Gameplay

24 replies to this topic

#1 Alphaeus

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

This week I've come across several players, one in particular, though, who have complaints about MWO. As I see it, there are two types of complaints. The first type of complaint is understandable because it addresses things that don't work even though they should. For example, there are invisible objects on a map that you can get hung up on, or weird situations where your 'mech drops with bugs because of how something saved/didn't save in the 'mech lab. Or there are maps that run like garbage even though they're 'new' and you're using a machine that's well within game spec, hooked up to a high-speed internet connection. (Looking at you Solaris S#!++y and Hibernal Grift.) These kinds of complaints are valid, they can be routed to PGI, isolated, and resolved. There are channels for this--here, on this very forum.

The second type of complaint amounts to hating on the game for what it is and *for what you knew it was when you logged in this morning.* For example, I spent the past two evenings dropping with a player who suicides each time "Capquest" gets the vote. This player knows Conquest is a game mode in MWO, but his story is that "a lot of us protested it when it was developed" and "I'd rather lose than win by capping." That's as may be, but capping is built into the game as a valid win strategy. And winning amounts to more XP and more C-Bills. I can't think of any of us who don't want more of those.

This player--let's call him "Captain Quest"--spouts off on the mic every time we drop into Conquest mode. I'm not talking about a one-sentence snark attack, I'm talking about a sermon on the ancient evils of Conquest mode and the story of the valiant few that fought it (and lost) sometime just after the Battle of Pelennor Fields. What happens when he complains sermonically like this? Here's a step-by-step:

1. He complains
2. I mute him. And I'm betting I'm not the only one.
3. When the match is over, I leave him muted.
4. Over time, I accrue a long list of muted gripers who I can't hear when we drop together. Since many of these complainers are loyal players of the game, that's getting to be a long list of muted but otherwise competent complainers, people who I should be listening to on a good day, except that they're such a pain in the ear on a bad one.
5. We drop together, but I can't hear anything they're saying--because once upon a time they had to bogart the air waves.
6. They say important things but I don't hear; we lose.
7. They get cattier, complain more, and yet somehow can't find another title to move on to.
8. See step 1.

What's happening with all the toxicity over things that work just fine except that you hate them is that it's slowly killing gameplay because you're making yourself an annoyance. Put your big kid pants on and play a game mode, or map, or during an event that you didn't want to play. Or just don't log on. But your griping is ruining what you claim to be such a fan of, and the rest of us are getting tired of it.

And just in case you're wondering, this also applies to people who verbally dominate the match. (That is, you talk too much, or you say inane things we don't care about, or you bring up politics, or you're crass, mean, or giving us a steady stream of your 'mech's existential viscera: "Uh, my large laser's out"--great; we don't care. MUTE.)

#2 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:47 AM

There are 23 other players in the same scenario as you. What is common is the scenario. What is unique is someone unable to cope or deal with it.
I train my sons with this.
They complain about something being “unfair” and I challenge them to accept the asymmetry in life, because it’s always going to be there in everything and learn to adapt, adjust and work within it.

Getting CTed after 2 exchanges from a critical hit in the engine sucks, but it’s part of the game design.
Not working with your team because you are spending effort and energy hitching about something you have no control over in the moment is a waste of time and will only guarantee defeat.

Counter Example. Last night we dropped into Rubilite. We had 2 Cadets. 1 DCed in an assault before first contact.
Here had Ottobug in a Highlander briefing teammates and lazering everyone before 1st contact.
We had another scout mech immediately die.

People were complaining and losing their ****.
3 of us laughed, “Is this a joke? Is this some kind of test?”
So we got frosty, got focused on commas and pulled through.

I know the player of whom you speak. He does the same in Faction Play as soon as **** starts going South.

#3 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

I probably know exactly who you're talking about, though I can think of at least 3-4 T1 players that do this sort of thing regularly. It's annoying, but they've been doing it for so long I'm really not expecting they'll change anytime soon.

#4 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

They complain because bad builds should stay out of FP. They complain because people who have been playing since 2016 can't average higher then a 170 match score in QP but think its a good idea to go into FP and get the same score across 4 mechs.

