- - - - -

Controls Types

9 replies to this topic

#1 ThianRaven

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:27 AM

Is this a Keyboard and Mouse only game or can a Joystick be used? And if so where do I find the information on setting one up please.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:57 AM

MWO can be played with Joystick and HOTAS. But if you ask me (and I figure the large majority of experienced/successful players), you are better off with M+K. Way more precise.

#3 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:06 AM

is not MW4 and optimal build for Joystick

#4 ThianRaven

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:56 AM

Now next dumb question. Is there a practice part instead of just being dropped into a game? I think I messed up a team earlier and I need to know what does what before I do it again.
I liked what I saw and I did get a kill assist. so Ill be buying a proper mech in a couple days to replace the noob one I was using.

Also does MWO have a Discord channel and if so what name is it using please?

#5 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:44 AM

Their is a tutorial and a training ground with stationary mech targets to shoot.

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:15 AM

Yeah, we have the Academy as a basic tutorial and training facility, and then you can access the training grounds from the mechlab.
There's no official Discord for MWO, rather some independent that stuck over the years.
Comstar eu1.mech-connect.net dunno if it's still active, though.
Several still active units run their own TS servers
HHOD ts3.hhod.com:7345 and many more
MW5 however, has an official discord https://discord.gg/2DXB6Zt

Edit: Isengrim maintain both, Discord and TS servers https://mwomercs.com...-hub-ts-server/

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 13 February 2020 - 05:40 AM.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

View PostThianRaven, on 13 February 2020 - 03:56 AM, said:

Is there a practice part instead of just being dropped into a game? I think I messed up a team earlier and I need to know what does what before I do it again.
Academy and Training Grounds. Academy features several training scenarios, Training Grounds are "just" dropping you into a map with a bunch of dummy mechs to shoot (but it's semi-useful to evaluate build performance).

so Ill be buying a proper mech in a couple days to replace the noob one I was using.
Get your 25 Cadet matches in first, to get the full cadet bonus, and make sure to complete the checkpoint race in the Academy at maximum tier (it pays C-Bills). Try out the trial mechs so that you have a better idea what kind of mobility and weaponry you're looking for.
Best check in in here with description of what you're looking for - we may be able to suggest a few chassis for your consideration.

Also does MWO have a Discord channel and if so what name is it using please?
There are multiple Discord and Teamspeak hubs. You may be looking for MWO Comp (which, while oriented around competitive play, has "general" channels) or OutreachHPG.

Edited by Horseman, 13 February 2020 - 03:14 PM.

#8 ThianRaven

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for all the help. I like the Rifleman IIC Im wondering if it could carry 2 Ultra AC-5's and 2 Ultra AC-10's? Also if I buy the standard Rifleman IIC chasis. can I upgrade It with better gear like Armor, Engine and such? Or is it a static frame?

#9 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:26 AM

Yes, once you own a mech you can fully customize them. Right now you are using TRIAL mechs, these are free mechs but you can't customize their builds, also they don't use space in you mech hangar. Note that you can only own a limited amount of mechs, you start with 4 hangar bays, so you can own up to 4 mechs simultaneously but you can get more hangar bays at 300 MCs (earned in events but mostly with real money) and also by participating in FW as a reward for advancing loyalty tracks.

If you buy the Rifleman IIC be aware that it's a bit of a glass cannon, you'll hit hard but will be taken out easily as well. Nothing wrong about that but as newbie maybe you need something that allows for more positioning errors. If you still go for Rifleman I recommend buying the Rifleman IIC-II, it's the most popular for good reason. If you second guess yourself and decide for an sturdier yet less punchy mech I suggest Hellbringer (any), Vapor Eagle (1, 3 and A) or Warhammer 6R, all very solid mechs.

Finally and regarding builds, since you are new be aware this game requires a lot experience to really understand it and know how to build mechs, probably the best way to do it is just by experimenting yourself and reading the forums and reddit's MWO channels so you really get the feel of every mech and weapon systems. There's a lot of fun in that if you are onto that but it certainly isn't the fastest or most efficient path to success so if you just want to do as well as possible as fast as possible just follow the link https://grimmechs.is...ts?list=general , all mechs listed as TIER S are top mechs and will make your first days a lot easier, that said if you jump right in into them you will miss a lot of experience.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:21 AM

The game is quite mature and set in stone since its in maintaince and further balance changes are unlikey.
So my advice is, dont reinvent the wheel since younger scientists (MWO Community) have already done it for you.
So I suggest watching some you tube of the best players and stealing their builds.
Saves a heap of time, and that way you can focus on your mech skills.
Advice from a semi successful filthy casual old guy.

Google "Proton MWO" Twitch for example , then go to his videoes and steal his builds
Posted Image and watch how he playes to gain shortcuts to awesomeness.

Also in game if you notice some one doing consistently good and your able to spectate steal their build too.
And notice how they play, and what grids they traverse on what maps to gain shortcuts.

OZHomerOZ The Thief

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 February 2020 - 02:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users