34 replies to this topic

#1 Bastionk

• Pip
  • Sergeant II
  • Sergeant II
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

@PGI

I do enjoy playing this game from time to time. I would like to play with friends, preferably in the Quick Play mode. The problem: Group queue seems to be dead. Queue wait times seem to literally go on forever(I think we waited 20 minutes and gave up).

Assuming this is a player population issue(which seems most likely), I suggest combining the solo queue and the group queue, in the following fashion.

*Limit player group sizes to 4 players maximum

*Set the queue to put a 4 player group(if available) on each team, then fill out the roster with solo players

*If there are not enough solo players in the queue at the time, add another 4 player group to each team, then fill out roster with solo players.

*If no groups a in the queue, then just fill up both teams with solo players

I admit, this idea may need some fine tuning, but I think you get what I hope to accomplish.

This seems to me to be a decent compromise, at least for now. It will allow people who want to drop together to still get into a game in a reasonable amount of time, while still preventing 8,10, or even 12 man groups from queuing up and rolling an opposing team of PUGs. It'll even have a decent chance of putting groups trying to sync drop(as separate groups) on opposing teams.

-------------

I got to thinking that I do really like this game, but even I know I'd rather not just bring a new player in since we can't even get a game when trying to drop in the group queue. Even if we could, we're likely to to run into another large team and get rolled.(Which is a good thing to get used to, but is a tough sell for a newer, uncommitted player) So I got to brainstorming and this seemed like a solid and elegant idea.

#2 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Merging queues = big no no.

I'd rather see group queue dropped down to 8v8.

Permit solo's to opt in to the group queue but have the matchmaker prioritise groups over pugs.

What we really need is an overhaul of the group system to facilitate lance formations.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

View PostBastionk, on 28 January 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

Absolutely not.

EVER.

Thankfully MWO is in Maintenance mode and suggestions like this that would further decimate what is left of the population - won't ever happen.

#4 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

solo qp is the only place players who don't want to team play can go. Right now there is a game mode for them, and a game mode available if you wish to team play (faction play)

it doesn't make sense to turn solo qp into farming grounds for strong 4 mans

#5 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostBastionk, on 28 January 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

@PGI

I do enjoy playing this game from time to time. I would like to play with friends, preferably in the Quick Play mode. The problem: Group queue seems to be dead. Queue wait times seem to literally go on forever(I think we waited 20 minutes and gave up).

Assuming this is a player population issue(which seems most likely), I suggest combining the solo queue and the group queue, in the following fashion.

*Limit player group sizes to 4 players maximum

*Set the queue to put a 4 player group(if available) on each team, then fill out the roster with solo players

*If there are not enough solo players in the queue at the time, add another 4 player group to each team, then fill out roster with solo players.

I admit, this idea may need some fine tuning, but I think you get what I hope to accomplish.

This seems to me to be a decent compromise, at least for now. It will allow people who want to drop together to still get into a game in a reasonable amount of time, while still preventing 8,10, or even 12 man groups from queuing up and rolling an opposing team of PUGs. It'll even have a decent chance of putting groups trying to sync drop(as separate groups) on opposing teams.

-------------

I got to thinking that I do really like this game, but even I know I'd rather not just bring a new player in since we can't even get a game when trying to drop in the group queue. Even if we could, we're likely to to run into another large team and get rolled.(Which is a good thing to get used to, but is a tough sell for a newer, uncommitted player) So I got to brainstorming and this seemed like a solid and elegant idea.

Mixing group and solo in QP is a bad idea. FW allows group play, so once a player has 8 mechs they can play in a group. That's not a terribly high bar.

Also, you can always play in private lobbies, though that's not super productive for new players because there are no cbill or do earnings, but if you use lobbies to teach fundamentals that's fine.

#6 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

8v8 is cancer.

Copy paste FP matchmaker to GQ. Let solos opt in.

#7 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:20 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 28 January 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

8v8 is cancer.

Copy paste FP matchmaker to GQ. Let solos opt in.

Yep... Finish the nearly dead boy...

I mean mixing queue is just going to send more whine in the forum.

Continue to synch drop or just move to FP if you really want to play group.

Most of us already don't enjoy farming in QP but merging is not going to help on that.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

It's been suggested before to let solos opt into GQ but never to put GQ into SQ. If you want, you could restrict the GQ to 4-man groups and then.... there's the MM.... (hahahahaha Posted Image )

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:46 AM

The problem I see is that very small groups like 2 people who want to play together can't find anything on both ends. QP-Sync drops...never dropped together. FP...greate we are beeing seal clubbed again.

