Are Developers Still Working On Mwo?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Angel Devereaux

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:49 AM

Been away for a while, seems like there hasn't been and DEV updates on the game since 2018, did they pull all resources for MW5?

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:53 AM

stay tuned for a dev update this week (maybe)

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:56 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 27 January 2020 - 02:53 AM, said:

stay tuned for a dev update this week (maybe)

You mean the podcast? It won't be on the NGNG TV, will it?

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:04 AM

nope, discord
https://twitter.com/...869697752551426

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 27 January 2020 - 03:04 AM.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:59 AM

Russ Bullock
@russ_bullock Jan 24
Well to be clear the main topic is an update on modding on MW5 for sure but I can say a few works on MWO

MWO is only worth a few words. This should answer your question.

Do you want to buy a dlc pack?

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 January 2020 - 04:00 AM.

#6 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:20 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 27 January 2020 - 03:59 AM, said:

Do you want to buy a dlc pack?

The game is in maintenance mode, but I wish there were new mechs (even if just for exporting them later to MW5 and HBS BT).
Wasp, Crusader and Longbow (for IS) and Firemoth and Stone Rhino (for the Clans) are essential mechs, and still missing.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:37 AM

View PostOdanan, on 27 January 2020 - 04:20 AM, said:

The game is in maintenance mode, but I wish there were new mechs (even if just for exporting them later to MW5 and HBS BT).
Wasp, Crusader and Longbow (for IS) and Firemoth and Stone Rhino (for the Clans) are essential mechs, and still missing
You forgot Stinger... :)

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:06 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 27 January 2020 - 03:04 AM, said:

Jan was meant to be when MWO was getting an update about what was going to be happening moving forward.

That has obviously been pushed, yet again, because the MW5 Mod Tools are a bit of a disaster given the Mod Tools are not true mod tools, they are extremely limited.

So that means MWO prob wont get any words till Feb. Given nothing has happened for basically 9 months... I don't hold much hope for anything major and/or positive...

Given that - and a lot of MWO issues are balance (weapons, mech mobilty etc etc) and those are all basic XML edits, hand it over to the players! We TRIED to help a couple years back, didn't get anywhere and the population nose dived because of some super bad balance in 2018...

Who knows really... MWO could still have a much healthier population IMO. Skill Maze / Desync and mass LRM Buffs were 3 bad moves.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:28 AM

yo dog we heard you like updates so we gave you an update about our updates.

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:34 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 January 2020 - 06:06 AM, said:

Jan was meant to be when MWO was getting an update about what was going to be happening moving forward.

That has obviously been pushed, yet again, because the MW5 Mod Tools are a bit of a disaster given the Mod Tools are not true mod tools, they are extremely limited.

So that means MWO prob wont get any words till Feb. Given nothing has happened for basically 9 months... I don't hold much hope for anything major and/or positive...

Given that - and a lot of MWO issues are balance (weapons, mech mobilty etc etc) and those are all basic XML edits, hand it over to the players! We TRIED to help a couple years back, didn't get anywhere and the population nose dived because of some super bad balance in 2018...

Who knows really... MWO could still have a much healthier population IMO. Skill Maze / Desync and mass LRM Buffs were 3 bad moves.

mwo could be a lot better if people were allowed to mod it and make maps for it. the mw5 mod tools appear to be an overzealous pak file extractor. ive modded games where you dont even need that. like it was all models, textures, text files, and sound files if you were into that sort of thing. all needs filled by blender, gimp, notepad++, and audacity respectively. modding is usually stupid simple if you cut out all the ********.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 January 2020 - 06:37 AM.

#11 n00biwan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK...

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:03 AM

If they DO do a balance pass... lock up your IV4s...those quirks are OP :D

#12 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:57 AM

If they say yes, the true answer is no

If they say no, the true answer is servers will shut down soon.

#13 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 January 2020 - 06:34 AM, said:

mwo could be a lot better if people were allowed to mod it and make maps for it. the mw5 mod tools appear to be an overzealous pak file extractor. ive modded games where you dont even need that. like it was all models, textures, text files, and sound files if you were into that sort of thing. all needs filled by blender, gimp, notepad++, and audacity respectively. modding is usually stupid simple if you cut out all the ********.

How would would MODs be managed in an Online game?

What MODs could players make as an example? These would have to be server MODs and not stand alone machine based MODs, unless they were aesthetic.

#14 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

When playing MWO, I've personally enjoyed the last months of no more annoying balance changes. IMO, that was the good side of this maintenance mode.

Still the game is not asymmetrically balanced or anything, some weapons, builds or mechs, just suck to be used and you see plenty of meta-users holding to well performing mechs, with builds that work almost always. (just almost all the time because the menace of the current matchmaker continuesPosted Image)

The population dwindles or stays in low numbers. At times, even the wait for a quick-match, increases unusually.

Since MW5 came out and the new year began, I could expect the bad news of PGI pulling the plug from offering the game. Hope that's not the case for now.

Who knows what will happen this year...

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

Wasp, Crusader and Longbow (for IS) and Firemoth and Stone Rhino (for the Clans) are essential mechs, and still missing.

I don't see any IS-Omnis or quad on that list...

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

The game is in maintenance hospice mode...

Fixed.

#17 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:12 PM

russ...few words

translation...rip mwo mw5 now on

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

View Post_Magno_, on 27 January 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

What MODs could players make as an example? These would have to be server MODs and not stand alone machine based MODs, unless they were aesthetic.

same way its done on every other multiplayer game with mods. like the way starcraft 2 had custom games. automatic map transfer was a feature that og quake had. probibly would be limited with mwo though, possibly maps only, and only in unranked custom games. pgi could even do a rent a server system and turn a profit.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 January 2020 - 04:38 PM.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:19 PM

View Post_Magno_, on 27 January 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

Even just maps... That would be enough.

Let the community make damn maps. Put them into a test area, the top 10 voted - only 2 make into live. Let people play them / test them over 2 months etc. Have a set 24hr window once a week/feedback etc.

Attach a caveat that if you put in deliberate cheats (like walls you can walk through etc), you get your account suspended... Stop any tom foolery and carelessness.

Job done. You get 2 new maps every quarter basically.

Russ said it cost 250k per map. I bet a single person could have them made in less than 90 days.

#20 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

I still playing Killing Floor 2 and I play a new map almost every session. Lol.

"But Killing Floor isn't free to play!"

I've spent considerably more money on MWO than I have on the KF2 purchase. There's zero income lost sourcing map creation to the community. If anything it's a generator if income as it aids in player retention and creates interest for new players. None of the excuses PGI or their defenders have given over the years really hold water.

"But what if someone hides boob pics or swears in a map!"

That's what play testing is for. It's also what "online play is not rated" is for.

All it comes down to is PGI simply being clueless, ineffective and incompetent. Oh, and then slap a gigantic ego on top.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users