21 replies to this topic

#21 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 18 January 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

IIRC, MLC is actually more durable than TLC, so that could explain it.

Really, though, it's the controller and the OS's ability to use it that matters the most.

For non-industrial server use, it doesn't matter. TLC memory is rated for 5,000 writes, MLC for 10,000 writes. For a 1TB SSD, it means you have to writes 5,000TB or 10,000TB respectively to reach the durability limits. Most of you will die of old age before reaching that on your personal PC.

More likely some other part of your computer will fail and you will replace it, or you will simply upgrade, before your SSD wears out. For cheaper SSDs, what fails isn't the flash memory, but some other component.

Edited by Nightbird, 18 January 2020 - 12:10 PM.

#22 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

View PostB L O O D W I T C H, on 17 January 2020 - 04:23 AM, said:

Rebooting takes me 15 seconds or so. The Problem is the mechlab taking forever to let me proceed. I got 150ish mechs on this account and it sometimes takes more than a minute until that obligatory event page pops up.

Actually just tried.
Rebooting took me all in all 21 seconds, go away steam, go away razor.
Clicking MWO's launcher and play.
Mashing ESC cuz' stupid nvidia logo etc.
Hack in my password and then i had to wait another 49 seconds until mechlab was loading in.
Assuming it would still take some seconds to rejoin and load the map i'd say it's gotten be pretty darn close to 2 min.

*rant*
I mean, sorry that "MY" client closed but what more could i do?

Already running a stupid M.2 NVMe 1.2 SSD directly mounted on my stupid motherboard hogging 4 (FOUR!) PCIe 3.0 lanes at once to shovel more then 3 gigabytes per second. It already has a whole gigabyte memory cache and if that's somehow not enough, i still got 32 gigabytes more of 3200MHz DDR4 ram with 14 CL latency.

Call me stupid but the whole MWO installation is "only" 22 gigabyte.
My system can theoretically go through that in less than 7 seconds flat.
I can create a god darn copy of it in less than a minute.
WTF takes more than a minute AFTER i already loaded the game?!
Gotta be some weird compression and/or server sync going on.

WTF am i supposed to do? Is running end of the line consumer grade not enough? Do i need to run a raid config to dodge disconnect penalty? Do i need professional storage equipment?

Luckily, i don't give a crap about XP or Cbills anymore but that extremely stupid "YoU GotTa wAiT 7 sEcOnDs BeCuZ' u'Ve BeEn ToO SluUuUwW" is triggering the hell outta me.

No, i have NOT been too slow. It's your goddarn client which is too f'ing slow.

*/rant*

okay.. i'm better now. That felt good.

Taht is because MWO downloads the whole database everytime. Real load time inflation is the download from their servers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users