Best Hotas For Mwo And 5

8 replies to this topic

#1 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

Before you say 'search is your friend', I did, and the most recent post I can find on this is 2018. Things might have changed since then, new products might have come out. And, well truth be told I got sucked into a timewarp the other night reading some of you guys very awesome desk/mechpits. Arcades were a thing in my day, so I always envisioned making some type of desk/mechpit of my own (like the kind I used to sit in at the arcades and spend waaaaay too many quarters), even at age 13 or so, but seeing some of you guys actually make something like that, brought back that desire for a joystick experience. And now as opposed to back them, I got the skills and bit of cash to throw around some type of project like that.

When I played the first Mechwarrior waaaaaaay back when, I played it with a Sidewinder (can't remember the exact one). I loved the experience of it; helped with the immersion, and it was just fun as heck. Now, I do realize that MWO and maybe 5 (haven't played that one yet) are a different game now, and maybe even developed with a mouse and keyboard in mind. Still, I'm really intrigued in getting a new joystick/hotas to play the game. I'm fine with a mouse and keyboard, but the nostalgia of using a joystick just kind of hit hard.

How many here use a joystick or hotas? If you do, what's your recommendation for MWO (for eventually playing 5 as well)? The Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Hotas seems to be talked about most in past threads. The Warthog reads as the most advanced, but oy that price tag. Any from Saitek?

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:10 PM

The best joystick for MWO is not to use a joystick for MWO.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 02 February 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

The best joystick for MWO is not to use a joystick for MWO.

No, this is the best joystick:

Posted Image

#4 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:26 PM

Reading your topic reminds me 100% of my story.
Even the Sidewinder.
But the only tip is the one from Prototelis.
Stay with m/k if you want to have success in MWO.

If not buy a refurbished Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 (I did this for Star Citizen) and you get the best technic for small money.

Edited by Mumuharra, 02 February 2020 - 09:28 PM.

#5 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:36 AM

I use a Thrustmaster T16000M, and it works the best of any joystick Ive had. I will switch to a mouse for sniping howerver, which Im admittedly terrible at. I agree though in the grand scheme of things m/k is better overall, but you can play perfectly well with a joystick. You just have to tailor your game to it, and play to your strengths. I wouldn't play this game without a joystick just because I find m/k a dreary way to play.

#6 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

I use a CH Pro Throttle as a button bay, steer with rudder pedals (MFG Crosswind) and aim/shoot with a Logitech MX Ergo trackball. That said, I still get pwned by m/k players Posted Image .

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#7 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

CH for function and quality. Warthog if budget isn't an issue. But do yourself a favor and don't use HOTAS in MWO. You will get wrecked by M+K players.

#8 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

I actually ran a Saitek and a Thrustmaster in MWO for a little while.

A very little while.

Attempting to coordinate both hands fried my brain.

#9 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:39 AM

it's a shame, really. running mwo with a joystick would be so much more immersive,
and boy, this game could use some immersion.

but yeah: m+k it is. anything else, and you probably punish only yourself and your teammates.*
Posted Image

*there are exceptions and there are players actually good with a stick, but it's not the rule.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 08 February 2020 - 08:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users