Ecm And Instalock?

8 replies to this topic

#1 RacerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

I've been playing ECM and stealth mechs the last two weeks. I've noticed that not are missile locks happening super fast but, when I run out of line of site, the locks persist. This is happening towards the beginning of the match where the teams are still meet each other so I know it's not a stealth spotter, UAV, or tag. It's too early in the game to get caught with that. Anyone else noticing the same thing? I spent a week running a stealth Raven and found the same thing. Did PGI change how ECM and stealth work, again...?

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,068 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

Sounds like narc to me. As long as it's active missile fire will track you,you'll be on the mini-map to the whole enemy to see regardless of ecm/stealth. The old trick of powering down might get rid of it. You just have to take cover when one hits you. I've been on both sides of narc many times. You can bet if there is a half aware lrm/atm boater they will focus fire on a narc target over all others.

A stealth mech with narc seems to be the culprit. You'll have a very small narc indicator on your hud if you've been hit by one. They last roughly 30 seconds to a minute depending on the mech quirks and skill trees of the mech that fired it. Once narced all you can do is wait it out.

Edit: stealth com mech or a lct would have the speed to narc very early in match. I've lost track of all the lights with ecm/stealth but I'm aware its normally IS light mechs that have stealth and crutch it the most.

Edited by JediPanther, 23 January 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#3 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

@OP I don't have all the answers, but here goes.

ECM just reduces enemy targeting range. Get the ECM skills to maximse the effect.
Some enemy mechs have longer sensor range than others, which can be boosted I believe with things (like Targeting Computa perhaps).

So with ECM mechs you kinda have to kite the enemies sensors to not get locked. Locks happen for a reason, never have I seen a lock happen without some type of line of sight/narc/UAV.

The persistence usually comes from the Mech Skills tree in the form of the "Target Decay" skills, which can be totally countered with the "Radar Deprivation Skill".

The "Target Decay" skill delays the loss of target lock by 0.7 seconds per skill point (Up to 5 for 3.5 seconds me guesses) once LOS is lost. Good skill for indirect fire lermers.

The "Radar Deprivation Skill" skill increses the loss of target lock by 20% per skill point, with up to 5 points for 100% instant loss of target lock once LOS is lost. Good skill for direct fire pokers, when fighting alotta lermiez.

If you get hit by a ppc your lockable stealth or no, due to deactivation of ECM which stealth requires to function.

Thats all I got.
Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 23 January 2020 - 09:24 PM.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:56 PM

No recent changes to ecm, no. But since the missile rework, ecm does not affect lock-on times in LOS when the enemy is in any way able to target you (TAG, Narc, PPC hit, close distance (doesnt apply to stealthed mechs)).

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:04 PM

Battle Computer of the Cyclops provides sensor range bonus to all allied 'Mechs (within certain distance).

#6 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

ECM does not provide any sort of radar deprivation unless you toggle stealth

So if you are being locked with ECM on, dive behind cover, and still get hit by missiles...its possible that the missile user has target retention skills

radar derp on an ecm mech isn't totally useless

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 23 January 2020 - 08:16 PM, said:

Sounds like narc to me. As long as it's active missile fire will track you,you'll be on the mini-map to the whole enemy to see regardless of ecm/stealth. The old trick of powering down might get rid of it. You just have to take cover when one hits you. I've been on both sides of narc many times. You can bet if there is a half aware lrm/atm boater they will focus fire on a narc target over all others.

A stealth mech with narc seems to be the culprit. You'll have a very small narc indicator on your hud if you've been hit by one. They last roughly 30 seconds to a minute depending on the mech quirks and skill trees of the mech that fired it. Once narced all you can do is wait it out.

I had the odd incident yesterday when I was narc'd, ran off, shutdown and continued to receive salvos after the inital one from shutting down (missiles currently in flight will still track to where you are shutdown). This continued till I was destroyed. I had considered TAG but I was surrounded by allies covering most firing angles.

Was thinking my brain wasn't working and Narc continued during shutdown.

#8 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Dumb Fire LUrms are a thing.

Not a very good thing, but a thing none the less.

View PostRacerX, on 23 January 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

I've been playing ECM and stealth mechs the last two weeks. I've noticed that not are missile locks happening super fast but, when I run out of line of site, the locks persist. This is happening towards the beginning of the match where the teams are still meet each other so I know it's not a stealth spotter, UAV, or tag. It's too early in the game to get caught with that. Anyone else noticing the same thing? I spent a week running a stealth Raven and found the same thing. Did PGI change how ECM and stealth work, again...?

Try sharing armor.

Edited by OmniFail, 25 January 2020 - 05:50 PM.

#9 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 January 2020 - 05:07 PM, said:

I had the odd incident yesterday when I was narc'd, ran off, shutdown and continued to receive salvos after the inital one from shutting down (missiles currently in flight will still track to where you are shutdown). This continued till I was destroyed. I had considered TAG but I was surrounded by allies covering most firing angles.

Was thinking my brain wasn't working and Narc continued during shutdown.

Well NARC works even if you shutdown... So, working normally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users