Solaris 7 Does Not Work

26 replies to this topic

#1 IndustryMerc

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

So I am a causual Mwo player.. and tried out this solaris 7 for the events/achievements/unlocks.. and I am beyond confused AF.. my first match i must select one of 7 trial mechs.. no other options.. I cannot use my own mechs.. something i know and am familiar with .. instead I am forced into some random mech and expected to play someone else.. ok sure.. except.. THEY HAVE THEIR OWN MECHS???? WTF i am forced into random trial mechs and they get to use a mech that is clearly not a trial mech?? really confused here.. is there some secrete menu or shortcut.. do you have to dreg it up and get level 2 on a sponser before you are allowed to use your own mech??? even if so why am I being matched against someone allowed to use their own mech and I am forced to use some random trial mech???

Would love some clarification on this matter..
Checked forums.. saw one saying you were supposed to be able to use your own mechs.. and clearly someone is using their own mech.. however in practice in game it does not work for me at all.. I have 1 mech from each chasis available.. maybe only innner sphere mechs are allowed and since I have all clan mechs?? however no where does it state this or anything like this.. its just here are random trial mechs.. pick a patron and get matched up... thats it.. no introduction.. no tutorial.. no nothing..

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

You have to look and see what division your mechs are in.

#3 IndustryMerc

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 February 2020 - 04:15 PM, said:

You have to look and see what division your mechs are in.

Doesn't matter I have one of each weight division.. light, medium, heavy, assault so should not matter which one??

#4 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

Solaris has 7 divisions, it isn't separated strictly by weight class.

#5 IndustryMerc

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 February 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

shouldn't 1 of my 4 mechs show up in 1 of the 7 divisions??

#6 IndustryMerc

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 February 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

also confused by divisions.. I see no divisions anywhere??

Is a division like a skill thigy.. which one is better.. which one is worse.. why is there no tutorial on this??

#7 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:44 PM

View PostIndustryMerc, on 08 February 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

shouldn't 1 of my 4 mechs show up in 1 of the 7 divisions??

Short answer: No

You can look at the divisions here: https://mwomercs.com/s7-mech-divisions

While higher divisions (such as Div 1) usually have higher weight classes (Assaults/Heavies), there are light/medium mechs that are in higher divisions than some heavy/assault mechs. It's all based on a rough approximation of competitiveness by PGI. Div 4 for example has all four weight classes in it (light/medium/heavy/assault).

If you want to pilot your own mechs you need to check the division that they are in and then play that division.

That said, I don't recommend playing Solaris at all if you are a casual player unless you are okay with losing a lot (aka all the time). Solaris divisions have a very specific meta, even though there are dozens of mechs in a division, there are probably less than half-a-dozen mechs that are viable in any given division. More often than not there are one or two builds that are clearly superior and will dominate the others.

If you can't buy specific mechs for a division, build them specifically for 1v1s, and skill them out completely you're probably going to have a bad time in Solaris.

Even if you are willing to figure out what mech, variant, build, and skill tree is best in each division and use it, with the current population you are almost certainly going to be primarily going against experienced veteran pilots who know exactly what they are doing in a 1v1 and they are going to tear you apart as a causal player. There's no team to compensate for your performance in Solaris, you can't just try and contribute. You either bring the best builds and outplay your opponents or you lose.

Solaris is the least friendly mode for casual players. You either get better or you lose all the time.

#8 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

View PostXiphias, on 08 February 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

Solaris is the least friendly mode for casual players. You either get better or you lose all the time.

Or you take the biggest mech with the most dakka and stand in a corner with your back to a wall like all the "good" players.

#9 IndustryMerc

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

Thank you Xiphias for a nice detailed answer .. it seems a little silly that the game doesn't have some kind of in division information available in game though..should be some kind of menu with a list of available mechs by division sorted by weight class as a default standard...

Edited by IndustryMerc, 08 February 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#10 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:55 PM

You can sort the store and your mech inventory by division.

lol at "good players only sitting in the corner"

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 February 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

You can sort the store and your mech inventory by division.

lol at "good players only sitting in the corner"

You'll notice only "good" was in parenthesis.

#12 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

You won't notice it was an incorrect statement. It was meant to be a jab at a valid tactic, don't act like it wasn't.

#13 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:23 PM

View PostIndustryMerc, on 08 February 2020 - 04:47 PM, said:

Thank you Xiphias for a nice detailed answer .. it seems a little silly that the game doesn't have some kind of in division information available in game though..should be some kind of menu with a list of available mechs by division sorted by weight class as a default standard...

Unfortunately, the UI in the game can be lacking at times. As Prototelis mentioned you can sort your mech inventory by Division (though you may need to be in the Solaris menu to do it).

If you still want to give it a try and have specific questions on builds and things I'm happy to give what advice I can. I haven't really played much recently, but there hasn't been a lot that has been changed so most things should be pretty similar.

Another tip is that you can look at the players on the top of a division and see what mech they used most recently. That should give you a pretty good idea of what the current meta in a division is.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:26 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 February 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

You won't notice it was an incorrect statement. It was meant to be a jab at a valid tactic, don't act like it wasn't.

Cowering in a corner is a valid tactic?

That's like saying it's a valid tactic when I lead them in a circle and run out the timer because I can't out dakka them...

Or when I take my viper and jump outside the main arena of Steiner coliseum...

#15 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 08 February 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

Okay, cool, established.

You were making a jab at a valid tactic because you don't understand it or the game mode.

#16 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 08 February 2020 - 04:47 PM, said:

Or you take the biggest mech with the most dakka and stand in a corner with your back to a wall like all the "good" players.

bring more dakka and shoot them better.

#17 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

It's actually referred to as "shooting them guderer"

#18 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 08 February 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

Yes.

Blame the game mode not the players. People trying to win will use whatever tactics are most effective, and though it might not be an interesting or fun tactic, it is usually a pretty effective one. Like gen rushing or dropship camping in FP, while not sporting or fun, they are/were effective tactics.

Siting in an advantageous position when you gain no benefit from moving is a strategically sound strategy. Similarly, assaults that back into a corner when you play against them in a light are making the best choice they can to try and win the match. The best counter tactic is to not engage and run the clock down. Makes for boring matches, but good tactics usually don't make for exciting games.

I may not like it, I may wish they didn't do it, but the way the rules are written it is absolutely a valid (and often smart) tactic.

#19 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

Playing turret warrior in Div 1 is a reasonable way to win a game which is fundamentally about killing mechs and nowhere near the the level of stupidity that gen rushing like a miserable farb is.

#20 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:29 PM

Waiting to knock off a ST with burst damage, because you can reliably get the first shot by waiting where you can control approach is a valid and smart tactic.

Nothing cowardly about it.

It's really just setting up a smart trade.

Calling it cowardly and pusha pusha pusha for no reason are core to the reason why we need a 20 lap thread for discussing the intricacies of dual rotations. Congratulations Bruinwald; you helped create that meta by fundamentally not understanding best practices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users