less green flagged it to happen in the last podcast when he let everyone know that this iteration will not be given any further developments or a new version.

#7 TrooperManiac

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDirty Jersey

Posted 04 February 2023 - 11:18 AM

I was given the thumbs up to expand the scope of the mod. I plan on making 4v4 game modes and if it doesn't turn into a laggy bugfest I will try to add more however I am not planning on making a MWLL copy. I want to make mission types that include actual players trying to complete objectives. My inspiration for how this mod will turn out is a mix of old time splitters multiplayer game mod ideas and Mech commander ideas.

Edited by TrooperManiac, 04 February 2023 - 11:21 AM.

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 01:29 PM

We really don't need a MWLL clone, pvp MW5 playing over the missions and better maps the game already has would be a massive improvement the experience this game offers.

Would say that most of the missions in the game are probably more or less capable of pvp with some modifications like the size of capture zones.

#9 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 03:41 PM

Think of it like sort of an invasion mode like in Elden Ring maybe...i liked it.

#10 TrooperManiac

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDirty Jersey

Posted 04 February 2023 - 04:04 PM

View Postsycocys, on 04 February 2023 - 01:29 PM, said:

We really don't need a MWLL clone, pvp MW5 playing over the missions and better maps the game already has would be a massive improvement the experience this game offers.

Would say that most of the missions in the game are probably more or less capable of pvp with some modifications like the size of capture zones.
yep, I do plan on making a mode where players try to make you fail your mission but I don't wanna promise that yet. There is a loop of bugs I'm dealing with with getting my mod to work on co-op mission mode. Right now.

Edited by TrooperManiac, 04 February 2023 - 04:04 PM.

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 05:54 PM

View PostTrooperManiac, on 04 February 2023 - 04:04 PM, said:

yep, I do plan on making a mode where players try to make you fail your mission but I don't wanna promise that yet. There is a loop of bugs I'm dealing with with getting my mod to work on co-op mission mode. Right now.

Just a curiosity, but would it work better if you added a new mode and only pulled/duplicated the code you needed from coop? I don't have a big enough secondary drive yet on this rig to host the mod software so I haven't dug into what is accessible. Just thinking that it might clear out some of the bugs/restarting/save issues if it wasn't trying to override an existing mode.

Thanks for being bold enough to have a go at making it work, I haven't done any actual coding in years so about as deep as I imagined going myself was just to make new Hunchback variants.

#12 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 06 February 2023 - 07:18 AM

View PostTrooperManiac, on 04 February 2023 - 11:18 AM, said:

I was given the thumbs up to expand the scope of the mod. I plan on making 4v4 game modes and if it doesn't turn into a laggy bugfest I will try to add more however I am not planning on making a MWLL copy. I want to make mission types that include actual players trying to complete objectives. My inspiration for how this mod will turn out is a mix of old time splitters multiplayer game mod ideas and Mech commander ideas.

Awesome! Look forward to whatever you bring us. Thought this thread would be dead when admin moved it to this sub-forum. Left link to this mod on my team Discord. Hopefully some will decide to get back into MW5 so I can test to see if it works well with YAML and its associated mods. Looking forward to a possible night of Co-Op followed by free for all bashing.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 07:10 PM

i honestly haven't figured out how to play coop yet.

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 11:32 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 February 2023 - 07:10 PM, said:

i honestly haven't figured out how to play coop yet.

Truly a shame they didn't make a simple chat lobby to connect to for the players that want to go at coop.

#15 TrooperManiac

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDirty Jersey

Posted 16 February 2023 - 08:54 PM

I requested PGI to add a plugin that will help me make a proper server browser. If they add it they can help make this mod MUCH better. Here's to hoping they come through for us. In any case here's a preview of the new spawning system that's going to make it in the next patch soon.

https://vimeo.com/799611049

There is so much work being done behind the scenes it's crazy.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 05:47 AM

View PostTrooperManiac, on 16 February 2023 - 08:54 PM, said:

I requested PGI to add a plugin that will help me make a proper server browser. If they add it they can help make this mod MUCH better. Here's to hoping they come through for us. In any case here's a preview of the new spawning system that's going to make it in the next patch soon.

https://vimeo.com/799611049

There is so much work being done behind the scenes it's crazy.

That's some hella good work you got going on already man! That will make the drop deck guys happy for sure.

#17 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, sometimes you think PGI does NOT want to have success...Posted Image

#18 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:03 AM

MW:5 does have multiplayer its called Co-Op. if you want PVP play MWO, its free. keep the two separate.

#19 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:05 AM

The vast assortment of mods makes a "lobby" kind of pointless, since you have to match up your mods.

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 05:17 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 19 February 2023 - 08:03 AM, said:

MW:5 does have multiplayer its called Co-Op. if you want PVP play MWO, its free. keep the two separate.

This game is old, doesn't look all that great, and will never get any meaningful further development. If a guy wants to make a pvp version on a platform that can be modded pretty much indefinitely - with better maps, graphics overall really, and actual missions/modes to play out, let him have at it.
Worst case is he releases a version that a chunk of us that aren't spending money here anymore head over to play. Best case is that enough of us jump over to his mod that Russ pulls his head out of his hind end and DLC's this game to the new system.

View Postkalashnikity, on 12 March 2023 - 08:05 AM, said:

The vast assortment of mods makes a "lobby" kind of pointless, since you have to match up your mods.

The way most games (and as far as I'm aware MW5 as well) deal with this is that the host sets the parameters, if its assets packs that are needed on the other clients systems they need to download them. It's really not a hard thing to deal with, and a lobby makes setting up any mods players want to have running far easier.
-For this PVP mod, I'd probably just suggest that it be the only mod running. If it gets enough traction other features or mech builds can just be built in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users