#1 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:41 AM

Okay, so this isn't for everyone. I'm not an amazing MWO player, but I'm one of those guys who tries hard and takes builds seriously and feels pretty good about a lot of my games. I don't think those 95%+ comp bada##es will necessarily benefit from this, but I believe that ever since I started playing MW5 (trying to play well, anyway), I've noticed my skill in MWO go up.

After my first week playing MW5, I noticed that when I came back to MWO, I felt that my reflexes were quicker. I was snappier. Ever since, I go back and forth between games (because I love them both, but MWO more).

I was looking over my Jarl's List changes for the last few seasons last night, and noticed that in the last season, I've had a pretty big jump since I've been playing MW5 every few days.

IMO, Here's why:

S_k_e_e_t Shooting and Paper Dolls

I believe those faster reflexes I mentioned are because of snap-shooting all of those tanks and v-tols. And HOLY $HIT, it's an IGOR! KILL IT! KILL IT! But seriously, going through those MW5 missions, I'm so frequently shooting down carriers and tanks and choppers as quickly and efficiently as possible so that I can get back to the mech threats, that it's improving my overall mech piloting reflexes.

Also, for some reason, I focus way more on the paper dolls in MW5 than I used to in MWO. Maybe it's because in missions, you have to fight so many more mechs than MWO's team v team, so you have to be efficient to survive until the end. Or maybe it's the slightly slower pace compared to MWO, giving me more opportunity to study an incoming enemy mech's paper doll. Maybe it's always fighting those locusts, spiders, cicadas, etc. that makes me want to check their legs so often. Either way, all of that paper doll examination has been translating over into my MWO play as well, which makes me a much better MWO pilot, targeting weak points and/or disarming opponents instead of just going for CT.

Maybe we try so much harder to avoid taking damage in MW5 because he have to pay for damages, so there's no consequence-free YOLO'ing, haha.

What do you think, guys? Are you experiencing a similar increase in MWO skill from playing MW5?

(Edit: the word S_k_e_e_t is censored? That's weird. I had to put underscores in. Why in the world would that be ******'d out?)

Edited by Renzor the Red, 07 February 2020 - 10:43 AM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:34 PM

not for me, not at all. if anything its made my mwo game worse.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:18 PM

It does help some people who never used targeting information, mini-map, learning to take less damage and not rushing at enemies when there's no advantage in doing so.

I'm guilty of the last one in MWO 'cause whenever I see my teammates being extra passive and not shooting at enemies, I try to calm and be patient but only for a minute or so. Then, I notice that the enemies get a kill or two and I just want to end the misery. If only I could command my human teammates....

#4 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:56 AM

For me, my first playthrough left me amazed that I had even touched some weapons in MW5 that I never used in MWO. Things like AC's, Gauss, and PPCs..

In MW5 those weapons are super fun and useful, while in MWO I admit I kinda suck with them, compared to LRMs..

My second playthrough I'm dedicated to using LRMs more since I saw a NARC for sale early on (but have yet to buy one) and have found an Archer as my first heavy at rank 6..

I have completely different play styles for each game, so have not detected any change in ability.

Edited by Vellron2005, 17 February 2020 - 03:56 AM.

#5 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:48 PM

I think the aspects you point out .. snap shots at small targets, paying attention to targeting information could improve your play in MWO if you weren't using them already. However, MW5 lets you get away with staring down opposing mechs. You don't need to torso twist much if at all to try to spread damage. MW5 doesn't tend to hit you with massive PPFLD, mechs have mixed loadouts and the sized hard points limit the range of builds. MW5 doesn't teach some of the really important lessons that help in playing MWO and some of the play style aspects that work fine in MW5 will be suboptimal in MWO.

As long as you don't pick up some bad habits in MW5 it could improve your aim and related aspects in MWO but otherwise it probably won't have much effect or could make play worse.

#6 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:31 AM

I think MW5 gives you a sense of confidence that some players don't have in MWO, where they peek around corners and take pot-shots with the goal to minimize damage/exposure as much as possible whereas in MW5 they learn to stride about shooting stuff.

That can be taken too far of course, but it promotes a healthy balance of pushing forward and holding back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users