What I Love About Mw5: Mercs

9 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:51 AM

So, I recently started my second playthrough.

And even though the campaign missions and quests are the same as before, all the in-between missions are not.

The game still feels fresh and new, even though I've mastered certain things by now.

But what amazed me was that I'm not using different mechs, different play styles, and it all feels different at times.

In my first campaign, I only found an enforcer when I already had Atlases. Now, I found them in Kurita space early on, and already have two - what a change!

This time, I'm also keeping Kurita na Davion both from hating my guts.. I'm no hero yet, but it's fun being on the teeter-totter of Faction ire..

I can't wait for the DLC to bring the "go to any part of the map and find a mission for your current level" feature - it will make the game even more replayable!

Keep up the good work!

P.S.

PGI, here's an Idea - if you're gonna let us go to any part of space and find level-appropriate missions, make also an alteration to the campaign:

Aftter you establish your own mercenary company, have the player select a part of space where they want their journey to start! It doesn't always have to be Davion space!

Edited by Vellron2005, 07 February 2020 - 12:58 AM.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:12 AM

I'm not impressed by the mech availability, however. I personally think that the campaign should've lasted just 5 years or so and we'd start at the year where all of the equipment are available to us, so something like 3045. Right now, if I want to find a Mauler or some such, I'd have to wait decades and it doesn't help the fact that your crew and yourself are immortal. It's silly and boring to have to keep going through the same cycle to find new stuff.

#3 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 07 February 2020 - 04:12 AM, said:

. . . and it doesn't help the fact that your crew and yourself are immortal.

Mason is going to be pushing well past 50 by the time the clans come around and he's the youngest of the crew!

Edit: I think for my next play through, I'll see how quickly (in-game time) I can get through the main story line. Anyone else have a read on the fastest to get through?

Edited by Five by Five, 07 February 2020 - 10:38 AM.

#4 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, haha. So far, my campaign is at like 5000-something days, and I'm still Rep 10. Taking my time. But that means that it's been 14+ years.

Maybe they go into cryostasis for jumps, lol.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:40 PM

View PostFive by Five, on 07 February 2020 - 10:26 AM, said:

Mason is going to be pushing well past 50 by the time the clans come around and he's the youngest of the crew!

Edit: I think for my next play through, I'll see how quickly (in-game time) I can get through the main story line. Anyone else have a read on the fastest to get through?

If I remember correctly from "Tex Talks Battletech", Kerensky during the Amaris Civil War, managed to retake the systems in a few short years. So, it doesn't take long to jump from system-to-system.

PGI could've simply started the campaign at 3045 and in a few years, we could've come across all of the changes in tech. Once the campaign was done, we could just go back to the grind. But that's just me.

#6 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:08 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 07 February 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

If I remember correctly from "Tex Talks Battletech", Kerensky during the Amaris Civil War, managed to retake the systems in a few short years. So, it doesn't take long to jump from system-to-system.

Unless you have Lithium-Fusion Batteries (which no-one in the Inner Sphere does at this time) or you're using a "Pony-Express" system (something only Great Houses can pull off and then only with large negative ramifications for their economy), it's 1 week and 30 Lj max per jump.

Travel times are actually pretty accurate, according to lore - in fact, travel from planet to jump-point (or the other way) is actually on the short side.
------------------------------------------------
I have to admit that Kerensky's "March to Terra" is pretty fast though - 5 years from conquering the Rim Worlds Republic to reaching Terra - and perhaps a wee bit unrealistic, if I can use such a word with regards to a fantasy setting.

Of course, one has to keep in mind that Kerensky quite likely (I'd have to look this up) used an "Island hopping" strategy, going straight for Terra where he knew Amaris himself would be and only taking key planets on the way.
He might even have taken a "Those two Divisions can take that planet no problem, let's move on the the next target while they are still pacifying it" approach.

#7 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:36 AM

I'm not arguing against the speed of travel between systems per se. All I'm saying is that the main campaign in MW5 could've spawned just a few years, starting from 3045 or something to 3050. This way, we could've experienced all of the tech inside the main campaign timeline and didn't have to suspend belief that the player and his crew and everyone else didn't age at all.

#8 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:17 AM

The thing is, this forces a certain play-style (i.e. kinda rushing the campaign missions) on people.
Personally, I'm doing a _very_ slow approach. I'm now at rep-11 and it's already around 3035, so I'm some 20 years in. I have a pair of tier-1 Gauss (got a Highlander and a Hero-Hunchback with one each) and one tier-0 from a High Reward mission, some Artemis SRMs, a couple of ER PPCs and a few Pulse lasers.
The thing is, with how the game is set up, those weapons and the few DHS I ripped out of some Heroes are _valuable_ things. Finding them feels great, losing one of them feels really, really bad and this, IMO, is how it should be.

With money not being much of a problem (hey, I suck at this game, and if _I_ don't have problems staying financially afloat, money shouldn't be a problem for 99% of the player-base), this is the one thing that keeps tensions up and forces me to make some hard decisions.

Am I going to put those last three DHS into the Stalker, risking losing them or will I store them for later and possibly never using them?
Do I hand over that Highlander with the Gauss I can't replace to an AI pilot or will that mech collect dust in the mech-bay, because I'm too afraid of losing that Gauss?

If I can buy GRs, ER PPCs and DHS by the dozen in every second shop, all of this goes out the window.

I get that you want to play with all those shiny toys, but, for me at least, they are much more valuable as rare things I have to first find/earn (I'd actually prefer if Hero mechs wouldn't be buy-able, but could only be earned through campaign and/or high-reward missions) and then, once I got one or two of them, have to worry about losing them again.

As for suspending disbelief because the player and his crew aren't aging, well, Morgan Kell, Natasha Kerensky, Jamie Wolf and a ton of other mechwarriors were quite deadly after what, 50+ years of riding mechs?
I don't have much of a problem with my character still kicking *** after some 35 years in a mech, thank you very much.

Granted, having him age visually in-game would be nice, but suspension of disbelieve is already turned to "infinite" because, well, this is Battletech. Without infinite suspension-of-disbelieve, the whole universe doesn't work for one second.

Edited by Hawk_eye, 08 February 2020 - 04:17 AM.

#9 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

My mason is well over a 100 yr's old,
may have a couple years in the campaign, but hundred plus in just traveling, looking for that mech (which ever one I was looking for)

I suppose if you (whoever) were to run the whole campaign, in Co-Op, time would be a whole lot shorter, and could be done quicker.

my AI will listen, but don't shoot, tell them to go after X and they're just looking at X not firing anything, if I had to make the same call in a full Co-Op, I know they'll be squeezing the trigger at that target, pretty sure I wouldn't need to be calling targets in a Co-Op anyways

#10 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

View PostHawk_eye, on 08 February 2020 - 04:17 AM, said:

If I can buy GRs, ER PPCs and DHS by the dozen in every second shop, all of this goes out the window.

Higher tier weapons, then. But that's just me. I don't like grind-y games when most of the features in the game aren't memorable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users