#1 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:02 PM

And they are surprisingly effective.

The only thing that i change is the following:

-Max armor
-Switching from std to lfe or xl, but same engine capacity.
-Compacting weapons in 3 groups
*srm and lrm if both are present become 1 mrm
*machine guns are utterly useless unless boated so they get removed(anti infantry and vehicles, which are not present in the game)
*If more than 3 types of weapon i'll try to compact them by switching med with ermeds to group with large lasers.

It's fun and effective, i am actually surprised

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

I'm not sure if you know what stock means...

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

View PostNightbird, on 15 January 2020 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you know what stock means...

What the OP is doing can't even be called SuperStock with the drastic weapon changes.

#4 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

Guys you can't blame me for being able to press only 3 mouse buttons, cmon!!!! The weapons are basically the same except for some rare occurencies with certain variants sporting 9 different weapon systems.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

View PostDashen, on 15 January 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

Guys you can't blame me for being able to press only 3 mouse buttons, cmon!!!! The weapons are basically the same except for some rare occurencies with certain variants sporting 9 different weapon systems.

We don't blame you, we're just clarifying that the word "stock" has very specific connotations.

Some changes like going from standard to ER lasers/PPCs or removing a random solitary Small Laser make sense but going from LRM/SRM to MRM is definitely outside the scope of SuperStock.

#6 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

So stock, except where they suck and you fix them :P I also run stock on my 'Mechs, except I switch to endo and dhs where applicable, redistribute armour and weapons, and swap out the engine...

#7 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

Not sure if OP is trolling, or just unfamiliar with the English language...

I'm hoping trolling. Since customization is one of the game's few high points, I always cry a little inside when people play stock outside of private matches anyway, unless of course they're on the other team.

#8 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

Considering the average public game pilot, I doubt they're trolling.

#9 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

I run stock, the only things I change are
weapons
armor values
armor type
engine
structure
heatsinks
guidance
case
omnipods
actuators
sensors
skills
ammo
consumables

But no decals, and rarely paint and pattern.
Ok, maybe its superdupercalifragilisticexpialidociousstock

#10 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

I had no idea I was playing stock mechs all this time

#11 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

Only stock build I've ever found that i liked is the Javlin 11F and i still adjusted armor so not stock.

#12 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:20 PM

I never liked the word Stock . Why not primary config or factory loadout ?

Edited by DarkFhoenix, 15 January 2020 - 11:22 PM.

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:43 PM

I always considered "Super-Stock" to mean engine, armor, ES, FF, DHS, and ammo levels, but the weapons had to be left alone because the offensive loadout was really what defined a given variant and made it iconic. A RFL-3N just isn't a RFL-3N if it has anything other than paired AC5s, LLs, and MLs. A UM-R60 must have an AC10 and a SL. An ADR-Prime must have 2xERPPC and a Flamer. HBK-IIC carries dual UAC20 and dual ERML, no ifs, ands, or buts. Carry the iconic loadout, but make a bunch of changes under the hood so that it isn't terribad.

But... stock stock? Nah fam, you buy it, configure the firing chains, and drop. No hardware changes whatsoever.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 15 January 2020 - 11:46 PM.

#14 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:10 AM

1. I never understood why running stock mech builds, designed for RNG Tabletop turn based gameplay, is considered "elite" in an realtime FPS game with people actually beeing able to hit specific locations.
2. Customizing and trying different loadouts is a hell lot of fun and i couldnt think of running the same old build day in day out.

#15 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:42 AM

View PostFupDup, on 15 January 2020 - 02:13 PM, said:

We don't blame you, we're just clarifying that the word "stock" has very specific connotations.

Some changes like going from standard to ER lasers/PPCs or removing a random solitary Small Laser make sense but going from LRM/SRM to MRM is definitely outside the scope of SuperStock.

It just happens if that particular stock variants has too many weapon systems, if it has lrms, srm, and say medium lasers i just keep them because it still can be done with 3 weapon groups.

