58 replies to this topic

#21 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:21 AM

View PostHorseman, on 22 February 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

Wasn't that tested in court by CIG recently?

I did some searching and the article at https://www.eurogame...citizen-lawsuit seems to make the most sense to me, although the whole thing itself seems more convoluted than a full plate of spaghetti. From what I gathered, Crytek accuses CIG of changing the engine, which the CIG says it did not, except it kind of did, but the CryEngine was bundled with Lumberyard (another engine) so it just tagged along. I agree that the case may open some doors out of the worst technological bottleneck for MWO, but I just struggle to process all this mess ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ If anyone can shed any light on the matter I would be very grateful.

#22 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

I can shed some light on the subject;

We are totally unaware of any license agreements in place.

#23 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:59 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 23 February 2020 - 11:48 AM, said:

I can shed some light on the subject;

We are totally unaware of any license agreements in place.

You must be fun at parties.

#24 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:07 AM

I agree that there shouldn't be cadets or trial mechs in FP, most cadets probably didn't understand what they were entering. Not their fault, but they shouldn't be there.

#25 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 23 February 2020 - 11:59 PM, said:

You must be fun at parties.

I'm actually awesome at parties, thank-you.

View PostSjorpha, on 24 February 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

I agree that there shouldn't be cadets or trial mechs in FP, most cadets probably didn't understand what they were entering. Not their fault, but they shouldn't be there.

If only there was like a warning given the first time you click the faction play button.

#26 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:40 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 February 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

If only there was like a warning given the first time you click the faction play button.
If only the warning was enforced in some way...

#27 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:58 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 19 February 2020 - 05:25 AM, said:

Play Faction only for what it is intended for. An end-game mode where people with proper skilled mechs play. You bring a trial mech there you are not only handicapping yourself, you also handicap the team. Why would you want that?

Cause your name is Kaukas and you don´t care ^^
Or was it some other one of the near-endless terribads that are pestering and plaguing FP ?

#28 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:24 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 February 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

Which evidently isn't working.

Edited by Sjorpha, 25 February 2020 - 10:26 PM.

#29 KW Driver

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:13 AM

Just my $.02 worth here..

The game as a whole needs new players, and badly.. Just in case you haven't remembered, F2P only works when the money keeps coming in, and I rather doubt too many of the "pro/elite" players are handing over cash in fistfuls anymore. The very second the game ceases to be financially viable, then it ends. Traditionally in f2p, the most cash comes in from newer players that want to circumvent the early grind to get equipment that performs reasonable to their expectations, so they can start building perks and igc at a reasonable rate. Now enters attitude.. how are you going to tell players that have spent real world money that they can't play because they haven't been around "long enough", or they can't fill a deck with mechs that fit the tonnage requirements? And on top of it, telling them they can't play because they don't live up to your expectations? Sorry, but your elitist crap needs to go away.

The goal of a business is to make money, not give handouts to freeloaders that think they're mess don't stink. How good you are doesn't mean squat to the bottom line. What matters is how much real world money you are putting into the kitty to keep the product financially viable. And news flash, the top 1% of players rarely contribute ANYTHING financially. They already have what they want/need so they just play and that equals a net loss on the bottom line. Fresh customers are where the money is at, unless of course all of you elites think going to a subscription based, pay-to-play model works for you, but then that has its' own pitfalls, too........

There are n00bs everywhere, in every game, and they just have to be tolerated.. There is no solution for them. One match you may get crippled by a n00b or 3, but the next match maybe the other team will get them. The only way to solve greifers is with active moderation on the servers, and that can only be implemented by PGI, and it will cost resources, which hurts the bottom line. If you play video games enough to be at the top 5% of the leaderboards, then you should already know how to live with them, as they have been around since the first online multiplayer experiences, so crying about it is about as useful as crying about the sky being blue.

Am I in the top 5%? certainly not.. Am I a n00b? well, I'd like to think not, but opinions may vary. What I am is a player who would like very much to see this game continue on, not fizzle out and die, and especially not because some over achiever whines his way into convincing someone to kill it for their own selfish reasons.

#30 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:38 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 February 2020 - 02:27 PM, said:

Actually no.

So until I say that - refrain from making invalid and just [redacted] claims. Especially when I discuss these topics regularly on stream for all the world to see - and refute your silly statements.

Seriously? You need to go back and read your posts and compare them to what is being asked or said.

By discuss, do you mean state your point of view then put blinkers and ear plugs in?

You may refute, but the evidence is sprawled over the whole forum.

#31 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:48 PM

View PostKW Driver, on 26 February 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

The game as a whole needs new players, and badly..

MWO, due to PGIs lack of development (and poor implementations) has seen some 25,000 players leave.

