Finished Tabletop Jumpjet Overhaul

4 replies to this topic

#1 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

I had some missteps but can now confirm that I have the physics of jump jets working as close to tabletop as possible. Since BattleTech uses the same values for all mech sizes the curves are the same for all JJ types. Unfortunately I can't edit global gravity which is only 5.0m/s2 to earth normal of 9.8m/s2 so it is still floaty on descent, but ascent is much better. Vertical acceleration is now 7.9X faster, and horizontal acceleration is 5.6X faster but still keeps to strict tabletop jump height and horizontal height. Jumping from launch to landing now takes only about 5-6 seconds with regeneration at around 10 seconds (TT rules are 1 jump every 10 seconds).

JumpJet_ClassX_AccelZ_Curve (same for all Classes)
Set time 1 = 750
Set time 10 = 3000

JumpJet_ClassX_AccelXY_Curve (same for all Classes)
Set time 1 = 560
Set time 10 = 3170

JumpJet_Class1_Equipment
Initial Velocity Z =0.0
Burn Time = 3.0
Regeneration time = 7.0

JumpJet_Class2_Equipment
Initial Velocity Z =0.0
Burn Time = 3.0
Regeneration time = 6.0

JumpJet_Class3_Equipment
Initial Velocity Z =0.0
Burn Time = 3.0
Regeneration time = 5.0

JumpJet_Class4_Equipment
Initial Velocity Z =0.0
Burn Time = 3.0
Regeneration time = 4.0

JumpJet_Class5_Equipment
Initial Velocity Z =0.0
Burn Time = 3.0
Regeneration time = 3.0

Edited by Oraeon1224, 16 February 2020 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

Test it out in the Editor.

Remember to only burn for 2 seconds not the full 3. The last 1 second is for descent. You can gain non TT height and distance but risk damage if you use the full 3 seconds to ascend.

For jump height testing you can set a commando in the map and scale its size by the following formula: (#JJ * 10) / 9 = Scale value. Your feet should be able to just clear it if you entered the scale correctly and you left gravity on default.

For horizontal height testing you can jump from next to the commando, turn around, and use your gunsight to measure the distance. Tabletop rules are #JJ * 30 = Distance jumped in meters

I can't understand how to create a pak file currently. If anyone wants to enter this data into the editor and then use the above files to create a pak to upload to nexus I am cool with that. I don't even particularly care about getting credit. I am going to try to figure out how to fix JJ heat next and hope they modify the editor to simplify the .pak process.

#3 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

I found that heat values for Jump jets were off. I altered the HeatGeneration curves to match tabletop rules as best I can using a 100 MW5 to 30 TT conversion. In game it seems pretty accurate and for 8JJ spider takes 10 seconds to dissipate the heat.

I finally figured out how to cook and create .pak files. I have uploaded this mod to the nexus. Next I am going to modify the weapons DPS and heat per second based on 10 second tabletop rules and see how the AI handles it (I already have excel files that does the variables for me so it should be quick).

Edited by Oraeon1224, 25 February 2020 - 11:04 PM.

#4 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:39 AM

Please make a mod so we can test it.

#5 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

Already done and updated to correct the heat. It is on nexus mods JumpJetMod_TableTopRulez.

I am also currently overhauling the weapons to make them match tabletop. I created a spreadsheet to allow me to calculate the simulator values from shots per round to match tabletop damage and heat per round. This keeps TT damage per round with some uniqueness to weapons. I also used sarna and technical manual to mod the autocannons to match lore. Default AC fire 10 shots over 1.7 seconds and burstfire fires burst at 3 shots over 0.5 seconds. Really changes the game. I also altered Gauss and AC20 to only fire once per round with TT values (doubled to match doubled armor). This allows them to deal very heavy damage to smaller locations (especially Gauss which doesn't fire burst). They are now very deadly (kill a light in two shots) but also like TT very limited by ammo.

I am cooking and going to play in game for a week and see if tabletop setups are actually playable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users