30 replies to this topic

#21 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

View Post_Magno_, on 20 January 2020 - 05:05 AM, said:

You are in a slowish mech on a canyoned map; either Hibernal Rift, Canyon, Bog or even the frozen cities.
Your lance moves to meet up and form a murder ball. I feel compelled to stay close to the lance, as I've learned to never, ....never go off alone as slow mech, even if I'm max armor assault.

Some other good advice in this thread, definitely listen to jman, he knows what he's talking about.

To build on one of his points. When you're piloting a slow assault it's important to move towards where your team will be rather than where your team is. You're too slow to be chasing the tail of the team and that will just lead to getting picked off when the inevitable nascar starts.

Instead, know where your team is headed (or better yet, lead your team to a good position) and move there ahead of them. Going off along is a bad idea, but don't feel obligated to hang with you lancemates, if they are making poor decisions leave them behind, hopefully if you move quickly they will follow you. Also, getting a bit ahead of your lance can be okay as long as you are within their weapons range. Even if you leave your lance behind, the rest of your team should be moving to where you are headed and will help protect your back as they move in behind.

Try to learn where your team is headed and to get there ahead of them, don't stop and shoot while you move. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference moving with purpose makes.

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 21 January 2020 - 02:48 AM, said:

I'll stop you right there, because this is a big misconception that leads to often failure.

If you want to be an effective assault pilot you absolutely have to dictate the terms of engagement to the enemy. That means you have to be agressive and press that W button a lot, forcing the fight upon the enemy where and when it is advantageous to you. Not wait till they do the same to you, because when they do, your team, that you try to "stay with" will run away. And you won't, because you are slower than they are.

So, do not wait around your team. Go forward, be agressive, shoot stuff. If anything that shows your team that you aren't one of those backrow useless assaults who hangs back and dies to the first Locust that comes by. They will be more likely to support you, and an agressive push by an assault supported by others is more often than not swings the game in your favor.

agree with balls to the wall, speed is life even in an assault. knowing the maps well also helps as you can plot faster paths with better cover.

as for leading the pack, thats usually far from possible in some situations (staying at the front of a nascar isnt always a possibility) and suicidal in others (often other players wont follow an assault that chooses to commit to a fight, you dont want to be the only one doing in a do or die situation). you do want to be setting the pace of battle though, because if you don't someone else will.

that said there's nothing i enjoy more than aggressive play. i mean if il do an attrition battle if i have the right loadout, but that only happens in fp where i have a loadout picked for the map, or if i get really lucky (if you call getting stuck in an attrition battle lucky) in qp. but if i have an option to be aggressive i will jump on it no matter how many holdbacks the team has.

#23 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 January 2020 - 07:20 PM, said:

as for leading the pack, thats usually far from possible in some situations (staying at the front of a nascar isnt always a possibility) and suicidal in others (often other players wont follow an assault that chooses to commit to a fight, you dont want to be the only one doing in a do or die situation). you do want to be setting the pace of battle though, because if you don't someone else will.

It's not about leading the NASCAR (though you'd be surprised how often I've managed it in assaults) it's about thinking ahead and moving to where you need to be in 30-60s, not moving to where you think you should be right now. It's like leading a moving target. If you shoot right at the target you will miss, but if you aim in front you'll end up in the right spot. People understand this when it comes to weapons, but tend to be sorely lacking when it comes to movement and positioning. Movement is often reactionary not predictive.

#24 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

Pick out the most dangerous enemy and shoot off one of his legs. Congrats, your death was not vain.

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

View PostXiphias, on 21 January 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

It's not about leading the NASCAR (though you'd be surprised how often I've managed it in assaults) it's about thinking ahead and moving to where you need to be in 30-60s, not moving to where you think you should be right now. It's like leading a moving target. If you shoot right at the target you will miss, but if you aim in front you'll end up in the right spot. People understand this when it comes to weapons, but tend to be sorely lacking when it comes to movement and positioning. Movement is often reactionary not predictive.

its something ive done in my ultraviolet on more than one occasion. its a good place to be in such a beast of a mech. i always equate piloting assaults to playing chess. you need to think several moves ahead.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 January 2020 - 12:49 PM.

#26 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

Or use ECM, wait for the nascar to turn their back to you and to some assault backstabbing. Bring 1-2 friends to wipe the whole enemy team.

My favorite is marauder iic with 2x gauss, 2x er laser, 2x streak or for close combat, fafnirs with ECM, all of them are awesome. I still prefer hero or the 2x hvy gauss 3x mplaser

Edited by Quandoo, 23 January 2020 - 01:32 PM.

#27 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:38 AM

The OP doesn't mention nascar, now does he ? The situation he so accurately describes happens and can develop without nascar. OP: IMHO you cannot deal with the "inevitability of being killed" because you are dependend on the situal awareness of your team. If they are good they will keep an eye on you and help you insofar you do not postion yourself foolishly (which you do not do as you describe). All this assumes communication which is often absent or disfunctional.
Life sucks at times.

#28 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

My original post is often times in NON-NASCAR situations.

lately I've been dealing with the frustration of dealing 800+ damage no kills and losses.

#29 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 26 January 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

My original post is often times in NON-NASCAR situations.

lately I've been dealing with the frustration of dealing 800+ damage no kills and losses.

Posted Image
800dmg should do at least a kill, most likely 2, even when not properly aiming.
do you by chance use.. lock-on-weapons .. exclusively?

#30 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 26 January 2020 - 10:58 AM, said:

Posted Image
800dmg should do at least a kill, most likely 2, even when not properly aiming.
do you by chance use.. lock-on-weapons .. exclusively?

A number of possibilities here, because LRMs or Streaks would surely secure kills due to their stream of damage nature. I think first and foremost these sorts of matches are uncommon, but frustrating enough to stick in OP's mind. He could also just be having the worst luck; dumping an alpha and coring someone only to have to wait for weapon cooldown while Timmy Killstealer pops out and finishes off the kill.

#31 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

You could try powering down and presenting opfor a nicely formatted resume.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users