New players coming in? That ain't happening in any great volume. To think it will is unrealistic.

FP was meant to be end-game content. PGI borked it. Either way yes FP should be gated. It should have been gated from day 1. However at day 990, it's pointless.

That said Cadets have no place. As said many times they have a negative experience, everyone else does - so please, tell me, how does EVERYONE have a bad experience mean they will come back? If it was gated, they should not have a bad experience and might actually keep playing - That is actually thinking about the situation and using ones brain.

No one has said that FP is for the Top 5% only. Just that there should not be CADETS in there and that is correct

#32 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

View PostPeppaPig, on 26 February 2020 - 10:38 AM, said:

Seriously? You need to go back and read your posts and compare them to what is being asked or said.

By discuss, do you mean state your point of view then put blinkers and ear plugs in?

You may refute, but the evidence is sprawled over the whole forum.

If there is so much "evidence" sprawled across the forum then please go find a post to back up your claim that I said that:

Cadets are to blame for the failure of FP.

Hot tip - You will never find one.

PGI are to blame for the failure of FP. You will find I've said that 100s of times on the forum.

#33 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:23 PM

View PostKW Driver, on 26 February 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

The game as a whole needs new players, and badly.. Just in case you haven't remembered, F2P only works when the money keeps coming in, and I rather doubt too many of the "pro/elite" players are handing over cash in fistfuls anymore. The very second the game ceases to be financially viable, then it ends. Traditionally in f2p, the most cash comes in from newer players that want to circumvent the early grind to get equipment that performs reasonable to their expectations, so they can start building perks and igc at a reasonable rate. Now enters attitude.. how are you going to tell players that have spent real world money that they can't play because they haven't been around "long enough", or they can't fill a deck with mechs that fit the tonnage requirements? And on top of it, telling them they can't play because they don't live up to your expectations? Sorry, but your elitist crap needs to go away.

The goal of a business is to make money, not give handouts to freeloaders that think they're mess don't stink. How good you are doesn't mean squat to the bottom line. What matters is how much real world money you are putting into the kitty to keep the product financially viable. And news flash, the top 1% of players rarely contribute ANYTHING financially. They already have what they want/need so they just play and that equals a net loss on the bottom line. Fresh customers are where the money is at, unless of course all of you elites think going to a subscription based, pay-to-play model works for you, but then that has its' own pitfalls, too........

There are n00bs everywhere, in every game, and they just have to be tolerated.. There is no solution for them. One match you may get crippled by a n00b or 3, but the next match maybe the other team will get them. The only way to solve greifers is with active moderation on the servers, and that can only be implemented by PGI, and it will cost resources, which hurts the bottom line. If you play video games enough to be at the top 5% of the leaderboards, then you should already know how to live with them, as they have been around since the first online multiplayer experiences, so crying about it is about as useful as crying about the sky being blue.

Am I in the top 5%? certainly not.. Am I a n00b? well, I'd like to think not, but opinions may vary. What I am is a player who would like very much to see this game continue on, not fizzle out and die, and especially not because some over achiever whines his way into convincing someone to kill it for their own selfish reasons.

I don't disagree with you there, however here we are looking at people literally incapable to comprehend what is going on in an ENDGAME MODE. I am absolutely fine with people not being skilled at me. To clarify, this post is targeted towards the very low end of the spectrum. Cadets: less than 25 matches on the account. Trials: unskilled with terrible loadouts and armor distribution. I can argue that what I am doing is to not give new players a negative viewpoint towards Faction Play because they got roflstomped due to their inexperience or poor choice of mechs and hope that they come back to the mode when they have proper mechs so they can enjoy the mode more. I can also argue that them deciding to play FP without proper loadouts or experience in the game as selfish. It goes two ways.

#34 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:44 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 26 February 2020 - 11:23 PM, said:

I don't disagree with you there, however here we are looking at people literally incapable to comprehend what is going on in an ENDGAME MODE. I am absolutely fine with people not being skilled at me. To clarify, this post is targeted towards the very low end of the spectrum. Cadets: less than 25 matches on the account. Trials: unskilled with terrible loadouts and armor distribution. I can argue that what I am doing is to not give new players a negative viewpoint towards Faction Play because they got roflstomped due to their inexperience or poor choice of mechs and hope that they come back to the mode when they have proper mechs so they can enjoy the mode more. I can also argue that them deciding to play FP without proper loadouts or experience in the game as selfish. It goes two ways.
The problem is that the horse is out of the barn at this point. And then instead of putting the horse back in, PGI burned down the barn. I drop in groups of 2-3 on weekends; without the cadets and trial users we would never drop and neither would the opponents. The queue is rarely even it's usually sitting at 38-11 or some other ridiculously imbalanced number. You are better off attempting to coach up any newbies you see than try to bar them from entering.