I should have clarified that better as i made it sound that i do it everytime.

#16 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

View PostKotzi, on 16 January 2020 - 12:10 AM, said:

1. I never understood why running stock mech builds, designed for RNG Tabletop turn based gameplay, is considered "elite" in an realtime FPS game with people actually beeing able to hit specific locations.

Hol up...

I’ve been around for a while. I’ve seen the actual elite of this game repeatedly express contempt and disdain, to, at best, occasional bemusement with people who -outside of last years WC, a private lobby or a drunken theme night- actually run stock builds. But I’ve NEVER encountered anyone who thinks running stock builds in this game is considered “elite”. Like, are you telling me that all the contempt we have repeatedly heard over the years for people who leave LRMs on an Atlas was actually some sort of masked awe for these “elite” players? That even I could have been “elite” if I just ignored all the advice over the years to min/max, play the meta, for the love of mechajesus at least use the builds on grimmechs, etc.?!! I feel so lost now.

#17 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:21 AM

guys,guys...you are missing the point of the threa, the point is that playing with a stock build obviously modified to accomodate MWO PVP FPS standard is fun and can be actually effective.

Like the KC-000 ( i think) has 2 ac20, 1 lrm15 and 1 large laser, and it's effective...is it meta? no, does it work? yes

#18 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:26 AM

Bud, I've seen what Kotzi is talking about. The excuses for running stock are usually as follows-

1-"I'm too good at this game, meta makes it too easy, so I'm going to run stock for a challenge to inflate my e-peen."

2- "I'm actually terrible at this game and I don't really want to learn how to get better, I can't figure out how or why meta builds work so well so I won't bother, if I just play stock then I can use that as my excuse for why I'm under-performing every match."

3- "I'm really a TT player with no business playing an online shooter, but I love the lore and IP and I'll play anything BT. I can't be bothered to acknowledge that this is an online, competitive team game, so I try to apply my TT logic and rules to a game they have no place in, regardless of how it affects my team, match outcome, etc. I then talk down to anyone who isn't a TT player, even as they destroy me game after game and I let team after team down."

Stock is for private matches and inter/intra-unit events, it should have no place in QP, FP or anywhere we have to actually see it or deal with it. That said, it's a dying F2P game, people will do what they want, no matter who suffers. Is what it is.

#19 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:32 AM

View PostKodyn, on 16 January 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

Bud, I've seen what Kotzi is talking about. The excuses for running stock are usually as follows-

1-"I'm too good at this game, meta makes it too easy, so I'm going to run stock for a challenge to inflate my e-peen."

2- "I'm actually terrible at this game and I don't really want to learn how to get better, I can't figure out how or why meta builds work so well so I won't bother, if I just play stock then I can use that as my excuse for why I'm under-performing every match."

3- "I'm really a TT player with no business playing an online shooter, but I love the lore and IP and I'll play anything BT. I can't be bothered to acknowledge that this is an online, competitive team game, so I try to apply my TT logic and rules to a game they have no place in, regardless of how it affects my team, match outcome, etc. I then talk down to anyone who isn't a TT player, even as they destroy me game after game and I let team after team down."

Stock is for private matches and inter/intra-unit events, it should have no place in QP, FP or anywhere we have to actually see it or deal with it. That said, it's a dying F2P game, people will do what they want, no matter who suffers. Is what it is.

What does that have to do with this thread?

#20 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:35 AM

OP, I'm glad you're having fun. Your teammates probably aren't, but whatever, it's your money. If you can perform decently in those terrible loadouts, you'd be performing that much better in real builds.

That's what everyone's point is- any form of stock or intentionally not building intelligently is going to punish your teammates, so not many people are going to be all that excited by your findings. It's an online PvP game. Winning is the point. You can choose to play sub-optimally if that's what you enjoy most, just don't expect a whole lot of people to encourage or applaud you for it.

Good hunting either way.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users