However report the suicide idiot those guys just need to GTFO.

#5 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:51 AM

Complaining about complainers xD

#6 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

View PostNightbird, on 30 January 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

Complaining about complainers xD

Now, we just have to wait for someone to complain about those who complain about the complainers.

I doubt we will have to wait long....

#7 Kurlon

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

This thread is triggering my offensensitivity.

#8 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:46 AM

View PostAlphaeus, on 30 January 2020 - 07:27 AM, said:

This week I've come across several players, one in particular, though, who have complaints about MWO. As I see it, there are two types of complaints. The first type of complaint is understandable because it addresses things that don't work even though they should. For example, there are invisible objects on a map that you can get hung up on, or weird situations where your 'mech drops with bugs because of how something saved/didn't save in the 'mech lab. Or there are maps that run like garbage even though they're 'new' and you're using a machine that's well within game spec, hooked up to a high-speed internet connection. (Looking at you Solaris S#!++y and Hibernal Grift.) These kinds of complaints are valid, they can be routed to PGI, isolated, and resolved. There are channels for this--here, on this very forum.

The second type of complaint amounts to hating on the game for what it is and *for what you knew it was when you logged in this morning.* For example, I spent the past two evenings dropping with a player who suicides each time "Capquest" gets the vote. This player knows Conquest is a game mode in MWO, but his story is that "a lot of us protested it when it was developed" and "I'd rather lose than win by capping." That's as may be, but capping is built into the game as a valid win strategy. And winning amounts to more XP and more C-Bills. I can't think of any of us who don't want more of those.

This player--let's call him "Captain Quest"--spouts off on the mic every time we drop into Conquest mode. I'm not talking about a one-sentence snark attack, I'm talking about a sermon on the ancient evils of Conquest mode and the story of the valiant few that fought it (and lost) sometime just after the Battle of Pelennor Fields. What happens when he complains sermonically like this? Here's a step-by-step:

1. He complains
2. I mute him. And I'm betting I'm not the only one.
3. When the match is over, I leave him muted.
4. Over time, I accrue a long list of muted gripers who I can't hear when we drop together. Since many of these complainers are loyal players of the game, that's getting to be a long list of muted but otherwise competent complainers, people who I should be listening to on a good day, except that they're such a pain in the ear on a bad one.
5. We drop together, but I can't hear anything they're saying--because once upon a time they had to bogart the air waves.
6. They say important things but I don't hear; we lose.
7. They get cattier, complain more, and yet somehow can't find another title to move on to.
8. See step 1.

What's happening with all the toxicity over things that work just fine except that you hate them is that it's slowly killing gameplay because you're making yourself an annoyance. Put your big kid pants on and play a game mode, or map, or during an event that you didn't want to play. Or just don't log on. But your griping is ruining what you claim to be such a fan of, and the rest of us are getting tired of it.

And just in case you're wondering, this also applies to people who verbally dominate the match. (That is, you talk too much, or you say inane things we don't care about, or you bring up politics, or you're crass, mean, or giving us a steady stream of your 'mech's existential viscera: "Uh, my large laser's out"--great; we don't care. MUTE.)

Yeah, I think you're taking it too seriously. Personally I haven't seen such quitter, but even if I did I wouldn't pay much attention. It's a f. game, man, not an office ))

#9 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

If we don’t complain about something while on the internet, then the balance will be upset from all the polyanna energy from fanboys of [insert beloved universe].

But it can be healthy to voice concerns and discuss them and be checked by others.

Or be reassured it happens, vent, find like minded individuals and their approach and then move on to more stomps robot fighting.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

View PostKodyn, on 30 January 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

I probably know exactly who you're talking about, though I can think of at least 3-4 T1 players that do this sort of thing regularly. It's annoying, but they've been doing it for so long I'm really not expecting they'll change anytime soon.

You know 3-4 people that do this sort of thing regularly? Wow. I’ve played this game for years on a near nightly basis and I will put the number of people who I have witnessed “regularly” killing themselves immediately at the start of a match at zero. Sure there has been an exceptional occurrence of “hey that guy just ran out of bounds” every once in a while, or the occasional rage quitting folks in FP who just can’t stand to get humiliatingly rolled by the usual suspects, yet again; but I have never seen someone do this repeatedly let alone “regularly”. Even the ubiquitous discoed assault, or AFK player has never (that I have noticed), been the same person over and over.