I don't see a problem with 4 people groups in QP. Should you realy have a 4 man farming team the game is over fast enough and you can go into the next match. Still it would allow casual players that just want to drop together with 2-4 people for a quick game in the evening to have a place too.

#10 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:37 AM

Just make solos be able to opt into GQ rather than the other way around. This way, when streamers do GQ Saturdays or something, they won't be running into the same people all the time and people like me can get to play with all of the groups.

#11 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:39 AM

I think this guy has never been Final Boss'ed, or he would understand the ramifications of what he is asking for.

Edited by Vxheous, 29 January 2020 - 02:40 AM.

#12 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:44 AM

The solution for MWO's group que is simple - MWO2.

Nothing short of that will bring the players back.. and lack of players is the main reason why Group Que is dead.

Simple as that.

#13 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:45 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 29 January 2020 - 02:44 AM, said:

The solution for MWO's group que is simple - MWO2.

Nothing short of that will bring the players back.. and lack of players is the main reason why Group Que is dead.

Simple as that.

MWO2 is not going to bring players back, PGI has lost trust, proven with how poorly MW5 has gone.

#14 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:55 AM

View PostVxheous, on 29 January 2020 - 02:45 AM, said:

MWO2 is not going to bring players back, PGI has lost trust, proven with how poorly MW5 has gone.

How poorly has MW5 gone?

#15 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:09 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 29 January 2020 - 02:55 AM, said:

How poorly has MW5 gone?

Pretty poorly, I would say. The reviews have been lackluster, the gameplay is redundant, the AI is bad, and the story was thrown in as an after thought (as admitted by Russ himself). They are literally relying on modders to fix the game for them.

#16 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:57 AM

Ah, allright. Thought PGI or Epic would have released sales figures to see how good or bad MW5 has gone.

I mean, Mass Effect Andromeda has sold well even though it's pretty mediocre.

#17 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 29 January 2020 - 02:37 AM, said:

Just make solos be able to opt into GQ rather than the other way around. This way, when streamers do GQ Saturdays or something, they won't be running into the same people all the time and people like me can get to play with all of the groups.

Wouldn't that just create another bucket when people have to do an extra checker box to be added to GQ as well as SQ?
Also concidering how people hate clicking I can allready hear people scream "No not another click". ^_^

I think it would be better if the MM would instead first search in GQ and after, lets say 5min there isn't a match then small groups are handed over to SQ MM. Still longer wait times but its an easier process.

View PostThorn Hallis, on 29 January 2020 - 03:57 AM, said:

Yes bad reviews and mediocre games don't necessarly have something to say about sales numbers. I would also say that "good" sales numbers are dependent on who you look at. Numbers that are good for PGI might be terrible for another publisher.

#18 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:26 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 29 January 2020 - 03:57 AM, said:

Yes, it sold well enough for the DLC to be cancelled, the entire series put on ice, and the studio that made it to be shut down.

#19 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:34 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 29 January 2020 - 04:46 AM, said:

Wouldn't that just create another bucket when people have to do an extra checker box to be added to GQ as well as SQ?
Also concidering how people hate clicking I can allready hear people scream "No not another click". Posted Image

I think it would be better if the MM would instead first search in GQ and after, lets say 5min there isn't a match then small groups are handed over to SQ MM. Still longer wait times but its an easier process.

The problem is that the MM is really bad. You can see how a match turns out when just two people coordinate well. Just imagine the number of QQ posts complaining about pre-made groups stomping in QP.

As for creating multiple buckets, it actually doesn't. Just like how we can select which server to play on, solos can simply opt into GQ. It'll be quite similar to FW but faster matches and no respawns. This way, friends can play together without having to worry about drop decks and so on.

#20 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:03 AM

when I first started solo players still dropped with groups

it did not bother me as long as I learned something

now I realize I am a bommer on an island, to me the game is the game
that means play the game as it is given (I would not rewrite the rules of the game "Risk")

I am still shocked that you can go on the forums and cry about something and they change the game
or the other one is the totally fabricated catch phrases
broken, OP, and other terms

I am like who told you LRMs are broken (answer my mom said its broken lol)

finally and to the point
any change you make they (the player base) wont like it
which imho is why PGI has given up on MWO

almost everything that was added to FP they dont like and they are constantly demanding removal
of stuff like conquest, scouting

GLHF

Edited by Davegt27, 29 January 2020 - 07:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users