#35 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:49 AM

aentering., in fairness, this hasn't been endgame content since 1 bucket. When capping existed and nerd politics caused map movement, it was boss mode. Now it's just 4 mechs battle royal with literally no effect on anything. He'll, even the leaderboards don't bother showing unit's w/l records and stuff anymore. We should all just be happy we get drops and try to welcome new guys in; being critical in a positive way is better than telling people to come back after months of qp grinding since only a small percentage of players even bother with the mode.

#36 KW Driver

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:01 PM

My point stands thus: if there are problems making a drop at all, why are we talking about excluding ANYONE.. I have sat for an hour at a time in FP que waiting for a match, and wound up going back to QP.

which is better? play a mediocre game that has a chance of getting some interesting times, or sitting in a que all day because there aren't enough players to start a game?

If you can't see the forest for the trees, ya know..

how it was originally intended is immaterial at this point.. that is the past, and making warm wishes for things to be as they were is a case of putting want in one hand and dung in the other to see what fills up faster.. at this point taking what you can get is the best you can hope for.. is it ideal? No, but is it better than nothing?

I don't think that PGI has abandoned anything.. I think that they are a small indie studio, with limited resources that were being dedicated to releasing their second title, and now that it has happened, resources will be spread back out across both titles...

I see fresh players (cadets) in QP all day long 3, 4, even 6 at a time.. let them decide for themselves what is fun, and they will stay.. if they get clobbered in a FP match, then they go back to QP and practice some more.. They leave when the atmosphere is toxic. If they are getting called out and told they don't belong, THAT is when they leave, not because they lose a match to a more experienced player.. If you're yelling at them because they dropped in a light mech, or they have a trial mech, then YOU are the problem, because you are creating that negative atmosphere. Then one of two things (or even both) will happen. They leave for good because of the elitist attitude, or they come back as greifers and start shooting you in the back, or doing other activities that sabotage the game, because to them, getting even with a jerk is fun in itself. So, as I said before, if you've been playing video games for any length of time, you should know this and have learned long ago how to deal with it. If your whole world is going to end because you lost a match in a video game, then I think you probably have bigger issues than who is or is not allowed to play in a particular level of the game.

As far as players not listening, keep in mind that the whole world doesn't necessarily speak English.. you may be saying something to them, and they just flat out don't understand you.. That's part of having a worldwide player base. Keep in mind that the reality is the number one market for video games is China, followed by India; not the US, and not Europe or Australia. and most of those players don't speak a word of English.

#37 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

View PostKW Driver, on 27 February 2020 - 10:01 PM, said:

I see fresh players (cadets) in QP all day long 3, 4, even 6 at a time.. let them decide for themselves what is fun, and they will stay.. if they get clobbered in a FP match, then they go back to QP and practice some more..

Absolutely not.

That is why any decent game has gateways to protect new players from overly negative experiences.

Doing 100dmg over 4 mechs in Faction Play as a CADET in TRIAL mechs - is about as negative as it gets. It quite literally doesn't get any worse than that - and not only is it bad for them - it's bad for the other 23 players. Having a negative impact on all 24 in the game.

CADETs / Trials are the exception and not the rule. Thus disabling them would not really have a major impact in overall terms.

If anything to access the "end game" content, with a pop-up saying so, it would motivate people to play more to actually unlock it. Having a net positive effect to the game.

View PostKW Driver, on 27 February 2020 - 10:01 PM, said:

As far as players not listening, keep in mind that the whole world doesn't necessarily speak English.. you may be saying something to them, and they just flat out don't understand you.. That's part of having a worldwide player base. Keep in mind that the reality is the number one market for video games is China, followed by India; not the US, and not Europe or Australia. and most of those players don't speak a word of English.

You really think that there are more Chinese playing MWO than English speaking (or at least, understanding?)...

You really don't get it I'm afraid. Chinese are not the segment market for this game nor are they prolific in playing it either.

#38 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:09 AM

Doesn't matter at this point. Ban cadets and you'll have founders who die with 50 dmg in QP / 200 dmg spread across four mechs in FP filling their spots instead. Same ruined experience for everyone, prolly even more facedeskworthy. MM doesn't do jack apart from wasting your time. You'll never have any sort of enjoyable experience when you purchase a Minimally Viable ProductTM.

#39 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:27 AM

While I want new players in the mode (to keep it alive) as much as anyone. Having a low gate of no trials and no cadets just means you can’t play the mode if you can’t possibly compete (do better than awful) in the mode. That bar is super-low and would make the experience better for everyone, especially new players who are getting their teeth kicked in.

#40 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:29 AM

Another low gate that ought to be considered: Requiring enabled VOIP unless the player is tagged as Hearing Impaired already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users