#11 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 January 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

You know 3-4 people that do this sort of thing regularly? Wow. I’ve played this game for years on a near nightly basis and I will put the number of people who I have witnessed “regularly” killing themselves immediately at the start of a match at zero. Sure there has been an exceptional occurrence of “hey that guy just ran out of bounds” every once in a while, or the occasional rage quitting folks in FP who just can’t stand to get humiliatingly rolled by the usual suspects, yet again; but I have never seen someone do this repeatedly let alone “regularly”. Even the ubiquitous discoed assault, or AFK player has never (that I have noticed), been the same person over and over.

Regularly standing and non-participating on map/mode combinations they don't like, generally Conquest, and specifically in Assaults. Same people, any match it happens, yes, two of which I believe are friends because I see them sync drop a lot. Each are names I recognize from the forums and/or years of matches. Like I said, it's irritating to be 1-2 down from the start, but it happens rarely enough I've never spent much thought on it until now.

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:14 PM

View PostKodyn, on 30 January 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

Regularly standing and non-participating on map/mode combinations they don't like, generally Conquest, and specifically in Assaults. Same people, any match it happens, yes, two of which I believe are friends because I see them sync drop a lot. Each are names I recognize from the forums and/or years of matches. Like I said, it's irritating to be 1-2 down from the start, but it happens rarely enough I've never spent much thought on it until now.

Damn. That would drive me nuts. Why play a game to... not play? It’s one thing to play badly, or stupidly, or whatever, but to simply stand there and refuse to participate without being AFK as an excuse, just kind of boggles my mind a bit.

#13 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 30 January 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

Damn. That would drive me nuts. Why play a game to... not play? It’s one thing to play badly, or stupidly, or whatever, but to simply stand there and refuse to participate without being AFK as an excuse, just kind of boggles my mind a bit.
I've encountered that a few times. Recently a pretty extreme case - he openly refused to move his Dire Wolf from spawn on Therma Assault, then around 9 minutes into the match he marched into the out-of-bounds lava field and engaged override to suicide his mech.

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image

26 jan 10:30 AM EST

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

View PostHorseman, on 30 January 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

I've encountered that a few times. Recently a pretty extreme case - he openly refused to move his Dire Wolf from spawn on Therma Assault, then around 9 minutes into the match he marched into the out-of-bounds lava field and engaged override to suicide his mech.

That's pretty pathetic. At the very least he should 11 PPC Alpha Strike.

#16 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

I got better things to do than listen to some whiner in game
After all thats what forums are for?
Their whinging is stopping me receiving possibly important information/calls (Quick Play LOL) , so they get muted. Posted Image

#17 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:46 AM

I agree, you're obliged to play out your matches once you've chosen to play the game.

And don't complain and rant on comms. We have a player in our unit who seemed unable to stop constantly ranting into the mic, very annoying and I had to mute him.

My suggestion if you need to rant out loud is to keep doing it but with your mic off, that way you satisfy your needs without bothering other players.

#18 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:33 AM

From your post I can see you take this serious.
So I now its not helpful to advise you not taking this too serious.

Over the last 5 years I had the luck not too often to drop with those guys.
I Only met some pre mature "I report you for .....".
But that was annoying enough, so I understand you.

But in the end it is really only one choice.
Accept some "idiots" and ignore them or play another game.
And I was told MWO has a very mature and tolerant community compared to other online games.

#19 BCAW

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

Can't say I relate too much with what you are saying here. I've only met one person like that in-game. Guy was really unhappy that the map was Forest Colony, so he suicide charged right into the enemy team, got insta-nuked, and spent the rest of the match stating how much he hates Forest Colony on voip.

#20 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:00 PM

View PostAlphaeus, on 30 January 2020 - 07:27 AM, said:

[color=#959595]6. They say important things but I don't hear; we lose.[/color]

important things. in QP..

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users